Grand Haven, Mich.   November, 1891

The Evening Tribune



   Hallow’een was observed very quietly in this city, the weather being too cold for the average small boy.


   Don’t forget that you can get anything you want in the shape of printing at the EVENING TRIBUNE office.


   The tug C. M. Browne of Saugatuck took the burned steambarge Frank Woods to Saugatuck last evening.


   The wind bound fleet in our harbor took advantage of the calm of yesterday afternoon and evening to make for their destinations.


   A fair audience were at the Opera House, Saturday night, to hear the Hon. Mark Brewer and Hon. G. W. McBride discuss the issues of the day from the Republican standpoint.


   Some boys were celebrating Halloween in Grand Rapids by making a bonfire of fallen leaves.  The wind blew the leaves around and a $4,000 school house is now in ashes.


   The case against Julius Kolber of Grand Haven township for criminal assault has been bound over to Circuit Court.


   A house occupied by “Indian Joe” situated on what is known as the “island” was burned Saturday night.  A spile driver in the river near the place was partially burned.  Loss unknown.


   Members of the Life Saving Crew found a head board on the north pier Saturday evening bearing the name Active.  The loss of a craft of this name has not been reported, and it is probable that the head board was knocked off by the heavy sea.


   The foot ball match between the seniors and juniors of the High school, Saturday, must have been a sadly mixed affair.  One side reports the score to have been 3 to 1 in favor of Morie Kirby’s eleven.  The other side confess their defeat, but report unfair playing by the winning 11.


   Cornelius Blom, a Holland business man, filled up the sample case of C. J. VanHalteren with bricks in place of the cigars that usually repose there.  The traveling man lugged the heavy case of superior sample brick around town and did not discover that he was a victim of misplaced confidence until he was about to board a train to Zeeland.  The expression on the cigar man’s face was worth traveling miles and miles to see.


   The doctors attending Mrs. Capt. Mansfield, who was seriously injured at Sturgis Thursday by being thrown from a carriage, report that she will not be able to be around for six weeks, and that possibly it may cripple her for life.


   Col. William Ludlow, United States engineer in charge of Michigan rivers and harbors, will be in the city next Saturday to meet the river committee of the local board of trade.  If the steamer Barrett, which is hard aground, can be gotten off, the entire party, accompanied by the congressman elect, will make a tour of inspection to Grand Haven.—Grand Rapids Leader.




   The Akeley Institute Building is rapidly nearing completion.  The masons work will be finished next week.


   Mr. E. P. Kinkema, father of P. and H. Kinkema, died at his home on Elliot street, aged nearly 76 years.


   A gentleman known as the “New York Giant” and standing seven feet 6 inches in his stocking feet registered at the City Hotel Sunday.  He was on his way to Milwaukee to join a museum.


   The steamer City of Milwaukee has been laid up here for this season.  The Milwaukee has had a successful season, and much credit is due to Capt. Smallman for his skillful handling, not a trip having been missed this season.  The Wisconsin will continue to run every day.  The Roanoke will be put on the line in a week or two to run alternately with the Wisconsin.


   Dr. C. T. Smith, a noted and most efficient optician and oculist, is at the Kirby and will remain two days, and will doubtless do considerable while here for the many who have been long suffering from misfit glasses.  He comes here well recommended by the most eminent physicians of this and other States.  The Dr. gives special attention to errors of refraction.


   About nine o’clock this morning four boxcars and a way car went through an open switch just west of the C. & W. M. depot.  The cars after leaving the track plowed along the ground a short distance leaving a furrow three feet deep.  One of the box cars was badly damaged, being nearly completely knocked from the wheels.  The way car lays on the side and is damaged on the front.  Fortunately no one was injured.


Behind the Footlights.

   “Myles Fadh,” which translated from the Gallic means “Tall Myles,” is a romantic Irish drama which is being well received in the large cities of the country, held the boards at Co. F Opera House last night and was greeted by a full house.  The play is well staged; the company carry and use all of their own scenery, among the special scenes being Hollybrook Hall, the road to the chapel, Holy Cross Abbey, the pathway through the woods, O’Toole’s cottage and Ferncliffe road, several of which the somewhat limited stage room of the house making it impossible to use here.  Chas. Gibney, the bright young author of the piece, as “Myles Fadh,” and his partner, D. H. Seully, as Darby O’Dowd, lawyer, counselor and agent, are popular actors of recognized merit, and their supporting company includes some clever and versatile specialty people.  Miss May Deyo, “the Coleen Dhu,” scored a hit, and particularly pleased the gallery gods, who could not retain their enthusiasm during the remainder of the play, by a lively song and skirt dance in the last act.


   In conveying the other day with an old gentleman on the subject of speed in traveling, I spoke of the marvelous rapidity of ocean steamers now-a-days, and the speed accomplished on the New York central railroad in running from New York to Buffalo 436½ miles in 439¾ minutes, a rate, allowing for stops, of 61.44 miles per hour.  “Well,” said he “that is wonderful,” only think that 45 years ago in 1846 I was 24 hours in going by that same Central road from Buffalo to Albany!  And worse than that he continued, “in 1836 I was a student in Lane Seminary, Cincinnati.  Prof. Stowe, of the Seminary, was in Europe, on his return—there were no ocean steamers in those days—he was nearly ninety (90) days from London to New York, 30 days of which time was spent in boating out of the English channel.  So much for speed in those days.


   The first sprinkle of snow in the autumn of 1891, in Grand Haven, occurred on Sunday last.  It all disappeared as fast as it fell.  This same remarkable gentleman, who is mentioned in the last paragraph above, tells me that he traveled on foot treading through the newly fallen snow of several inches depth on the 2nd day of October in 1836, from the hotel where he had stayed over night in Cincinnati, to Walnut Hill, a distance of about two miles.              



Ghosts Ghouls and Goblins.

(A Solemncholy Warning.)


This be the time at nightly hours

   When ghostly visions show their powers;

Unscantly up railway tracks they roam,

   Watching for good folks away from home.

Ye earthly mortals, now beware,

   Unearthly spirits pervade the air;

Hob goblins, ghouls, immortal things,

   In divers place their footstep rings.

Hasten the electric lights around

   That greater safety may be found,

Each …… wind, its seeming wail.

   May be but echo of ghostly trail,

As forth it stocks with all its clun,

   (Twice armed now the cross-eyed man)

Gaze it fiercely in the eye,

   Saying by “St. Patrick flee or die.”

Thus by this token you will be

   Free from ghostly blood, if it should flee;

But if it lingers, as if for pelf,

   By this same token flee yourself,

And rouse the town with dreadful shriek

   That officers and night-watchmen may safety seek.

So beware, be watchful, ghosts are round,

   Where e’er there’s shadows they abound,

And in ghoulish glee gnash their bony chops,

   Watchmen and sheriffs, carry “pops,”

Politicians, also, should go armed

   (Or else save the mark they may be harmed)

And thus protected why they mote

   Importune his ghostship for a vote—

People’s party, Prohibitionist, please take note.

