The Evening Tribune August, 1891



   The watermelon party at Prof. G. Bahre’s Thursday evening was highly enjoyed.


   The bible readings at the reading room have been well attended and have proved in every way very successful.


   The steamer City of Milwaukee left Milwaukee last evening with an unusually large list of passengers, most of them on their way to the G. A. R. encampment, the night being pleasant they were landed at Grand Haven at 3:30.


   Steamer City of Milwaukee makes a special trip on Sunday, reaching here at 2 p.m. giving the Milwaukee people an opportunity to take supper in Grand Haven and leave on return trip at 6 p.m.  Both Milwaukee steamers will make double runs until August 8th.


   Geo. Bennett lost a book of band music last night between his shop and Klaver Bro’s paint shop.  Finder please leave at his place.



   The river steamer W. H. Barrett went into dry-dock Saturday evening for repairs.


   The six months old child of Mr. Brown on 1st street died Sunday morning and was buried this morning.


   Three juvenile trombonists and a goat arrived on the D., G. H. & M. train this afternoon.


   Rev. J. N. Hayes and family, who have been visiting at Prof. Briggs, leave by the Chicago boat tonight, enroute to the Pacific coast, whence in a few weeks they embark for China and the scene of their missionary labors at the great city of Soo Chow.


   The shameful conduct of a large number of boys and girls, some of them almost grown, around the door of the Presbyterian church yesterday during the funeral services, was a disgrace to our city.  Such conduct is a common occurrence and it would be a good thing to secure the marshal’s presence on similar occasions in Grand Haven hereafter.




   Common council - met August 1, 1891, at 7:30 p. m., with President Boyce in the chair.  Present, Recorder, Aldermen Bryce, Boyce, Bos, DeGlopper, Nyland and Vaupell, Absent, the Mayor, Aldermen Kamhout and Thielman.  Quorum present.  President Boyce stated the objective of the meeting, whereupon Alderman Vaupell offered the following and moved its adoption:

   Another distinguished citizen has passed away.  Last Sunday morning the telegraph wire came laden with the sad tidings of the death of George E. Hubbard.  He died far from home, and wife, and children, and old friends still not friendless, for his qualities of head and hearts won friends everywhere.  His death comes to all of us with startling distinctness, and with our Council chambers still draped in mourning we have just returned in sorrow from another open grave.  “Truly death leaves a shining mark.”

   George E. Hubbard has lived in our midst for thirty-five years.  He was long prominent in business here.  None ever knew him to do a dishonest act.  His hand was open, his ear attentive to the call of suffering his heart was warm with sympathy for man, woman and child.  The world is better because such men have lived.  Three times he was elected to the highest place in our city government.  for several years he represented his ward in the Council.  He was a faithful, efficient officer.  He did his duty as he saw it, fearlessly and well. “Taken in all he was a man.”  It is by the Common Council of the city of Grand Haven

   Resolved, 1st.  That we mourn the death of our lamented friend and fellow citizen George E. Hubbard, and we tender to his afflicted family or sympathy in their great bereavement.

   2nd.  That as a token of respect the Council attend the funeral officially.

   3d.  That the Council chamber be draped in mourning for the space of thirty days.

   4th.  That a copy of this preamble and resolution be spread at large upon the public records and that a certified copy be forwarded by the Recorder to the widow of the deceased.

   Seconded by Alderman Bryce and adopted by a voice of all Aldermen present.

   On motion of Alderman DeGlopper the Council adjourned.




   The funeral of our friend and townsman Geo. E. Hubbard was held at two o’clock yesterday and was very largely attended.  Grand Haven Lodge 139 F. & A. M. of which Mr. Hubbard had long been a faithful active member, had charge of the funeral.  The Masons numbering about 100 left the Hall promptly at 1:30 p. m. for the residence and accompanied the remains to the Presbyterian church where the Rev. J. H. Sammis delivered a timely and able sermon, speaking of the service their dead friend and brother had been to city, church and Lodge.  After the service at the church the procession formed and led by the Grand Haven Band followed by Masons, Mayor and Common Council and a large number of friends in carriages passed down Franklin street and over the hill to the beautiful Lake Forest cemetery, where amidst flowers and evergreens they deposited their friend and brother in his last earthly resting place.  The beautiful Masonic services at the grave was conducted by W. M. Finch assisted by the Masonic brothers.



   The residence of Mr. L. Stickney of Grand Haven was entered by a burglar yesterday afternoon while he and his family was away.  A ladder was put up to the roof and the thief climbed through a top window in the room of Mr. Stickney’s son.  He stole a negotiable check and from $25 to $30 in money.  When Mr. Stickney returned home he saw a strange man about the place and suspecting something wrong he went into the house to find everything scattered about.

   Sheriff Vaupell happened to be over at Mr. Bottje’s at the time and he with Mr. Stickney pursued the burglar through the swamp and woods about a mile.  Mr. Vaupell fired three shots at him but he escaped down the railroad track.

   He was a tall heavy man with a red face wearing a Prince Albert coat.  A dispatch received from the Holland authorities this morning places him as a man wanted for murder in Buffalo.



   The pleasure yacht Brownee from Whitehall laid in this port Sunday evening going to Saugatuck Monday morning.


   Mrs. John Helder caused a little excitement last evening by having a feinting spell in front of the Episcopal church.


   Frank H. Gill and family and E. C. Durall and family have gone to Highland Park, near Grand Haven, to remain a couple of weeks.—Grand Rapids Democrat.


   Red fire and sending up of balloons added to the many bonfires on the beach made it very interesting to the Park sojourners last evening.



   Rumor has it that the general public are excluded from the verandas of the Park Hotel.  The management wishes to state that there is nothing in the report and that all are welcome except that class of kid element of Grand Haven which our people well know are not wanted about every public place.



   A gang of chimney sweeps employed by E. A. Crane, Grand Rapids, are about the city.


   The life saving crew will give an exhibition tomorrow morning at ten o’clock.


   The woods are on fire around the city cemetery and Highland Park, making it somewhat dangerous for the cottagers.


   The fire department was called out yesterday afternoon by a slight blaze in Mr. N. I. Beaudry’s residence.  No damage done.


   Remember the Lemon Social at the M. E. personage this evening given by the choir.  A pleasant time for all.


   An enjoyable dance was given at the Highland Park Hotel last evening, which was largely attended by the cottagers and also the people from town.



   Erza Adams, working in the Adams & Co.’s shingle mill in Robinson, fell on a circular saw yesterday afternoon cutting his hip and body in such a manner that the inwards protruded.  Dr. Newell of Spring Lake who is attending the case says, he cannot live many hours.




   We desire to take this opportunity to thank our friends for the many kindnesses shown us during our recent affliction.

   Such proof of friendship for the dead will be a pleasant memory for the living.




Match Factory.

   The necessary stock of $10,000 has been raised for the establishing of the match factory and it will be erected as soon as possible.  The H. W. Buswell property where the cutter factory was situated is understood to be the site.

