COMMENCEMENT AT AKELEY.
AMIDST BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS
AND KIND WISHES OF FRIENDS. FOUR
BRIGHT INTELLIGENT YOUNG LADIES GRADUATE AND FORM THE CLASS OF 1891.
Promptly at 11 o’clock the young ladies of Akeley marched into St. John’s church singing, followed by Rev. Wilkinson, Chaplain; Mrs. Wilkinson, Principal; Rev. Dr. Egar and Right Rev. Geo. D. Gillespie, Bishop. The church having previously been decorated by the juniors with flowers and evergreens in a handsome and tasty manner, the like of which has seldom, if ever, been seen in the church on any occasion.
The Bishop delivered the address of welcome in an able and kindly manner, speaking of the generous donor of the Institute and grounds in words of strong praise and commendation and telling of the first trials and troubles in starting the Institute, and spoke of the wonderful progress made and pictured in glowing words its future prospects and hopes, and the wish of all present was, may all his closing predictions come true.
Then the Institute girls sung the class song as follows:
Lord, thy children guide and
As with feeble steps they press.
On the pathway rough and steep,
Through the weary wilderness.
Holy Jesus, day by day,
Lead me thy narrow way.
There are stony ways to
Give the strength we sorely lack.
There are tangled paths to tread:
Light us, less we miss the track.
Holy Jesus, etc.
There are sandy wastes that
Cold and sunless, vast and drear,
Where the feeble faint and die,
Grant us grace to persevere.
Holy Jesus, etc.
There are soft and flowery
Decked with golden fruited trees.
Sunny slopes and scented shades;
Keep us Lord from slothful lease.
Holy Jesus, etc.
Upward still to purer height:
Onward still to scenes more blest,
Calmer regions, clearer lights,
Till we reach the promised rest.
Holy Jesus, etc.
The Bishop addressed the graduates Miss Fanny J. McCrath, of Grand Rapids; Miss Mary Rippey, of Muskegon; Miss Grace Messer, of Hastings and Miss C. Ethel Soper, of Lansing and presented them their diplomas. The beautiful gold badges for the class of 1891 were then presented by Mrs. J. E. Wilkinson with appropriate remarks and the praises of the year by Rev. J. E. Wilkinson as follows:
For Scholarship, Miss Grace Messer.
Honorable mention in Scholarship three years course, Miss Mary Rippey.
Improvement in Vocal Music, Miss Fanny L. McCrath, Second prize Vocal Music, Miss Kate Jones. Instrumental Music, Miss Fanny Ford.
Prize for neatness in dormitory Miss Sadie Courtright.
Prize for Good Conduct, Miss Laura Squares.
The prize for the greatest improvement in the Art Studio was given to Miss Eva Lyons.
The Rev. Dr. John Egar, of Rome, N. Y., then delivered an address to graduates and it was one of the most able and interesting addresses that our citizens have ever had the pleasure of listening to. His remarks were full of interest to both graduates and citizens and was delivered in a forcible and masterly manner.
The church was crowded and and included visitors from all parts of the state. Among the visitors from abroad we noticed Dr. and Mrs. Rippey and Miss Florence Hamilton of Muskegon, Mr. and Mrs. McCrath, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. P. Brayton, Mr. Arthur Sharpe, Misses Johnston and More of Grand Rapids, Rev. J. E. Bancroft and Mrs. Bancroft of Hastings, Rev. Mr. Stearns of St. Johns, Rev. J. Rice Taylor of Saugatuck, Rev. Mr. Damon of Ludington, Mr. Messer and Miss Goodwin of Hastings, and Principal Thorpe of St. Johns school, Delafield, Wis.
We are in receipt of the new annual of Akeley Institute, just out. It is a beautiful piece of the printer’s art and contains three elegant illustrations, one of the present college building, the addition soon to be erected and the art studio. The annual contains information of interest to every parent having daughters to educate. Aprops we extract the following bit of information from Mich., which the pamphlet contains and which may be new to some of our residents.
Akeley Institute, the gift of the Hon. H. C. Akeley as a memorial to his daughter, is the Diocesan School for Girls in Western Michigan. Opened in September, 1888, the Institute has, during the three years of its existence, been remarkably successful. There are at present three buildings, which, with the grounds, are valued at sixty-five thousand dollars. The rooms are finished in hardwood and are well lighted, and heated by hot water. The plumbing is of the most modern kind, and the ventilation and sewerage are perfect.
The life of the boarding pupils is more that of an educated Christian home than that of a school; the Domestic, Social, and Educational departments are under careful supervision, and all things possible are done to fit the pupils to take their places in society as refined Christian women.
The entire course of study of the Institute comprises four years each, in Preparatory and Collegiate Departments.
Evening Tribune Front Page Next Article