   Grand Havenites, be watchful pray

When goblins come just say them “nay;”

   We all count “one” on census day,

We cannot spare one soul away;

Take care, be watchful, do beware.





Elected by a Safe Plurality.  Democrats concede over

900 Plurality.  Republicans claim 1200 to 1500.


   Chas. E. Belkamp is the man who will go to Congress from this District.  His election is conceded by Democrats by a plurality of over 900, while Republicans claim from 1200 to 1500.  The returns from outlaying districts are not all in, but as far as heard from, indicate that the different counties in the District give Belkamp pluralities about as follows:  Kent 400; Ionia 300; Ottawa between 200 and 300; Allegan 400.  Belkamp’s plurality in Grand Rapids is 161.

   Mr. Haggerty, Republican candidate for Police Judge in Grand Rapids received a plurality over the Democratic nominee, Mr. Carroll, of 796.

   The result of the vote in Ottawa county is about as follows:  Lawrence, Democrat, 1787; Belkamp, Republican, 1944; Hutchins, Peoples, 805; Shultes, Prohibition, 118.


   The publication of the new historical, statistical and business encyclopedia  of Ottawa county is one of the most important enterprises ever inaugurated in the county.  Every business man should advertise in it.  It should contain every professional man’s card and every family should have a copy of the book.  Canvassers are meeting with flattering success.


   The tug Keiser Wilhelm brought a scow load of brick to the electrical plant this morning.




   The Electric Light Co. finished placing the wires for the street arc lights today.


   Jacob Baar has closed the sale of the Johannes Goldberg place on Peach Plains to Cornelius VanZanten.  Consideration $1,200.


   The last load of gravel for the grading of Fulton st. is being placed on that street to-today.  Street commissioner Dykema superintended the work and did a fine job.


   The stockholders of the match factory at their meeting last evening decided to commence the erection of a factory at once.  It will be located on the four lots recently bought of Jacob Baar near the planning mill.


   The incandescent dynamo for the electric light plant has arrived.  Vyn Bros. are transferring it.


   The brick and stone foundation that is being constructed in the electric plant company’s building for the Walker pump is nearly finished.


   The new encyclopedia of Ottawa county will be a book well worth $10 to any family.  It will be sold on subscription for $2.00.


   Senator Stockbridge, Col. Ludlow, Congressman elect Belknap, members of the special river committee of the Board of Trade, Grand Rapids, and possibly Senator McMillan will make a tour of Grand river, from Grand Rapids to this city, Saturday.


   A young groceryman and a young fisherman went hunting yesterday afternoon and after spending $3 for a rig, $1.50 for ammunition and about $5 worth of time, they brought home only six rabbits.  They claim eight rabbits killed, but that the dogs made a meal of two of them.  We will forgive them for the benefit of the doubt.


Stephen L. Lowing.


   Capt. Stephen L. Lowing died at his residence in Allendale yesterday morning, Nov. 4th, aged about 74 years.  Stephen L. Lowing has been a notable figure in Ottawa county for more than fifty years.  He was born in Western New York and came into what is now Georgetown about 1838, and resided in the county until his death.  He was sheriff for four years back in the forties, supervisor of Georgetown for many years and prosecuting attorney from 1869 to 1875.  One of the first men in Ottawa county to respond to the call of his country in the war of the rebellion, he was commissioned first lieutenant of Co. “I” of the old Third Infantry, May 13, 1861, was promoted to captain in October following and was badly wounded in the hip at Fair Oaks, May 31, 1862.  From this wound he suffered much the rest of his life and it was probably the cause of his death.

   Captain Lowing was the owner and of the largest and most valuable landed estate in Ottawa county.

   The career of Captain Lowing as a lawyer was most remarkable.  His early education was limited to a single term in a log school house in Western new York, and his manhood to the age of about fifty was spent in the labor of farmer and lumberman in the woods of this county.

   At the age of fifty he was admitted to the bar, the next year was elected prosecuting attorney and removed to Grand Haven.  In his position as prosecuting attorney he was the terror of evil doers, and during the fifteen years of his residence in Grand Haven, the period in which by vast litigation the land titles of this county were settled, he was on one side or the other of every important suit in the county.

   He procured the largest law library in the county and by his midnight study, clear legal mind, powerful, although sometimes quaint eloquence, grit and combative qualities, he was facile princes of the Ottawa bar.

   That a man with no school education, spending his mature years to an age when most men are getting ready to retire, as a woodsman, should at the age of fifty study his books like a college bred man and easily take front rank in a learned profession is most remarkable.

   Growing deafness compelled Mr. Lowing’s retirement from the law in 1883, when he removed to Allendale where he died, and spent the rest of his life in improving his thousand acre farm on the Great Pigeon Creek marsh in Blenden and Olive.

   It was often remarked during Mr. Lowing’s career as a lawyer that he resembled the great Lincoln in many ways:  in build and personal appearance, in his commanding mind with lack of early education, in the lightning of his countenance and his ungraceful person becoming most graceful with the fervor of eloquence, and in the most tender of hearts.

   No poor client who told a story of wrong to Steven L. Lowing ever lacked a powerful advocate to the law’s end because he lacked money to pay his lawyer or his costs.  Many a poor man or woman in Ottawa county will think of Stephen L. Lowing with tears when his death is known.

   Mr. Lowing’s funeral will leave his residence in Allendale at 10 o’clock a. m. tomorrow (Friday, 7th.)  Services will be at Bosworth school house in Georgetown and he will be buried near his old home in Georgetown.  His pall-bearers will be his associates of the bar.


The Spring Lake Suicide.


   The body found recently in the waters of Spring Lake was identified at the inquest as that of a man who had been about town several days, about a week previous.  He stated that he hailed from Milwaukee, and had been stopping at Grand Haven for some days.  He was evidently very tired of life as the following letter was found upon his person, fairly written in German upon an ordinary sheet of letter paper, and wrapped in a piece of Milwaukee German newspaper.


   Tired of life.  For 20 years I have born my problems without disclosing my plight to any one except my sainted wife, and as she has been dead for some time, and I have no one now to whom I can carry my trials.  It is better for me that I should sacrifice myself.  Peter Klien from District Starkenburg.  And I am given to drink; do not want to live longer.  The world is a swindler’s roost; I would had I not been in it; I would I had never been born; I would not have lost courage.  I have experienced many bitter hours in this veil of tears




   A floor is being laid in the engine room of the Electric Light Plant.


   The case against Christopher Luther of Robinson for violation of the fish law was postponed until the 15th.


   A sign with the words “danger inside, etc.,” hung on the City Water Works door last night.  The ghost has probably changed his route to that part of town.


   The other dynamo for the electric plant is expected today.  After its arrival, but three or four days will elapse before the lights will be turned on.


   Muskegon has had our Chicago boat tied up in her harbor again for a couple of days.  This is positively getting monotonous.  It’s about as much as a man’s life worth to twit our neighbor of these things, but the truth will win out.