   The stock holders are Chas. Dake, H. W. Buswell, S. H. Boyce, Jacob Baar, Fred Kimball, Dr. A. Rysdorp, Dr. Hofma, George D. Turner, Pfaff Bros, J. D. Duursema and Dr. J. N. Reynolds.


Arrest of a Burglar.

   The sheriff of Ottawa county wired the police department of this city yesterday, giving a description of a man wanted for burglary.  At 8:30 last evening Officer Moffat found the person at the Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee depot.  His shoulder was dislocated at the time of the arrest and had been since the burglary was committed, Sunday last.  Sergt. Webb called Assistant City Physician Willy to adjust the dislocation.  The prisoner was wanted for theft of a watch, chain and other property.  He was found to have in his possession a band ring, a watch chain and eleven cents in money.  He claims to have found this property near Chicago.  He gave the name of Jim Kinney.—Grand Rapids Democrat.



   “Jim” Kinny, the thief who stole of Mr. L. Stickney, will have his hearing Monday.


   Ezra Adams, of Robinson, who was so dangerously injured in the saw mill of that place, died last evening.  His body will be brought here for burial.


   Nine cases out of every ten of interfering, over-reaching or of heels contracting can be stopped by Michael Falvy the horse shoer.  Shop on Fulton St., between 4th and 5th Sts.


Pedagogues and Would be Pedagogues.

   The regular Ottawa county teacher’s examination takes place today and tomorrow at the High School building, beginning this morning at eight o’clock.

   Applicants for third grade certificates are examined in orthography, reading, penmanship, geography, grammar, arithmetic, U. S. history theory and art of teaching, civil government, physiology and hygiene.  An average of 80 per cent is required.

   In addition to third grade branches applications for second grade are examined in algebra and physics, and a further addition for first grade of geometry, botany, general history and school law.  An average of 85 per cent for second grade and 90 per cent for first grade will be required.

   The regular examining Board, Cora M. Goodman, chairman, Berlin, and Professors A. W. Taylor, Nunica, and J. W. Humphrey, Sec., Holland, are conducting the examinations.

   It has been impossible today to obtain a list of all the teachers and would be teachers present, but the attendance is larger than usual.  Representative Dykema’s new law necessitating the renewal of certificates only every three years strikes the teachers very favorably, at leas their comment so indicate.  


Work of Scoundrels.  

   The barn of George Aiken on Peach Plains was burned early this morning.  Tracks around the premises show conclusively that it was the work of incendiaries.  Mr. Aiken tracked them to the road and they appeared to come towards the city.

   Twelve hogs and about a hundred chickens were burned, together with farming machinery, hay and grain.  The only things saved were two wagons and the horses.

   Insurance on the barn is about $100, which is but small compared to the loss.

   The villains evidently intended to burn everything as it was started near the manger.  If caught they should be given the full penalty of the law.



   Capt. Tremper’s residence and fences are receiving some new paint.


   It is understood that work on the new electric plant will commence next Monday.


   The street commissioner is having more trouble today with fire near the cemetery.


   The ladies of the St. Paul Evangelical church held a picnic in Beechtree Grove yesterday afternoon and evening, and had an enjoyable time.


   It is rumored that one of our prominent young business men is to merry one of our charming young ladies next week.  Wonder if it so.


   One hundred and four teachers attended the examinations here yesterday and today and with few exceptions will receive certificates.  The examination board will finish its work here tomorrow.


   The steamer Barrett of the Grand Rapids and Grand Haven docket line, is upon the boxes of the Mechanics Dry Dock Company in Grand Haven.  Though built seventeen years ago, her hull is in excellent condition.  She will resume her place upon the route first of next week.—Grand Rapids Democrat.


   A lawn party was given at the residence of Jacob Baar on Washington avenue last evening.  Upward of a hundred people were present and a great time was had singing, playing games, etc.  Refreshments served, the proceeds derived going to the benefit of the Second Reformed church.  The grounds were tastefully decorated with chinese lanterns making a fine display.



   A salvation army band arrived from the east this afternoon.


   Born yesterday morning to H. Vanderveer and wife of Columbus St., a girl.


   Senator F. B. Stockbridge will arrive in this city sometime next week on the Revenue Steamer Fessenden on a tour of inspection of the harbors.


   The several bus loads of the Challenge Corn Planter Co.’s picnicers on their way to Highland Park this afternoon made a rather fine demonstration.


   The sheriff has in his possession a plated chain and gold ring taken from Jim Kinney.  Anyone knowing about them should send information to the sheriff.


   The workingmen of the challenge Corn Planter works will be giving their annual entertainment this afternoon and evening at Highland Park beginning at 2 o’clock.  There will be running, swimming, and boat races in the afternoon, a basket supper, and in the evening fire works and other amusements.  Band music in attendance.


   Geo. Aiken’s serious loss in the burning of his barn has been in a great deal lessened by the generosity of Mayor Cutler, who has given him enough lumber to build a new one, and also given him a new set of harness for his horse.  The lumber will be drawn by Mr. Cutler’s teams also without charge.


   Mr. B. D. Butler, the talented illustrator of the Grand Rapids Daily Democrat has been enjoying his annual vacation trip accompanied by his wife.  They came over on the steamer from Milwaukee this morning, took breakfast at “The Norris” and today will yacht it with Mr. Saners from Spring Lake to Ottawa Beach.  Mr. Butler called on the Evening Tribune to get a few pointers on all around newspaper work on a metropolitan daily.


Before the Justices.

   Chas, Borck was before Judge Pagelson this morning for stealing and destroying cabbages belonging to Geo. Hancock.  He was fined $20 or twenty days in jail.


Notes About Town.

   I want to tell you of a disappointment I experienced sometime since.  I read in the TRIBUNE frequent notices of what good the ladies of our city are doing and going to do, to beautify and decorate “the Park”.  I rejoiced in this because whatever tends to make the city attractive makes a residence here desirable, and thus promotes its growth and prosperity.


   Naturally, as I walk about town, I look to see the improvements.  But day after day and week after week, I looked in vain.  I was disappointed.  I did not see the improvements.  I said to myself what does it mean?  “The Park” that was to be improved and decorated was not the Central Park, but Highland Park.  And I find the ladies have done good work there, and I am glad to see it.


   But my disappointment comes from seeing our Central Park in so unsightly a condition.  First impressions are the deepest and most lasting.  And when strangers come to town, one of the first things they see is the unkempt condition of this Park.  It looks like we have set it apart and specially devoted it to the cultivation of weeds.  It really is a disgrace to the city.  If our Honorable Common Council could do no more they might employ a man with a scythe to mow the weeds.

                                                                                                                                                                               JUVENIS JR.


Spring Lake.

   The Cutler & Savidge Lumber Co. will remove one of its mills located here to Sawyerville.  Since 1879 this firm had converted 500,000,000 feet of pine into lumber, lath and shingles at this place.  The highest season’s cut was in 1884, being 68,198,076 feet.  Last season their cut was a little over 4,000,000.  Next season, if the winter is favorable for lumbering in the section, they expect to cut logs for nearly a season’s cut, which will probably finish their lumbering operations in Spring Lake.