   The Grand Haven and Spring Lake bus will be discontinued today for the balance of the season.  But will be subject to orders for parties and special occasions at low rates.


   Are our newspaper brethren getting scared?  Brother Kedzie was seen about town last evening accompanied by a dog and a lantern, while the Express man importunes:  “Is it not about time that our officers should put a stop to this deviltry,” referring to the “ghost.”


   The executive committee of the Grand Rapids Board of Trade, Congressman Belknap, Senator F. B. Stockbridge, and Hon. J. C. Burrows and representatives of the press will come down Grand river on an investigating tour tomorrow reaching this city, it is understood, sometime in the afternoon.


Match Factory Building.

   The hauling of brick, and other work preliminary to the erection of the Globe Match Company’s building has begun.  Lots 1, 2 and 3, block 5, Monroe & Harris addition; on Sixth street back of Lewis & Bryce’s planning mill have been secured for the site.  The main building will be 30x40, two stories high and built of brick, cement floor and iron roof.  There will be three smaller buildings, for office, ware-room, etc., also of brick with iron roof, and with the exception of the office, cement floor.

   The work of building will begin at once and will be finished as soon as possible with all the help procurable.

   The officers of the organization are as follows:  President, H. W. Buswell; Vice president, S. H. Boyce, Sec’y and Treasurer, Geo. D. Turner.


   The tug Keiser Wilhelm brought a scow load of brick from Bertachy’s brick yard, Fruitport, this morning destined for the new match factory.


   The schooner Ruby which has been laying water-logged near the south channel bridge has been relieved of her deck load and the leaks and …. repaired.




   Henry Sprick lost a valuable horse this morning of heart failure


   The inside work of the electric light company’s building is receiving a coat of paint today.


   The steam barge Powers, loaded at Manistique, in trying to make Muskegon harbor yesterday got on a bar three times and finally had to be towed off with a tug came into this harbor last night.  The Powers draws about twelve feet of water.


   The latest person to brave a tussle with the ghost is John Cook, of C. N. Addison & Co.  As we understand it, Mr. Ghost “showed up” at the Wm. Mieras party last night and immediately on its appearance Mr. Cook, with his usual bravado, pitched into his ghostship and by a superhuman effort hastily threw the ghost down upon himself like a thousand brick.  The ghost seemed satisfied with this exhibition of his wrestling skill and quietly vanished into thin air, while Mr. Cook got up, rubbing his head midst plaudits and joined in the hymn “See the conquering hero comes,” J. Ball, of Ball & Co., was “in it.”  John and Jurien, respectively, are the heroes of west and east today.


   The Ferrysburg mill, formerly owned by the Grand Haven Lumber Co., has been sold to Capt. Robt. R. Haire and a Mr. Gardener of Chicago who will move the machinery to Georgetown, S. C.  Johnston Bros. of Ferrysburg have the contract for repairing the boiler and hauling the machinery to the cars.  Mr. J. Stewart of Grand Rapids has charge of boxing of the machinery and also has the contract for building the frame of the mill.  Mr. Lucius Lyman, Spring Lake, will leave for the south in about a month and superintend the placing of the machinery.  The mill has been a land mark for many years being built in 1867 by Mr. L. Lyman, it being the first of many he built in the state.  When first started it was owned by Hopkins & Ferry.  It had been in operation from the time it was built this season when it discontinued running.


Pleasant Anniversary Party.

   As enjoyable party as has taken place in our city for many a day was given by Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Mieras last evening the occasion of the 13th wedding anniversary to forty of their friends in this city.  There were also present Mr. and Mrs. Blom of Holland.  The pleasant home on Franklin Street was beautifully decorated with a profusion of flowers.

   A sumptuous supper was served, and interesting feature of which was a cake baked for the wedding thirteen years before.  This cake was well preserved and although not eaten was tasted of, and seemed not any the worse for its old age.

   The evening was passed pleasantly with music, songs, and games lasting until one o’clock.


Fish Packing.

   The fish packing business carried on by Capt. T. W. Kirby is by no means small, as one can see by making a visit to his packing house on Water street.  15,000 pounds of fish are already stored away (but a small part of the 50 tons the captain hopes to lay away this fall.)

   The fish when received are already cleaned thus the only thing necessary is to carefully pack them in ice, which is something of an art to do nicely.  The fish, when received, are placed in metal pans and solidly frozen together, making a mass as hard as a stone wall.  They are then placed in the stock room with their frozen brothers, being cross-piled one upon the other.

   The stock room is so arranged that a mass of frost coming from the ice room above keeps the temperature at about 20 degrees.



   There is a little more “like it” for this season of the year.


   The boiler room of the electric plant received a covering of iron, Saturday, making it fire-proof.


   The barge Chas. A Street came in at midnight and tied up at the pier.  She went to Fruitport at six o’clock this morning.


   The cast iron connections for the water works pumps have arrived.  They are to be used to connect the pumps with the well, from the electrical plant.


   Len Fisher has been cutting “bar” steak, etc., for a couple of days out of the hindquarters of a half grown bear killed near Nunica by Mr. Cross of Spring Lake.  We don’t mean to say that Mr. Cross killed only half a bear but that Len got only half of it.


   The Morning Press in its account of the excursion down Grand river Saturday pays the Cutler House and its management the following deservedly pretty little compliment:  “The visitors were conducted to the Cutler House, where further tempting edibles were provided.  All expressed their admiration of the beautiful new hotel, its fine furnishings and perfect management.”


   The attraction at the Opera House Saturday night was the ripest subject for a legitimate one of decayed hen fruit it was ever our fortune to see.  The boys who paid their money to sit in the gallery exhibited their good nature by confining their disapprobation to a generous use of adjectives and cat-calls.


Down the “Grand.”


   The party that came down Grand river from Grand Rapids Saturday was in charge of Col. George G. Briggs, president of the board of trade, and Capt. H. D. C. VanAsmus, secretary of the board, and was composed as follows:  United States Senator F. B. Stockbridge, Col. Ludlow, United States engineer; Congressman Belknap, Charles R. Sligh, vice-president of the board of trade and chairman of the committee on river improvements; ex-Lieut. Governor M. S. Crosby, G. W. Perkins of the Grand Rapids School Furniture company and director of the board of trade, Gen. I. C. Smith, Thomas Hefferan, president of the People’s Savings bank; C. H. Leonard, chairman of the special committee on a river line of steamboats, and John S. Lawrence, late Democratic candidate for congress.  The newspapers were represented by Swansberg of the Telegram Herald, and Rice of the Democrat, Milmine of the Eagle and Waters of the Morning Press.

   The talk by different persons as the steamer plowed its way to this city all related to the river and the project connected with it.  At 2 o’clock the party was seated to a banquet provided by caterer Warren Swetland, and in all respects it sustained its high reputation for artistic table decorations and delicious viands tastefully served.  Senator Stockbridge expressed the opinion that if the new line of steamers served such dinners it would be very popular for passengers.

   The health of Senator Stockbridge was proposed by General Smith in response to which the senator expressed his purpose to do all he can to secure a sufficient appropriation for the river improvement.

   Congressman Belknap said he was going to Washington to give his whole time in heavy work for the river improvement appropriation and for appropriations greatly needed for the harbors at Grand Haven, Holland and Saugatuck.

   The health of Mr. Lawrence was proposed and in response he earnestly pledged himself to do everything in his power to aid Captain Belknap in securing the appropriations needed for the district.

   Mr. Sligh submitted a letter from Senator McMillan in which he expressed the fear that he would be unable to accept an invitation to join the party, but saying further that he was familiar with the river from Grand Rapids to the lake and that it was not necessary he should go over it now.  He closed his letter by saying:  “In any event I am anxious to co-operate with your people in this matter and do so earnestly when I reach Washington.”

   Capt. Kirby placed his beautiful steam yacht “Joe” at the services of the Grand Haven reception committee and they were carried up the river to Battle Point, where it was expected the steamer Barrett would be met, but the Grand Rapids party did not make the time expected and the “Joe” and her passengers returned at dark to this city.

   In its account of the trip the Morning Press says:  “When Grand Haven was reached the party was met by many leading citizens including ex-Senator Ferry, G. W. A. Smith, S, H, Boyce, A. J. Emlaw, the venerable A. S. Kedzie of the Herald, Mayor Cutler, Capt. T. W. Kirby and Collector of the Port McBride.”

   “The shortness of the stay in that city was regretted by the visitors.  Many were particularly interested in hearing the views of Captain Kirby, who has given a great deal of close study to the subject of deepening Grand river, and at one time proposed to deepen the channel to fourteen feet to Grand Rapids for $750,000, and would prove his work by building a large lake steamer here drawing fourteen feet, to be floated out of here with her cargo to the lake.”




   The wife of K. Alsema, in the Third ward, died yesterday at 1 o’clock.  She was about 32 years of age.  She leaves no children.  Funeral tomorrow, 2 o’clock p.m. from the house.


   The suit of the Wiley water works vs. the City of Grand Haven has gone over this term of the Circuit Court.  In this suit Geo. A. Farr represents the city and Judge Howell of Detroit and Geo. W. McBride are attorneys for the works.


The City of Milwaukee Scorched.

   At about 8:30 last evening fire broke out in the engine box of the D. G. H. & M. Steamer City of Milwaukee.  In response to an alarm the fire department quickly reached the boat, though their progress was considerably impeded by the lines of freight cars, and the fire was extinguished before it had gained much headway.  The “city’s” fires were all out and the cause of the breaking out of this fire is a complete mystery.  She is insured but no estimate has yet been placed on the loss.  The engine box is pretty badly scorched, and burned through in two or three places injuring the cabin considerably.  The water also did some damage.


Give a Guess.

   Probably the largest pumpkin in the county may be seen in the show window of john Cook’s store.  It weighs 87 pounds.  A 50 cent purchase of dry goods at Mr. Cook’s entitles you to a guess the number of seeds the pumpkin contains.  If you guess nearest to the exact number you will receive a cash prize of $2.00.


Ex-Mayor Kirby’s Liberality.

   To meet a delegation of the board of trade and other notable citizens of the Valley City, including Senator Stockbridge, congressman Belknap and U. S. Engineer Col. Ludlow, making, on the steamer Barrett on Saturday last, a trip of inspection of Grand river with the view of such government improvement as will make deep navigation to Grand Rapids, ex-Mayor Kirby tendered his fine and fast steamer “Joe” for the occasion.  The common council and many enterprising citizens of Grand Haven boarded the “Joe” at 2 o’clock Saturday p. m. and with colors flying steamed to Battle Point and awaited the arrival of the Barrett.  On returning an impromptu meeting was held in the cabin of the ”Joe.”  Ex-Senator Ferry was called to the chair.  A committee was appointed composed of A. J. Emlaw, W. F. Kelly and S. H. Boyce to await upon ex-Mayor Kirby at the wheel and pay him for his expenses of the trip.  He responded in person that he had no charges, the trip was free to all,

   Then on motion, the chairman, A. S. Kedzie and G. W. A. Smith were appointed to report a resolution of thanks and the following was submitted and unanimously agreed to.

   RESOLVED, by citizens present, who represent the City of Grand Haven on this occasion, that in providing the steamer “Joe” for this and a former like trip free of any charge, ex-Mayor Kirby has repeated his recognized liberality and by the generous tender of his staunch steamer without expense to the citizens or city, has exhibited a broad enterprising spirit and zeal, and large appreciation of the importance to the Grand river valley of the project of constructing deep navigation between the cities of Grand Haven and Grand Rapids worthy of the man and project.

   We return him our hearty thanks for his generosity, and take occasion to thus express our fullest appreciation of his graceful act, which has contributed so much to the the commercial object and to our comfort and pleasure.


   Mr. C. H. Leonard, of Grand Rapids, who accompanied the excursion down Grand river to this city Saturday is full of the plans of his committee for securing a line of light draught steamers for the Grand Rapids trade.  He expects to have no difficulty in securing $50,000 in stock subscriptions for the building of two steamers, such as are needed for the river trade next season.




   Col. Ludlow will report favorably for and appropriation for dredging Grand river.


   The most remarkable record in the history of the turf was the time made in Stockton, Tuesday, by the two-year-old Arion, 2:10¾.


   Aloys Bilz of the village of Spring Lake offers $5 for the arrest and conviction of the parties who poisoned Dr. Newell’s dog, and $10 for leading to the conviction of the persons that poisoned a cow, turkeys and chickens belonging to Mr. Mersma.


   The Nunica stabbing affray of May 29th, Oscar Hunt and Bradley Taylor was the first case called in the Circuit Court and has occupied the time since and will probably not be disposed of for another day.  Prosecutor Danhof represents the people and Farr and Little the defense.



   Last night burglars gained an entrance into LaFebre & Meyer’s shoe store on Washington St., and carried away boxes of shoes valued at $25.  The drawers were all pulled out and goods evidently stolen from them also, but to what extent could not be estimated.  They left no clue.  The proprietors offer a reward of $10, on return of goods, and Sheriff Vaupell a reward of $25 for the arrest and conviction of the guilty parties.



“Macbeth, Beware Macduff!”


   “Hence, horrible shadow!

   Unreal mockery, hence!”—Macbeth. 

   Verily our city is undergoing a series of ghosts and ghostly apparitions compared to which Shakespearean tragedy and the Macbeths, Macduffs, etc., are not in it.

   Last night again the “ghost” so called, was seen in different parts of the city.

   Last evening while Henry VandenBerg, of Fulton street, was at a neighbor’s, the “ghost” appeared to his wife as she was going out the back door and she was so terribly frightened that some dish water she was carrying was dropped and she fell over in a faint and was semi-unconscious condition when her husband, who was immediately sent for, returned.  Well it is about time this nuisance was disposed of, that’s a fact.