   Mr. Irish, superintendent and landlord of the Spring Lake Hotel, is a great success.  Under the care and charge of himself and family the Spring Lake House is becoming the most popular resort hotel in the state.  This is as it should be.  We understand that they not only aim to make a success of the house, but to run it so that it will be a credit to the hotel fraternity, and a place where the best society will delight to come and bring their friends and families.



   Wm. Vandenberg has the contract for painting the Opera House roof.


   The fish tugs Emma Bloecker, Chas. auger, Francis Edward an J. W. Callister cleaned boilers at the water-works today.


   The Grand Rapids Democrat states today that the walls of the electric plant “are beginning to assume some interesting proportions above ground.”  Anybody noticed ‘em.


   The sidewalks in front of some of the best residences in this city are in a dangerous condition.  A young lady received a severe fall this morning on one of them.


   Daniel Garlick, has sold his farm in Robinson to Chas. Range, the real estate dealer.  Mr. Garlick will remove his family to this city and become a resident here.


   A town or city does not build itself any more than a natural gas well bores its own hole.  It is done by human efforts and the people of the town can make it grow rapidly or slow just as they choose.—Exchange.


   The case of the People vs. Jim Kinney for burglary was before Justice Pagelson this morning.  Part of the witnesses were examined and the case was adjourned until next Monday.


   Grand Haven is to have a new match factory.  Though matches were made in Grand Haven.—Grand Rapids Telegram Herald.


   Well, Grand Haven is “in it” or comes as near to it these hot days as any place on Earth.  What’s Grand Rapids grumbling about?  Too hot down there?


The Exposition.

   For the Detroit Fair and Exposition the C.  & W. M. and D., L. & N. Railways will sell excursion tickets August 25th to September 4th, good to return until Sept. 5th inclusive, at one lowest fare for round trip, with 50 cents added for admission to the Exposition.  these lines are the “favorite,” to Detroit.


C. C. P. Co.


Pres. Sheldon Gives the Workingmen

of the Challenge Corn Planting Co.

a Picnic at Highland Park.


   Three o’clock Friday p. m. President Sheldon of the C. C. P. Co., while sitting in his private office chair, suddenly pressed six electric buttons and in as many seconds there stood before him many foremen.  Gentlemen, said he, I have been thinking of giving the boys their annual dance as now is the only time this year that the ware-house will be empty enough to have a dance.  What say you?  All thought the idea good, if it were not so hot.  Well, said he I will tell you, we will have a picnic at Highland Park.  What do you say to that?  Well, if you had been in the office with the reporter and seen the hustling, telegraphing, and how they set their heads together and brought everything about as only C. C. P. Co. men can, from the hoary old skating rink heads down to the Planter masher you would have gone home and said to your people well I never; it beats all what live people do now a days right here in our town.  The first institution that ever did anything for its employees in the shape of picnics, dances, and everything to make life worth living.

   At 2:30 o’clock the procession of busses headed by the C. C. P. Co., band formed at the City Hall and proceeded en route to Highland Park.  As it wheeled along Lake avenue it lengthened and grew and grew until it was one long mass.  An aeronaut who had descended in his parachute remarked “when I was a mile above, it appeared as a long serpent slipping toward and into Lake Michigan.”  It must be things look peculiar up there.  But it was not a serpent, it was simply a procession of the good employees of the C. C. P. Co.

   Amid the booming of the Old Dod and the lively music of the band the people shouting entered Highland Park.  Then did men, women and children rush down to the Beach, don a Walker suit and immediately plunge into the refreshing water of Old Lake Michigan.  Others took an inside lemonade bath under a canvass canopy which covered a barrel of Ice-Cool Lemonade stirred up by manager Lockie who remarked that after the barrel had been emptied the second time that he filled glasses from the six inches of sugar collected in the bottom.  Mr. Lockie insisted on having the same old flags which had been through the war ornamentally arranged outside the canvas. 

   The races headed the program of contesting sports:

   With Michigan’s amateur champion sprinter, Morris Kirby, for starting judge, and Dwight Sheldon, the all-around athlete, the time-keeper and judge, the first race, 100 yard dash, was run with seven starters and won by veteran ball player, Sigh Harvey.  Time:  13 seconds.

   Second race, Old Man’s Race, 100 yard dash, won by C. Yonker.  Time:  15 seconds.

   Third race, 70 yard race, backward, won by J. Ensing in 16 seconds.

   Fourth, Sack race, 70 yds, won by C. VerWy in 30 seconds.

   Fifth, Hurdle race, 70 yards, won by S. Harvey, by his world renowned antelope leaps.

   Sixth, Potato race, won by Sigh Harvey.

   Seventh, Wheelbarrow race, won by Will Keift, taking two out of three heats; distance 100 yards.

   The book-keeper of  Challenge Corn Planter Co., have a “body of speed” in Ferdinand Harbeck, and had he not fallen to the ground by a trip when ahead in the running race they would have come off the track with the feeling of satisfaction; but, as it is they have no prize money to patch up Ferdinand’s trouser, nor any to pay the surgeon’s bill and will have to go “deep down” all on account of this good hearted though quite bad man, who ran in the race simply to keep up enthusiasm (an act he is so often guilty of.)

   At this juncture old benevolence's shining dome bobbed up serenely among us and said, Dwight you speak to the audience in regard to aquatic sports.  Owing to Dwight’s bashfulness, Morrie was obliged to address them, but hardly three words passed his lips when in one voice Dwight and Morrie were directing the people to the beach where tub races, boat races and swimming races did not take place owing to the fact that that our red Hanlon (J. VerHoeks) and Beech (J. C. Surprise) failed to come to terms, Beech not being accustomed to rough water in Australia, and as every one was of the same mind of course as the champion, all races over water were declared off.

   At 6:30 p. m. twelve covers were placed at the hotel for band boys, and though some of the boys were unmarried, Barnum said he would do the kind of act of representing the other two.  By his appearance no one discovered that he literally devoured the contents of the three plates, except the band boys, as Barnum told them he had watched old Jumbo and got on to how to do it.

   A giant pile of firewood consisting of a wagon load of board wood thrown a cross pile of huge logs excavated from the sand chained, hauled by Planter teams.  A barrel of oil planted on top of this pile, at the pull of the plug let out of its bung hole a gurgling run of oil that saturated most every particle of wood.  The strategic Mr. Bryce, sr., whose assistance is always essential to the success of everything, and who has no use for alcoholic liqueurs, did take the only bottle of alcohol which was being saved for balloon sponges and pour all of it on the fire wood in his eager desire to have a quick fire for the people, his only desire in so doing.  The fire was the opening signal of the fire works display for the evening.  the music of the Planter band began to draw the people again towards the Park Hotel and soon the seats of the auditorium were again filled as they were in the afternoon at the races.  Pres. Sheldon who is the sole originator and promoter of these annual entertainments for the working men of the Challenge Corn Planters Co., stood grouped with the officers of the company, facing the auditorium, and exchanged expressions of appreciation with them.  Mr. Sheldon says in all my travels and I have seen a great deal of men at work in a good many factories, I don’t know where there is a better class of working men as a rule than we are.