   It is now pretty well understood that this “ghost” has been carrying on his nefarious work for some three months.  About this time ago, a young man well known in this city and particularly in the Third ward, who, for reasons of modesty never mentioned the fact before, says that he was out walking with his enamorata on Washington avenue when this particularly ghostly personage (who, it is pretty well understood is a very large man, whosever else he is) puts in its appearance and picking the young fellow up carried him over into the Second ward, some two blocks and there dropping him, disappeared.  The youthful swain returning found his girl awaiting him.  Lat Sunday evening this young man was out again with his girl (a different one, though, by the way) when they were again approached by the ghost, but by some exceedingly lively strategic movements escaped.


   Billy Emerson’s minstrel show passed through here yesterday on their way to Grand Rapids where they played last night.



   The engine at the electric plant is being put together today.


   Justice Pagelson is employed as German interpreter in circuit court today.


   The arc dynamo for the electric plant arrived yesterday and a car load of oil today.


   The boiler and balance of machinery in the Ferrysburg mill is being removed today and will be sent south for use in a saw mill.


   In the case of Bradley Taylor charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm on the person of Oscar Hunt at Nunica, May 29th, the jury last night brought in a verdict of guilty.


Ladies’ Literary Society.

Nov. 7, 1891, 2 p.m.

   About thirty of the ladies of Grand Haven met at the parlor of the Unitarian church for the purpose of organizing a society devoted to the study of history, science, literature, art and music.

   Mrs. T. A. Parish, opened the meeting by a few introductory remarks stating the object of calling the ladies together, and the society then proceeded to the business of the day.  Mrs. G. A. Farr was appointed chairman for the afternoon and Miss Frances Sheldon secretary.  A committee of three, Mrs. A. S. Kedzie, Mrs. W. C. Sheldon, and Miss Louise Stickney, was appointed for the purpose of choosing permanent officers subject to the approval of the ladies.  In the absence of the committee, and article headed “Pioneer Women” was read by Mrs. Geo. Angel, after which the report of the committee was given, and the following permanent officers permanently elected:—

            President—Mrs. E. P. Cummings.

            Recording Secretary—Mrs. J. N. Reynolds.

            Corresponding Secretary—Miss Louise Stickney.

            Treasure—Mrs. S. H. Boyce.

   It was decided that the society should hold its meetings Saturday afternoons from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. at the Unitarian church.

   It was moved, supported and carried that a committee of three be appointed by the chairman to draft a constitution and by-laws.  Accordingly, Miss Lora Smith, Mrs. Jno. Macfie and Mrs. A. S. Kedzie were appointed for the purpose.

   In order that the executive committee might know the pleasure of the ladies in regard to the work to be pursued, various suggestions were made.  It was considered advisable that, in view of the coming World’s Columbian exposition, the subject of Spanish History be given special attention.  As regards Literature, several were in favor of giving a special study to the works of George Elliott and the subject of English Literature in general.

   On motion of one of the ladies, a committee of three, Miss Lora Smith, Mrs. G. W. McBride, and Mrs. N. Robbins Jr., was appointed by the chairman for the purpose of preparing a program for the ensuing Saturday, before it was possible for the permanent committee to be in working order.

   The officers and committee appointed to draft the constitution were requested to remain after the meeting and the society adjourned for one week.


Secretary Pro Tem.


   We learn that a similar society in Grand Rapids numbers 400 members and is restricted to that number, while over 100 others are waiting for room in its charming circle.  Every lady in this city is to be congratulated upon gaining membership in this society and in entering upon the progress in study thus opened.




   Brick laying on the match factory has begun.


   Winter and its first snow storm has arrived.


   The exterior of the new Akeley Institute building is about completed.


   Wednesday next is the date set when the electric lights will be turned on.


   Boys in some parts of the city have done some damage throwing stones at the electric funnel shaped hangers.  Unless stopped, they will probably get into trouble.


  Total eclipse of the moon on Sunday, Nov. 15.  Eclipse commences at 4:34 p.m. and ends at 10:01 p.m.  The total phase continues from 6:35 to 7:59.


   J. C. Kooiman, aged three years three months and fifteen days, youngest son of John Kooiman of Fulton street, died at 8:45 last evening of scarlet fever.  Funeral tomorrow 2 o’clock p.m. at residence.




   That Grand Haven furniture is steadily creating a demand for itself is evident from fast increasing orders.


   The Challenge Corn Planters Co. will have their factories lighted by some 200 incandescent electric lights.


   The Furniture Company will have their factory electric lighted, and will then, we understand, run evenings until 9 o’clock.


   The Misses Daisy Scofield and Marie Collins gave a dancing party in the Gray block last night.  About 30 couples were present and the affair was a very enjoyable one.  Refreshments were served at 11 0’clock and dancing continued until 2 o’clock.


   George Kennedy captured a strange species of web footed bird on Washington St. this afternoon.


   The City of Racine left for Chicago this morning, it being her last trip for this season.  She would have left Thursday night on her farewell trip but Muskegon harbor was in its usual condition, and she was compelled to lay there until this morning.


   Why is not our police force strong enough, or wise enough, to capture this contemptible fool or idiot who is going about our streets in the guise or pretense of being a “ghost?”  Though this is one of the greatest humbugs of the age, and though in its self utterly unworthy the notice of descent people, yet there are weak minded and silly persons in the community or persons of highly excitable nervous temperaments who are really and seriously frightened and seriously injured by this ridiculous montebank who stands about in white, with no higher object than to create a sensation and a scare.

   If I met him he will be pretty sure to carry away from the interview a dose of cold lead from a Smith & Wesson.  This will show whether things called “ghosts” have flesh and blood or not.  If there is not some of the latter left on the side walk, it will not be my fault.

Juvenis Jr.


Dramatic Doings.

   A fair sized audience was present at Co. F’s Opera House last night, but every seat should have been filled.  The attraction, the versatile Miss Lottie Williams and her excellent company in “New York, Day by Day” was a magnificent performance, by big odds the best of the season thus far, and created the greatest enthusiasm and applause.  Miss Williams was the bright particular star and was well worthy of the applauses bestowed upon her.  As “Rags,” the messenger boy, a typical street gremlin, she was true to nature, and her singing, dancing and acting were artistic in every respect.  She was ably supported, and the comedy element kept the audience in roars of laughter.  The scenic effects are new and full of realism.  In short, “New York, Day by Day” is a drama far above the standard, and the acting is full of dramatic merit.


   There is something of which we a re called on to speak, something the management of Co. F’s Opera House should understand (if they do not already) is hurting the prestige of the house.  It is the outrageous conduct of the boys who sit in the gallery.  This terrible noise and disturbance, which was particularly bad last night, is utterly uncalled for, and many expressed themselves vigorously against it last night, some saying that unless this annoyance was stopped they would withdraw their patronage.  This trouble would seem to be easily remedied and Manager Hutty assured the EVENING TRIBUNE that it will be immediately attended to.




   A new time table went into effect on the C. & W. M. road yesterday.