   During the evening there was cause to be alarmed.  Where is our Superintendent?  Had he been drowned?  Had he been pierced by a rocket or a cannon ball?  No, indeed, the reporter on inquiry found Levi quietly entertaining lookers on as only he with his inventive originality can.

   The reflection of the candles, rockets, greek lights, and bonfire against the hotel and the mass of people who occupied the piazza, balconies, porticoes and auditorium presented to all a picture of never to be forgotten.  It was remarked by some that is was such a celebration that we had to back up that statement.  It was in fact the best Grand Haven ever had.  She fairly outdid herself.



   An infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Don of Franklin street, died last night.


   A density of smoke from the forest fires settled about the city last evening and became rather annoying.


   The old delivery horse of Wm. Van Der Meiden the grocery man died Saturday.


   Frank Helmer is making improvements on Mr. Ed. Nederveldt’s house on Jackson St.


   The walls of the new Akeley Institute building are beginning to assume very interesting and suggestive proportions.


   The Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee is making arrangements to run Sunday specials to Spring Lake and Highland Park.—Grand Rapids Democrat.


   Lost—On Monday evening, a lady’s black leather purse containing about ($15) dollars, and a calling card with owner’s name.  A suitable reward will be paid for its return to


Cor. of Franklin and 3rd sts. Grand Haven.


   One of H. Sprick’s busses broke a spring this afternoon creating some excitement.


   E. B. Bell, with the Grand Rapids Democrat, was in the city yesterday, and gave the EVENING TRIBUNE a call.


   I. T. Greenacre, attorney and counselor, Chicago, is here in the interests of the Greenwich, (N. Y.) Electric Light and Construction Co., looking up the ordinance, city charter and state laws, to see what privileges belong to the state and to the company in operating an electric light plant here.  He will also look after the right of way for a railroad to Highland Park and the chance of crossing the river to Spring Lake, etc.


   Spring Lake is going ahead of Grand Haven as a summer resort.  Wonder why.



   Some of our lawn tennis girls get up at 4 o’clock in the morning to play the game, and thereby show good common sense by getting some good fresh ozone in their lungs.


   O. Schubert and family are moving into their new home on Second St., recently purchased of Mrs. Poel.


A Quiet Wedding.

   On Tuesday evening at 9 o’clock at the home of the brides’ mother, Mrs. T. J. Scott of Elliot street, occurred the wedding of Miss Ella B. Finley and Charles H. Lilley.  Rev. J. H. Sammis officiated.  Only relatives and a few intimate friends were in attendance.  Mr. and Mrs. Lilley took the Milwaukee boat immediately after the ceremony was over and will return Thursday and will at once go to housekeeping on Franklin street.  At home after the 17th.  Relatives and friends of the happy couple from Grand Rapids, Mich., St. Louis, Mo., and Detroit, Mich. were present.  A beautiful and costly selection of presents were presented them by their many friends in and out of the city.  Miss Mabel Beaudry acted as bridesmaid and Mr. Geo. Lilley, brother of the bridegroom, as best man.  We can add nothing to the laurels of the contracting parties, they being well known in this vicinity ; suffice to say that Miss Finley is one of the most charming and respected young ladies of our city, and Mr. Lilley our popular and accommodating agent of the American National Express Companies.

   May prosperity and plenty reign wit them until their life’s journey is brought to a close.


Once a Shingle King.


   The Grand Haven of to day has little to do with the Grand Haven of the past, looking from a thoroughly practical standpoint. Still there are people and events from history of those times that, for many reasons, will always be of more than passing interest.

   Under the caption of the lead of this article, a recent number of the Northwestern Lumberman contains an excellent cut and biographical sketch of Chas. Boyden, from which we gather the following information, lack of space not permitting the reproduction of the article entire: Mr. Boyden settled in Grand Haven in 1868 and at that time knew nothing about the lumber or shingle business. He caught the pine fever and bought the Ridell saw mill a small concern that had never been successfully operated and converted it into a shingle mill and ran it until the few thousand dollars he carried to the city disappeared. This unfavorable turn of affairs did not dishearten him. He started in to make the shingle business "go" and thought he had only paid a little dearly for his experience. Early in 1871 he had became connected with H. C. Akeley, now at the head of the H. C. Akeley Lumber Co., of Minneapolis, and under the firm name of Boyden & Akeley the mill was run until the latter part of the year, when it burned. Rebuilding immediately, followed and the mill which arose from the ashes of the old Ridell mill was frequently changed and enlarged until the time it was burned in June 1882, it was the largest shingle mill in the world, with the capacity of 1,000,000 shingles and 50,000 feet of lumber daily. In 1881 the output of shingles was 160,000,000 and the season the mill burned it was expected that 200,000,000 shingles would be manufactured.

   Mr. Boyden gave his exclusive attention to the mill and manufacturing, and during the dull period which followed the crash of 1873, worked hard and constantly to make a shingle which could be produced cheap and sell well. The result was that the "Boyden & Akeley" became probably the best known and most popular shingle ever made.

   In 1881 the Grand Haven Lumber Company was organized with Mr. Boyden president. In 1883 he purchased the interests of most of the stockholders, and from that date until the business was wound up in 1890, he had sole management of the extensive operations. The company owned three saw mills, one large shingle mill, extensive tracts of pine land, logging railroad, lumber yards, etc.

   At present Mr. Boyden is president and treasurer of the Boyden & Wyman Lumber Company, at Neelyville, MO., on the Iron Mountain road. he is also interested extensively in the Keystone Land and Cattle Company, in Dakota. The lumber company at Neelyville has a capital stock of $250,000 and owns over 20,000 acres of hardwood timber land, estimated to cut 250,000,000. The plant consists of two Stearns, band mills, a factory for cutting wagon and agricultural implements, dimension stuff, plaining mills, machine shops, etc. Logging is done is done with a steam skidder and a 35 pound rail steam logging road.

   The 1st Reformed church Sunday school is picnicing at Highland Park today.


   The fishing tug “Frank Geiken” was launched at Charlevoix Monday and came to Ferrysburg this morning to receive her boiler from Johnson Bros..  Her engine14x16, high pressure, was made by H. Bloecker & Co.


   The fire department was called at noon to the old Buswell mill site, where fire is making considerable smoke out of the sawdust and edgings, but excepting to impede travel slightly, little or no damage will be done unless the wind should suddenly change.



   A patent medicine man vended his goods on Vanderveen’s corner last evening.


   Fifty orders for suits have been received by the Grand Haven Furniture Company, this week.


   For Sale—The residence located on the east side of 5th street between Franklin and Clinton streets belonging to Mrs. R. W. Hubbard’s estate.  For particulars call at his office.


   The grape crop of Western Michigan promises very large and a fine quality.  Walter Phillips of this city estimates his crop at 40,000 pounds.  Mr. Phillips leaves for Duluth, Minn., soon to market his crop, and prominent fruit growers on the lake shore have made arrangements with him to handle their stock also.  He will be in Duluth until sometime in November, and anyone wishing to communicate with him should address him there.



    Messrs. W. L., R. A. and E. Andres were in Chicago yesterday purchasing gas and bar fixtures for the new Cutler House.


   Oliver Dykema was arrested on Washington street yesterday afternoon by the sheriff of Muskegon county, and was taken last evening to Muskegon.  He is wanted there for non-support of his wife.


   The ball game between Grand Haven and Spring Lake yesterday afternoon resulted in favor of Spring Lake by a score of 16 to 11.  The Grand Haven boys attribute their defeat to four members of the St. Louis Browns who played with the Spring Lake nine.


   The Misses Lizzie and Matie McMillap gave a pedro party at their home on Howard street last evening.  About thirty persons were present.  The booby prizes were taken by Mr. Ed. Gillen and Miss Ada Cairns.  Miss Ida Utter and Mr. J. Gleason were the winners of the first prize.  Refreshments were served after the cards and a general good time had.


Entertainment at the Park.

   Those present at the Highland Park Hotel last evening listened toa very pleasing program.  The entertainment was gotten up on very short notice, but each number was well rendered and encored.  The program was announced as follows:

Duet—Anitra’s Dance,               -              Grieg

Miss Rolston and Miss Glover.

Vocal Solo—Ballad                        -        Goodwin

Mrs. L. J. Koster.

Recitation              -                The Station Master’s Story

Miss Kittie Rice.

Vocal Solo—Thou Wondrous Youth,  - abt.

Piano Solo, Swedish Wedding Procession, Grieg

Miss Marlon Rolston,

Vocal Solo—Persian Love Song,  -    De Koven

Miss Henry Miner.

Recitation,                   -                   The Maniac

Miss Kittie Rice.

Vocal Solo—An Old Garden,       -      Temple

Mrs. L. J. Koster.

Duet—Rondo,             -                   Shubert

Mrs. John R. Rolston and Miss Glover.

   Miss Miner, of Chicago, possesses a contralto voice of great depth and purity and her willingness to sing adds much to the pleasure of listening.  She was accompanied by by Miss Boyden.  Miss Rice recites well for one so young, and her rendering of the Maniac showed dramatic ability.  Mrs. Koster is too well known in Grand Haven to need any comment.  Her selections last night were particularly pleasing, especially the Ballad by Goodwin.  The audience were delighted with Miss Ralston’s playing.  She has a bright career before her, if the present can foretell the future and St. Louis may well be proud of this pianist, who has already made a name in the musical world.  The duets which opened and closed the program were very pleasing.  Credit is due to Miss Glover, who managed the program, and thanks re due to those who kindly gave their services for the benefit of the Park and Hotel fund.


Will Lay the Corner Stone.

   The laying of the corner stone of the new Akeley Institute building will occur next Tuesday.  The program of ceremonies is as follows : 

   Ascription, “Glory to God on High.”  Psalm 157, read responsively.  Lesson, Proverbs VIII.  Apostles Creed.  Prayer.  Laying of the stone.  Hymn, “In the name which earth and heaven.”  Addresses :  Bishop , brief address ; Rev. J. W. Bancroft, E. F. Sweet, Grand Rapids ; a speaker from Grand Haven ; Hymn 276 ; Blessing.


They Are In It.

   Since the return of C. N. Addison, of Addison Co., from a two weeks vacation, John Cook, of this same firm has started on his also well earned vacation jaunt, and will vacillate for a couple of weeks in a sort of semi-circle between Holland, Grand Rapids and Muskegon, making these the principal seats of operation wherein to recruit his wasted energies.  By the way you have no doubt noticed how these two gentlemen and their clerks have “get right up and hustle” to keep ahead of the business of the grocery firm represented in them.  Their sales during the past six months have increased $2,000 worth over the corresponding period one year ago.  C. N. Addison & Co. are liberal advertisers and must consequently deal generously with their customers.  These are times when the advertiser, to advertise successfully (and any other kind of advertising injures instead of improves a business) must offer some special inducement to a public, and his advertising money must return to him through increased sales, large profits, small profits, large sales.  It’s an old saw, but a true one, that you can’t make money without spending some.  The most successful business men invariably attribute their success to advertising of one kind or another.



   Burglars entered Ald. Thielman’s place of business last night by breaking the lock of, one of the doors, but they were frightened away and did not secure anything.


   The Dake Engine Co., shipped a an engine express Thursday night to New Orleans, La.  The engine weighed 1,065 pounds and the charges were $55.  An extraordinary package to ship by express.


   Marvin H. Creager, of Jamestown, Kansas, is in our city today.  Mr. Creager was an old resident of this city , but has been residing in Kansas for the past eight years.  He held the office of county treasurer for three terms beginning 1872.  His two brothers Myron of Grand Rapids and Marion of Northern Michigan are also in the city.


   Henry A. Wolf, one of Muskegon’s hustlers, came over from that city this morning, placed a $500 piano at in the home of Miss Nellie DeGlopper, called on a number of friends, including a half hour’s visit with this office, left for home on the 10:30 train, and didn’t seem to hurry much either.


   Thomas Scanlan of the fish tug Frank Edwards, was severely scalded this morning, by falling into a tank containing lye and water which was being used to wash the decks.  Dr. Hofma was immediately sent for, and the man relieved as far as possible.  He is reported to suffer great pain, though it is thought he will survive.


   H. Bloecker & Co., give some 30 employees in their factory their annual picnic to day, which takes place at Bennett’s grove beginning at 9 o’clock.  Those annual picnics with now and then an exception have been the custom with this company for several years.  The first one of the kind, given by the old organization, the Ottawa Iron Works, then located at Ferrysburg, was way back in 1873, the employees that year excursing to Fruitport.



Electric Light to be Turned On Before Oct. 1st.

Location of Lights Fixed by the Council

and Work Now Well Under Way. 

   We are informed by the gentlemen who are to build the Electric Light and Power Plant in the city that they are now in position to push the work with rapidity and if nothing unforeseen shall happen they will be able to light the streets of our city before Oct. 1st.  The gentlemen speaking said in explanation of delay:  “When we arrived last week with our attorney we found that owing to recent laws passed by your legislature, it had become necessary to re-enact the ordinance, putting in such form as to comply with the letters of the new law.  We found the city officials very courteous and indulgent and after the matter was explained to him, Mayor Cutler immediately called a special meeting of the Council for last evening.”  At this meeting the ordinance was unanimously passed and location of lights fixed.”

   “When in Boston more than three weeks ago, our Mr. Rich purchased a fine Corliss engine of 180 horse power, boilers, dynamos and other such machinery as is necessary for a first class plant.  All this machinery will now come forward at once and we shall be ready to place it in position as soon as it arrives.  You can assure your readers that there is no finer plant in Michigan than Grand Haven will have.