   There was a total eclipse of the moon last evening but the cloudy sky obscured it from vision.


   The electric light switch board the incandescent lights has been placed in position and is a very neat affair.


   The Grand Haven Electric Light & Power Co. have commenced laying pipes to connect their plant with the city water mains.


   A great deal of unnecessary complaint is being made as to the officers not catching the so-called ghost!  Most of the stories of having seen the ghost have proved to have been only scares over merely nothing.  Certain parties reported the ghost around their premises and upon investigation by the marshal he found it to be a small cat walking around on the dry leaves.




   The C. & W. M. road is badly in need of rolling stock to transact its increasing business.


   The town clock stopped at 9:15 this morning in consequence of being run down.


   A number of ladies in this city are mourning for house plants that departed this life last evening.


   The high school pupils were dismissed at half past eleven this forenoon on account of the coldness in the room, caused by the steam heaters not working properly.


   Edward Potter of Ravenna while out hunting yesterday morning found a lot of counterfeiting moulds in a hollow stump.  The spot where found was near the former habitation of a tough gang.


   Editor VanScheiven and the Holland City News had a catnip fit last week occasioned by the excursion down Grand River from Grand Rapids to this city in the interests of the projected deepening of Grand river.  The time was, and only about three years ago, when Holland citizens could not do enough for similar delegations in the way of entertainments and carriage drives up and down between their village and Grand Rapids and all because of an awakening of a little interest in a canal scheme between the two cities, a project about one quarter as feasible the one in which Grand Rapids and Grand Haven are now interested.  Consistency, Mr. News man, is a jewel.


Dick Vos Dead.

   Dick Vos, son of John Vos, died at home of his parents on Fourth street at 9:30 this morning.  Deceased was 24 years of age, and had resided in this city all his life until eighteen months ago when he went to Northern Michigan where he remained about six months, when for reasons of ill health he went to Louisiana and remained about a year, returning home in this city about six weeks ago.  His death was caused by consumption.  While a resident of this city he was a member of the fire department.



   The Walker pump which was recently sent to the machine shops at Fenton for repairs is expected to arrive home today.


   The case of the people against Christopher Luther for illegal fishing which was to have been tried today has been discontinued.


   The Grand Haven Shipbuilding Co. launched a tug from their yards this afternoon.  The large wrecking and towing tug Duncan City, which has been in port for the past two weeks will take her to Duncan city.


   The display of wind signals by the Weather Bureau on Lake Michigan will be discontinued on December 10, except at Grand Haven, Milwaukee and Ludington.


The Public Library.

   In order to accommodate those who would like to use the library, but are not able to come to draw books during the present library hours in the afternoon, we have decided to open the public school library Saturday eve, Nov. 21, from 7 to 8 o’clock.

   The arrangement will be continued, if there is a significant number who take this opportunity to draw books.

   The library is on the second floor of the Central School building and contains about 2,500 volumes, all of which are free to the public under certain reasonable regulations.  Before the holidays about 250 volumes of new and standard books will be added.

   The halls of the building will be lighted so that there will be no difficulty in reaching the room.

E. L. BRIGGS, Supt.


   The steam barge Annie Laura which sheltered in here during the gale of a month ago, had a rough time of it in the Monday night wind.  She entered Chicago with her cargo washed overboard and nearly filled with water.

   The Chicago Press says this of the terrible gale of Monday night:  It was a terror on the lake at midnight; the wind was a howling gale from the northwest, registering forty miles an hour.  Every wave that struck left its trace in a coat of ice, and it was not long before the decks of steamers became a veritable skating rink.  The wind being off shore no sea was running here, but on the east side of the lake it was the heaviest of the year.  Over a score of boats were held here on the posting of the weather report at the barge office last night that a terrific northwest gale was at hand.  It was lucky that they remained in shelter for some of them would have certainly got in trouble today.  What few steamers sailed this morning are hugging the west shore to Milwaukee.  Owing to the cold the air is much cooler than the water, and a light fog hangs over the surface of the lake. The boats which came in this morning made beautiful pictures.  They were heavily coated with ice, and as the sun struck them they seemed like large masses of ice, from which spars and smokestacks protruded.



   A dispatch from Mrs. Dwight Cutler in California states that she is much improved in health.


   The Fox-Woodbury case which has been before Circuit Court for the past three days was brought to an end this morning, the jury declared $200 to the plaintiff.


   Mr. Bilz’s Irish setter dog disappeared Sunday morning, and Mr. Bilz wonders whether he mistook a deer track for a partridge track, and is still following it.


     Henry VerHoeks, of Grand Haven, was arraigned in Justice O’Hara’s court this morning on a charge of larceny, the complainant being H. C. Bannings.  It is stated that Baninga bought a cow from VerHoeks for $35, paid $25 cash and was to pay the other when satisfied the cow suited.  The cow did not suit and VerHoeks did not call for the other $10, hence this action.  The case was adjourned until the 30th, bail being fixed at $300.  D. F. Hunton, a Grand Haven attorney, was here to look after the defendants interests.—Muskegon News.


   It is announced that Secretary Tracy, in his forthcoming annual report, will advise the abrogation of the treat with Great Britain that restricts the naval forces of the United States on the great lakes to one warship of obsolete pattern..  Public opinion will strongly support the administration in securing the repeal of the treaty.  In its present form this international agreement is grossly unjust to the United States.  By means of the St. Lawrence and canals Great Britain could place a formidable fleet of gunboats on the lakes at any time.  All the great lake cities would be at their mercy, for the United States would be unable to protect them with a single modern warship.  War between England and the United States is improbable.  But it is most unwise for a great nation to leave an extensive portion of its richest frontier in an absolutely defenseless state.




   The schooner Ellen Stevenson, with a crew of three, Capt. Nicholson, Emet Brovring and Carl Tapo, bound homeward from St. Joe to Ludington, struck head on to the pier at 12 o’clock last night while trying to make this harbor and was dismasted and totally disabled.  The life saving crew were at once to the rescue and did as fine a piece of work as ever a life saving did.  Lines were thrown over her first, but they parted and the crew went to her.  The sea was a terrible one but they reached the wreckers in safety but came along side several times before the men could be gotten off, and once their boat struck with such force as to split her bow, and before the station was reached was half full of water.  The men were in the water an hour and a half and got severely chilled, but at the station were worked over, thoroughly warmed and cared for and warmly clad, and today are as well as ever.

   Capt. Stevenson has been in the life saving service and during his service and sailing career has seen many wrecks, but says he never before saw work equal in heroism to that done by the Grand Haven crew last night.

   The Stevenson is owned by Swanson & Nicholson of Ludington and is valued at $1000, not insured.  Just before leaving her the crew threw out the anchor and she is now anchored 50 feet from the north pier and about 100 feet from shore.  Unless the wind goes down she will probably go to pieces before night.


   The schooner Teale & Laura from St. Joseph to Ludington came in last night out of the gale.  She left St. Joseph with the schooner Tallahassee and the ill-fated Stevenson.  The where abouts of the Tallahassee is not known.  All were bound for Ludington.




   Since the ghost was seen in C. E. Conger’s wagon shed that gentleman does not appear in his usual haunts after dark.  Charley explains it by claiming he is “laying for that ghost.”


   The case of the people against Carl Schroeder, of Grand Haven township, for assault and battery, which was to have been held before Justice Pagelson today, was thrown out on account of the non-appearance of the prosecuting attorney.


Sad Death of Dan Garlick.

   The sad death of Dan Garlick at Benton Harbor is made still more deplorable by the publication of statements concerning the circumstances that are without foundation.  In this city Mr. Garlick has always borne a good reputation and the statement made by Benton Harbor papers that he was intoxicated and blew out the gas has been proven absolutely false.

   Dr. Walkley who was called to Benton Harbor to treat Mr. Garlick returned yesterday.  While there he carefully investigated the matter and says that there is not the slightest foundation for the rumor, and the night clerk testified at the inquest that Mr. Garlick was not drunk, and every appearance of a perfectly sober man.

   The unfounded statement made by the Daily Palladium cannot be to severely censured.  A plausible solution of the matter is that the gas was turned off, but that from defect in the burner or other reason the gas still escaped, and that the statement made was to shield the Eastly House from blame.

   During the night the guests were annoyed by groaning and heavy breathing from Mr. Garlick’s room and one of them went down and told the clerk, who dismissed the matter with the remark that it was probably some one with a “jag on” or words to that effect, which explains one reason of the report of intoxication being rumored.


   Fred Westerhoff, engineer at Lewis’s Planing Mill, was badly injured this forenoon.  The engine became unmanageable and was running at terrific speed when the pulley broke, one of the pieces striking him in the head.

   It was thought at the time that he was killed, but he regained consciousness after a short while, and is now improving nicely.


   The wrecked schooner Stevenson stood the beating of the surf all day yesterday without damage, other than she sustained when going on the beach.  She was pulled of today by the crew assisted by the members of the life saving crew.



   The connection pipe of the Walker pump was removed from the water works to the electric light plant this afternoon.


   Captain Brittain, the well known ship builder of Saugatuck, is considering building a fish freezer plant in that village after the pan followed by Capt. Kirby.


   The following appropriations have been recommended by Gen. Poe for the improvement of the harbors of Western Michigan:  Grand Haven, $125,000; Portage Lake, $125,000; Manistee, $100,000; South Haven, $50,000; Muskegon, $50,000; White River, $48,000; Charlevoix, $46,000; Frankfort, $32,000; St. Joseph, $30,000; Saugatuck, $10,000; Ludington, $10,000;  Holland, $4,500.


   Concerning his arrest by a Muskegon sheriff for larceny, on complaint of H. C. Baninga, Henry VerHoeks explains that he sold the cow for $35, guaranteeing her to give 17 quarts of milk and allowing Mr. Baninga to keep back $10 for one week as a guarantee that the cow was as represented.  On account of the illness of one of his children with scarlet fever, he failed to call before the week was up, and Mr. Baninga being dissatisfied with the cow caused his arrest.


Supernatural vs. Experience.

   There now comes us a story, which hath the lineament of truth, concerning the strange experiences of one our respected townsman, who loveth his morning nap, and a good patron of the EVENING TRIBUNE, by the way, that is of a certainty ‘too good to keep.”  It seemeth that our good friend of the Scottish heath do believe somewhat in the supernatural, a belief which is not obtained by the erudition gained by rising at unseemly hours to study the sciences that light up the dark by ways of superstition.  Awakened recently from a refreshing morning nap by a mysterious noise, he tumbled out of bed and proceeded to investigate, and armed with a wieldy cudgel issued from his fortress.  Let us not say that he expected to be met by a white robed vision, but as an apology for the frailty and foibles of the human mind in this regard, let us rather say that he expected to meet the burglar.  The first named experience, however, greeted him, and he was about to dispatch the white mantled visitor when a second look revealed the reproachful look of a faithful spouse employed in building the kitchen fire.  Then he sought again his chamber “a sadder and wiser man,”  but whether or not to finish his righteous sleep has not been revealed.


   A prominent marine man of Chicago said the other day:  “since eleven years the water of Lake Michigan has been gradually falling.  The first nine years it fell one foot, and in the last two years it has fallen two feet, making up to this winter a decrease of three feet in eleven years.”




   Joe Van Dyke, and old gentleman of this city, is very low with a disease of the head with which he has been afflicted several years.


   The school will be let out at three o’clock Wednesday afternoon for the Thanksgiving vacation.  The pupils have all been invited to bring one some thing suitable for a Thanksgiving gift to be distributed among the poor and needy of this city.


   The Walker pump arrived last Friday and was put on its foundation in the electric light building Saturday.  It is being connected with the city mains today.  The pump has been repaired at the shop in Fenton, some new parts added, making it altogether as good as new.


   J. Mouw, of this city, with a road cart, and Mr. Van Doorne, of Grand Haven township, with a heavier vehicle, ran into each other on Beechtree road Saturday night.  Mouw was thrown out and his horse ran away, and was found after an hour’s hunt in a field, the outfit considerably damaged.  Van Doorne came out a winner and without a scratch.




   Supt. Cosgrove has placed Wiley water works in the court house and jail.


   The stores of the city will close at noon Thanksgiving Day and remain closed the balance of the day.


   The electric lights did not light last night as announced by our evening contemporary.  They may be “turned on” tonight.


   The large Corliss engine in the electric plant was started last night and ran all evening.  It will be run today, so we can expect light tonight.




Local Sportsmen Going in For a Big Thanksgiving Contest.


   Thanksgiving will be a sorry day for the game in the vicinity of the Saratoga of the west, and every self respecting rabbit and woodpecker that knows his business and reads this paper will lay low.  Nearly everybody who can borrow a gun and get credit for ammunition is going hunting anyway, and the local sportsmen have a scheme well under way to divide the crowd into two parties and have a regular old fashioned Thanksgiving contest.  Woodpeckers and chippie birds will count, as well as rabbits and grisly bears.  There will be a meeting in Lehman’s barber shop, under the Cutler house, at 8 o’clock tonight, to start the arrangements, and probably another one tomorrow night to complete them.  The contest will be for a supper, and every one who loves fun is invited to be on hand tonight.


   A Grand Haven man was awakened early the other morning by a mysterious noise and decided that there were burglars in the house he grasped a bulky club and tiptoed his way softly downstairs.  In the uncertain glimmers of the coming day he saw a stooping form in the kitchen and had just raised his club to strike when he discovered that it was his faithful wife who was building the breakfast fire.—Democrat.




   Printers and newspaper workers like a holiday same as other mortals, so there will be no EVENING TRIBUNE tomorrow.


   The EVENING TRIBUNE Thanksgiving toast:  “Grand Haven, best lighted and least benighted of all the lake shore towns.”  We’ll “rise to remark” about it later.