   In regard to the electric railroad, our informant said :  “Its success depends much upon the interest shown by the citizens in th light, and the amount of patronage we have for power.  There is no doubt the road would pay for itself during three or four months of the summer, but we could hardly afford to keep our engine running during the remaining eight or nine months for the sole purpose of running street cars.  If, however, we can contract to furnish sufficient power to warrant us in keeping the machinery running during the day we shall certainly build and equip a first class electric street railroad in your city.”



   The citizens of Grand Haven will endorse the mayor and common council in their action in regard to electricity.


   The case of the people against Jas. Kinney for burglary was held before Justice Pagelson this morning.  Kinney was convicted and given three months in the State House of Corrections at Ionia.


   The City council think it advisable to submit the question of electric lights to the property holding tax payers at their meeting tomorrow evening and will probably call a special election for that purpose, as provided for in Section 11 of the City Charter.


   Mr. John Nesser has resigned his position as purser of the City of Racine, making his last trip Saturday night.  He will occupy a place in the Adam’s express office in Chicago.  His many friends in the city will be sorry to miss John, and all wish him well in his new position.  Mr. W. G. Sherlock will hereafter occupy the office of purser on the Racine.


   A bottle has been found on the lakeshore just south of Benton Harbor, containing a rumpled paper signed by Frank Maynard and Wilbur Grover saying:  “We are passengers on the Thomas Hums.  The schooner’s hold is rapidly filling with water and we have no hope of escape.  We are on the St. Joseph course.  We have friends in McCook, Neb., and Elkhart, Ind.  Please notify them of our fate.”  No date.


Akeley Institute.

   Bishop Gillespie will lay with appropriate ceremonies the corner stone ...


Machine Shop Picnic.

   Some time ago Mr. Bloecker told the employees of his foundry and machine shop that they might have the 15th for a picnic day, and he would furnish the liquid refreshments.  So as this was just what the men been waiting for all summer, they all agreed to come except Billy Campbell.  Mr. Glazat’s horse and buckboard begun early Sunday morning to make trips between town and Bennet’s grove, where the picnic was to be held, laden with materials for eating, drinking, shooting and base ball playing.  By eleven o’clock all the men were there with their wives, children, sisters, and their cousins and their aunts.

   Glass ball shooting was first on the morning’s program.  Max Glazat got first prize, Thieleman second, Walls and Stokes, third.

   After dinner a game of base ball was played between the machinists, with Bahre and Oakes, battery ; and the moulders, with Ike and Harry Sanford, battery ; score:  6 to 5, in favor of the machinists.  Master Louis Safford umpired the game, assisted by the crowd.  The feature of the game was Hugo Bloecker’s home run in the fourth inning.  He drove the ball on top of the five mile hill, and before it could be recovered, he had reached home plate amid deafening applause.  In the target shoot J. DeVries made the only bull’s eye in over sixty shots taking first prize.  apiece of bullet glancing from the target entered Henry Fritz’s right arm, slightly wounding him.  Dr. Reynolds removed the splinter, and he soon recovered.

   J. Brandstetter and Ed Stokes won the evening glass ball shoot, each getting nine straight in one round, and ten in the other.

   Just before supper time C. VanderVere brought over a lot of smoked herring which were delicious and were well taken care of.

   Henry Sanford presided at the prescription counter, and dispensed ginger ale, root beer, lemonade and Milwaukee tea to the thirsty in a most scientific manner.

   The picnic broke up about a half past seven and every one was well satisfied with the day and its sports, and went home with a conviction that the machine shop can have, with Mr. Bloecker to manage, just as enjoyable and jolly picnic as any institution in town.



   Three tramps were arrested here last night on suspicion of being three convicts who escaped from Jackson prison.


   Mr. J. Duursema is putting brick foundation under his residence on Clinton St.  The third ward boometh.


   Willie Bilz has been appointed agent of the Evening News at Spring Lake. Willie is a bright boy and will fill the position satisfactorily to all parties.





   At 1:45 this afternoon began the auspicious laying of the corner stone of the new Akeley Institute annex.  A large number from the city were present and among those from abroad were Rev. Dr. Rippey, P. W. Mosher, Muskegon; A. E. Wells, St. Paul’s church, Grand Rapids ; E. F. Sweet, Grand Rapids and J. W. Bancroft, Hastings.

   The following is the program of the ceremonies as carried out :

   Ascription, Glory to God on High.”  Psalm 127, read responsively. Lessons, Proverbs VIII.  Apostles Creed.  Prayer.  Laying of stone by Van Dongen & Yonker assisted by Bishop Gillespie.  Hymn, “In the name which earth and heaven.”  Addresses by the Bishop and Rev. J. W. Bancroft.  Appropriate remarks by Edwin F. Sweet and Dr. Wilkinson, followed by the singing of Hymn 276.  Blessing by the Bishop.

   The list of articles placed in a box in the corner stone comprised, Catalogue of Akeley College, History of Akeley College to date, Diocesan Journal, several church papers, Grand Haven TRIBUNE, Express, Herald and Courier Journal, a prayer book, bible and the Grand Rapids Democrat.

   The officers of the Institute are as follows:  Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, Rt. Rev. George D. Gillespie, S. T. D., Rev. J. W. Bancroft, Hon. Dwight Cutler, Treasurer, George Stickney, Cashier of Grand Haven National Bank; Chaplain, Rev. James E. Wilkinson, Ph. D; Principal Mrs. James E. Wilkinson; Trustees, Hon. H. C. Akeley, Minneapolis, Minn.; Rev. J. W. Bancroft, Hastings, Mich.; Mr. G. F. Bock, Battle Creek, Mich.; Mr. W. N. Brown, Mt. Pleasant, Mich.; Hon. Dwight Cutler, Grand Haven, Mich.; Rt. Rev. G. D. Gillespie, S. T. D., Grand Rapids, Mich.; Hon. N. P. Loveridge, Coldwater, Mich.; Hon. G. W. McBride, Grand Haven, Mich.; Mr. T. A. Parish, Grand Haven, Mich.; Rev. J. N. Rippey, Muskegon, Mich.; Mr. W. P. Savidge, Spring Lake, Mich.; Hon. H. F. Severens, Kalamazoo, Mich.; Mr. E. F. Sweet, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Mr. A. S. White, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Hon. W. B. Williams, Allegan, Mich.


   Jas. Safford had his arm very seriously injured at Bloecker’s foundry this afternoon.


   A return game of base ball between Grand Haven and the guests of the Spring Lake House will be played Thursday afternoon at Spring Lake.  The game will be a hot one, (if the weather continues warm) the boys will be accompanied from this city by a band of music, and the base ball crank (what there be left of him) in all his glory will be there.



   A large part form this city chartered the steamer Joe last evening and made a trip to Muskegon.


   W. C. Dewey, one of the directors of the Grand Haven glass company, says the company will commence operations soon.—Grand Rapids Democrat.


   Student DeHaan, well known in this city, recently received a call from the Christian Reformed church, Oak Dale Park, Grand Rapids, which he will accept.


   From the Michigan crop report for August we take the following:  A. C. Northouse, Grand Haven, Ottawa Co.—Apple crop will be short.  Not over 10 per cent in this locality.  Late peaches also not over 25 per cent.


   An error in correcting proof yesterday made an annoying blunder in the account of the laying of the corner stone of the New Akeley building.  As formerly announced in the program the stone was laid by Bishop Gillespie.  Van Dongen & Yonker only performing the mechanical work.


Attention Co. F.

   All members are requested to report at the Armory, Thursday evening at eight o’clock sharp.  The purpose for which the call is made will be made known at the meeting.

                                                      Capt. F. A. MANSFIELD. Com.                 


Swallowed Chain.

   On Sunday last, Seward, son of H. Y. Potts, swallowed a watch chain fifteen inches in length and a quarter o an inch in width, with a clasp hook on the end, but like his illustrious father proved equal to the occasion and is now as bright and happy as ever.


Andres House Change.

   Edward Andres has sold his furniture and fixtures and leased the building to Mr. Joe N. Rue.  Mr. Andres has had personal supervision of the hotel for the past eight years and has conducted a first class house, entirely all of which is due to to his untiring energy.  Mr. Rue does not step in entirely inexperienced as he has been clerk of the hotel for a long time.  He is a hustler in every sense of the word and all can rest assured of good management.  He takes charge Sept. 1st.


Terrible Accident.

   Yesterday afternoon James Safford or “Jimmy” as he is popularly known, was putting a belt on the shafting above the grindstone in Bloecker’s Foundry, he slipped and fell, his arm being caught between the belt and wheel.  He was whirled around once and fell twenty feet on a heavy truck.  While he was being whirled around he struck the ladder on which he had been standing knocking it over. 

   He was carried home and Dr. Hofma called, who found that the left arm was broken in two places besides being terribly jammed and the bones protruding..  It was found necessary to amputate the arm which was done at 6:30 last evening, Drs. VanderVeen, Hofma and Reynolds performing the operation.

   “Jimmy” stood it all bravely, never uttering a groan at any time, and it was quite typical for him to say when carried home, “well boys, I might have walked.”

   A deep sympathy from a host of friends is felt for the young man in his sad affliction.


A Few Points About Electric Lights.

   In an interview with a gentleman connected with the Electric construction Co., we gather the following information:

The company does not intend to charge more than 76 cents per month for 16 candle power incandescent lights in stores and business places, where three or more are needed and where a large number are taken the price will be proportionately less.  For residences and churches the price will be governed by the number of lights taken and probable number of hours they are to burn.  For instance a light for a sleeping room which is lighted only a short time in the evening will not cost as much as one in a parlor that is lighted all evening. 

   The Company are in hopes to be able to furnish 1000 candle power arc lights in business places where they are not burned later than midnight for one dollar per week.  From our knowledge of such things we believe these prices are very reasonable and will put the light within the reach of any of our citizens who may wish to use it.



   Ground for the location of the Electric Light Plant was broken yesterday.


   A screen painter is doing a good job with screen doors in J. W. Kibler’s place of business.


   Mr. E. Stone is putting down a new side walk in front of his residence on Washington St.


   Sheriff Vaupell took Jas. Kennedy, the burglar, to Ionia this morning where he will remain for 90 days.


   F. D. Vos is putting has just put additional shelving in his crockery store to accommodate large purchases of new goods which are now arriving.


   The Grand Haven and Spring Lake clubs crossed bats at the Spring Lake grounds this afternoon.  E. Stone’s four in hand took the Grand Haven boys over.


   That young navigator Captain Thos. McCambridge of the propeller Street, has beaten all previous records between Fruitport and Escanaba in the ore trade.


   A party of five fishermen arrived in the city from Grand Rapids this morning.  They rowed down from that city stopping at several places to pull up the finny tribes.


   Mr. L. J. Mulder, who has been living at the Mieras house on Clinton St., since he burned out about three months ago, is moving back to his old house on Columbus St., today.  Mr. Mulder claims there is no place like home.


   The Grand Rapids Aldermen took a junket to Milwaukee the other day via this city and the Steamer Wisconsin.  Telegram Herald communicates on the affair as follows:

It was the steamer Wisconsin that sailed the summer sea.

     And the skipper had taken the Common Council to bear him company.

Bright were their smiles as the dewy morning of a pleasant summer day.

     And their noses were red as peony that opens in the month of May.


Will Manufacture Tobacco.

   Jos. Koeltz has decided to branch out somewhat in the tobacco business.  The recent law, reducing the tax from 18 cts. to 0 cts. per pound, making it again possible for the small manufacturer to compete with the larger concerns.

   Mr. Koeltz was a manufacturer of cigars and tobacco in New York before moving to this city, and when he came here packed away his tobacco cutter and left it there.  Deciding, as before said, to go into tobacco manufacturing here he sent for the machines, which arrived this morning .  His start in the new branch of the tobacco business is an experimental one, but will prove successful without the shadow of a doubt.  Tobacco manufacturing is a business distinct from that of cigar manufacturing and requires and additional bond of $5,000.


   The many friends of Jimmy Safford will be pleased to learn that he is improving nicely and suffers no pain today.


“These Too Shall Pass Away.”

   The unsightly old building back of the post office has been regulated to the shades, for which our city should duly give thanks.  There are several others about the city, it is true, but we “mourn not as those without hope.”  In due time (or a little later) these, too, shall pass away in emulation of the example of their illustrious predecessor.   



   The tug B. L. Cockell of Pentwater arrived at 1:30 this morning.  She is going on the dry dock at Kirby’s ship yard for repairs.


   The new hose cart for the fire department is now ready for business, and the fire laddies are very proud of it.  It was built by DeGlopper & Yonker of this city.  The painting work was done by Klaver Bros.


   Parasol Found—At Highland Park during the Second Reformed church picnic.  The owner can have the same by calling at the residence of H. Jonker, Pennoyer avenue, and paying for this notice.


   Last evening Mr. G. Boyink and Henrietta Bos were married.  This evening a wedding party will be given at Mr. H. Boyink’s residence on 7th St.  The grounds are to be illuminated with chinese lanterns.  Co. F., of which he is a member and the fire department boys will be in attendance.



   The Cutler House will be doing business by Sept. 1st.


   Mr. J. J. De Spelder lost a valuable cow yesterday afternoon.


   Frank Groneveldt launched his new hunting and duck boat last evening.


   The Electric Light Company are laying the foundation for their building.


   Work on the Grand Haven Electric Light & Power Co.’s plant is progressing finely.  About 17 men are employed on the grounds.


   Grand River was never known to be so low as at present.  The steamer Barrett lies stranded at Eastmanville unable to get any further.


   It is hoped that our tax paying citizens will show their appreciation of  city electric lighting by a generous turnout to the meeting called for Tuesday afternoon , 25th inst.


   Seward, the young son of H. Y. Potts, of Grand Haven, swallowed a watch chain fifteen inches long, a quarter of an inch wide, with a clasp hook on the end, last Sunday.  With the Potts faculty of getting out of a bad scrape Seward is on the O. K. list now and the watch chain has been restored to the proper owner.  Grand Rapids Telegram Herald.