   The Electric Light company is putting in two large arc lights in the opera house for the Company F dance and for the play, “The Burglar,” Friday night.


   At the Co. F ball tomorrow night the ball will be lighted with electricity for the occasion.  It promises to be one of the best balls ever given by Co. F.  Lieuts. Pelegrom and Ed Andre will officiate as floor managers, and Rosbach, Palmer, Hamilton and J. Fisher as reception committee.


Turned On.


   Miss Bessie Koeltz, daughter of ex-Ald. Jos. Koeltz, turned on the current at the Grand Haven Electric Light and Power Co.’s building last evening, and the city was lighted with electricity for the first time.   Though only lighted a short time a favorable impression was made, and considering that it was the first attempt and that the machinery was new it may well be counted a success.  The different factories signified their approbation by a long series of whistles, chimed in by the ringing of bells.


Death of Wm. VerDuin.


   Peter VanDuin received a dispatch this morning announcing the death of his uncle, Wm. VerDuin at his home in Gano, Ill.  His remains will be brought to this city for burial.

   Mr. VerDuin was an old resident of this city having resided here over 20 years previous to moving to Dakota some 10 years ago.  He moved from Dakota to the place where he resided at the time of his death, about a year and a half ago.  He has been a sufferer of cancer of the stomach, that disease at last culminating in his death.  He was 48 years of age.


   There’ll be money in the match factory, when folks get to scratching it out.


   If we can’t all have turkey, let’s be thankful for chicken, bacon or fried liver.


   One reason for thanksgiving, is that Grand Haven has taken her place among the other well-lighted lake shore towns of her own avoirdupoiso.




   T. W. Kirby with his usual open hearted liberality contributed large amounts to the poor and needy yesterday.


   Bert Mansfield’s show window attracts a great deal of attention by the neatness and ingenuity of the design.


   In consequence of a current breaking our new electric lights were not lit last evening.


   The Dake engine works have shipped over $4,000 worth of machinery thus far this week, and it is expected will foot up to $8,000 by the end of the week.


   Olof Hulverson drunk and disorderly arrested by Marshall Verhoef, was given 5 days by Justice Reynolds today.


   Thomas Higgins, for the theft of a pair of overshoes from the front of Juistema Bros. shoe store, was sentenced to 90 days in the Detroit House of Correction by Justice Pagelson Wednesday.


   The citizens rendered a very kindly aid to the public schools in the distribution of their gifts to the needy.  Most of the grocers’ delivery wagons were placed at their disposal.  Vyn Bros. came with two teams; J. Godhardt sent a man and a team and Mr. Gravengoed with his horse and wagon made several trips.  The gifts were sent to 43 families and included almost every variety of things to eat.


   Co. F Ball came off last night and while the attendance was not as large as it should have been, all those present, had a very gay time.  The music was the best the company ever had at their balls, and all were loath to leave when the time for closing came.  About 50 couples were present.

   The music by the Elite Orchestra (Grand Rapids) at the Co. F Ball last evening is highly commended.


   Mrs. Fred Mansfield has far recovered from the injuries received at Sturgis, that she is expected home Monday.


   City Marshall VerHoef of Grand Haven is likely to prove a dangerous rival to Ionia’s Old Sleuth sheriff.  A pair of rubbers were sneaked from the front of  a Grand Haven shoe store, and an hour later the marshal saw a man standing near the post office with a new pair of rubbers on his feet.  He promptly collared the chap, marched him to the shoe store and, sure enough, they were the stolen rubbers.―Grand Rapids Democrat.            


   Five schooners and two barges were in the port yesterday out of the gale.  The schooners Addie, Wonder, Nellie Hammond, Morse, Magdelene, Propellors Annie Laura and New York.




   C. N. Addison & Co., Boer & Bolt, and Lefebre & Meyer will put in electric lights next week.


   The hunting match that was to come off Thursday was postponed until some future date.


   The infant son of Elmer Bryce died today after and illness of five days of congestion of the brain, at their home aged 8 months and 9 days.


   There were parties in the city one day this week looking up the flour mill on Second street.  There is no question that this mill, if purchased and moved to a more desirable part of the city, would be a paying investment for some one.


A Good Showing of Church Work.

   It is about a year since the dedication of the Second Reformed church.  The church was built at an expense of $4,600 and today with the exception of $235 is free from debt, a grand showing for a church organization numbering less than fifty families.  Thanksgiving a present of $100 from the Ladies’ Aid society and a present of $100 from the Young Peoples’ society reduced the debt $200.  Also during the year $200 of interior decorations has been paid for by the Sunday school.  The Second Reformed church is certainly in a very flourishing condition.


A Glorious Time.

   Mrs. Geo. E. Angel, organist at St. John’s church, has made it a practice each year to entertain the vested choir in a very pleasant manner and this year she invited in a good number of the friends of Master Harry and Walter Mower, her sons.  The young folk were entertained in the large dwelling on LaFayette street formerly occupied by the Ferry family.  It was arranged that all who attend should mask and the young ladies and gentlemen carried out the plan to the full extent and appeared in the most comical rigs imaginable.  Dancing and amusements, closing with refreshments was the order of the evening.


Public School Library.

   The library will be open again Saturday eve from 7 to 8 o’clock.  Though the night was extremely dark and stormy several came for books last Saturday.

   It is hoped that more general knowledge of the fact that Library is opened at this time has spread through the city and that more will desire to use the opportunity this week. 

   The electric lights will make the approach to the school building much more pleasant.


   Spring Lake stands at the head of the list, in brave and expert hunters and fisherman among all the rival towns of the State, thus far among whom we class:  George Hammond, champion black bass fisherman; James Cross, champion black bear hunter; P. A. DeWitt, champion wild deer hunter.  Among others worthy of note, and who ranks high up, are Warren Gee. L. D. Heath, E. Bell, and a host of others too numerous to mention.




   The Cutler House is now lighted with electricity.


   Fritz Van Hall broke his arm Saturday night at the roller skating rink.


   One of the side show windows of Ruth Brower’s shoe store was broken by boys Saturday night.


   The electric light at Sixth and Washington streets has not been lit since the lights were turned on, and the residents in that vicinity are demur.


   The Propeller City of New York came over from Chicago Wednesday night, through the heavy storm and was obliged to run into Grand Haven harbor for shelter.  In running in there she was struck very heavily on the bar which has formed.  Although Grand Haven has done a great deal of bragging about her harbor, it appears that some patching up there would greatly overcome the dangers the boats have lately experienced there.  Grand Haven should remember that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.―Muskegon Chronicle.  Capt. F. D. McBride of the propeller City of New York, is a Muskegon man.  We must question the captain’s experience as a navigator, when the Roanoke, a boat of many more tons burden, came in the same time with the heaviest cargo of the season.  There is nothing quite equal to the experience, as a teacher, and the New York will hereafter will probably run up to Muskegon harbor in a storm.  Wonder if she will?


   The revenue cutter Andy Johnson went into winter quarters at Milwaukee Friday.