A Bacheloristic Communication.

   Mr. Wachs, after this meddle with your own business and leave the Grand Haven bachelors alone.  Every one of them pays 100 cents on the dollar and if any one of those bachelors should ever run for city recorder and be elected, he will try to serve not only two years but four and give the best of satisfaction.

Yours Truly,

                    B. ZWAAGMAN.



   A scow load of brick arrived this p. m. for the electric plant.


   The barge Philetus Sawyer arrived with stone for the piers.  She coaled at Kirby coal yard.


   If you are in favor of electric lights do not fail to be on hand at the opera house tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock sharp, to vote “yes.”


   Quite a number of our citizens went to Milwaukee Sunday night on the steamer City of Milwaukee, and all report a good time.


   The steamship Atlanta, of the Goodrich line, left Chicago this morning at one o’clock and arrived in port about a half past eleven, which is remarkably good time in a heavy sea.  The Atlanta proves to be a first-rate sea boat and the passengers who came over in her have nothing but praise for her and her gallant crew.


   While the electric light people say very little, if anything about the electric street railroad, a visit to their lot, corner of Clinton and Water streets, discloses the fact that they are putting in machinery of sufficient power to run the road, and are also erecting a building for the storing of cars.  All this looks as though they really intend to build the road.  We hope they will.


The Boyden Anniversary.

   The silver wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Boyden Saturday evening passed off in a very pleasant manner.  The “bride and groom” renewed their youth amid the congratulations of their friends, and their smiling faces gave but little indication of the 25 years they have elapsed since the important event, commemorated by the gathering.  The presents were numerous and beautiful, the decorations of the house and lawn tasty and fitting, the refreshments, needless to relate, superb.

   The guests numbered about 120.  The City Band put in an appearance at an early hour and furnished a few delightful selections on the lawn.  There were presents and remembrances from twelve states and territories, including almost everything in the line of silver and crystal.  A detailed description of the presents would occupy too much space, but mention may be made of two unique and appropriate presents, the one a cabinet containing specimens of silver ore and a silver brick inscribed with the names of the happy recipients and the dates ‘66-’91, from Mayor and Mrs. Calkins, of Butte Montana, and the other a deed of a half interest in a mine and a specimen of the workings, from Don. M. Kedzie, of Lordsville, New Mexico.  The guests left at ten after giving Mr. and Mrs. Boyden a hearty handshake and expressing a hope such as was expressed by a telegram received from a friend unavoidably absent “May we all dance at the golden wedding.”



They All Want It.

   The electric light meeting of five or six hundred of the representative tax paying citizens of the city at the Opera House this 2 p.m. was not only unanimously in favor of electric lighting. but enthusiastically so.

   We say unanimous, there were two dissenting votes, or rather one and a half as the second man who started to say “no” changed his mind when about half through and ended in an inglorious squeak.  There was never any doubt as to the out-come of this meeting, but the form of having one has been gone through with, and the coast made clear for another notable public progression.


Akeley Concert.

   The concert last evening in the Unitarian church was one of the most enjoyable Musicals it has been the privilege of the writer to attend.  All though nearly impromptu it was evident that the performers are always ready for action, and the programme, which we give below, had all of the effects of a carefully laid out and practiced plan.

   In a slight notice it would not be possible or permissible to speak of each participant, but special mention must be made of Miss Marion Ralston, of St. Louis, and Miss Minor of Chicago.  Miss Ralston, whose extreme youth prevents her being even a debutante is one whose genius must be apparent to all music lovers.  In inspiration as well as in technique, she is marvelous, but this is not all.  It is as an improvisatrice that the gift of this child of music is most apparent.  In response to a hearty encore, after a brilliant rendering of Rameau’s Gavotte Miss Rawlston returned to the piano, and played a delicious little Romanye, one of her own impromptu compositions.  “The Mill,’ her second encore is nearly a little study of Jensen’s.  The artistic rendering above produced the delightful effect on the audience.

   Miss Miner possesses not only a pure rich voice, filling with not the least effort, the council hall, or subdued to the limit of the drawing room, but a manner so charming, so free from mannerism, and so joyous that it is like listening to a bird singing from pure love of being.  The enthusiastic audience greeted the singer again and again with encores, and when, after the third response, they permitted Miss Miner to retire, it was with marvelous subduing of selfish desire, to the spell of the music.

   The concert was pleasantly closed by reading of Mrs. M. H. Parsons.

   We are unable to say how much the concert netted for Akeley Institute, but the real enjoyment must far exceed the greatest money value.


   Moszkowski—(a) Waltz,   (b) Bolero.—Mrs. Rawlston and Mrs. Kelsey.

   Gordigiani—O-Sanctissma—Virgine Maria.

   Encore, Bonnie Sweet Bessie—Miss Miner.

   Hartwell—Sim’s Little Girl.  Mrs M. H. Parsons.

   Rameau—Gavotte, Encore, Romanye.  Miss Marion Rawlston.

   Marsials—Go Pretty Rose, Mrs. Kelsey and Miss Miner.

   Katrina’s Visit to New York, Mrs. Parsons.

   Jordan—(a) Love’s Philosophy, Nevin, (b) Serenade, Encore, Clover Blossoms, Miss Miner.

   Schubert, Liszt—Valse de Vienne, Miss Marion Rawlston.  Encore. Jensen, The Mill.  



   Kaiser Wilhelm cleaned boilers at the water works last night.


   Andrew Pitlanski—assault and battery—before Justice Pageleson paid $8 and costs.


   When will the matter of a free bridge between this city and Spring Lake be taken up and disposed of?


   Just six days from today you can shoot duck, providing of course, you have the opportunity.


   The barge V. E. Rumler of  Silver Lake, with others ran into our harbor last night and remained until this morning when the rather heavy sea which had been running was subsided somewhat.


   John Walsh, who’s interests are in Chicago, but who has been stopping with his parents in Spring Lake for some time recuperating his energies prepatory to a fall and winter business onslaught in the Garden City, was hustling about our town this morning.  There is a probability that “Johnnie” may return to his first love, the little city of churches across the toll bridge, for good and enter business there.


Bloecker Foundry Burned.

   H. Bloecker & Co., met with a serious loss last night in the burning at about one o’clock for the Foundry and contents adjacent to their engine works. Origin of the fire unknown.  Loss $3,000; insurance $1,080.

   There has been much comment on the prompt response and action of the fire department, to which is entirely due to the fact that the fire did not consume the entire plant.



   Spiles are being driven for a dock for the electric light plant.


   The grocerymen are holding their picnic at Highland Park this afternoon. 


   Mr. H. VanDerPloeg had a tooth pulled yesterday.  He reports brandy to be the best pain killer.


   Will the disposition of that pestiferous relic of barbarism, the Spring Lake toll bridge, ever take place?


   Considering the appearance of the picnicking grocers provisions will be very wet tomorrow.


   It is reported that Mr. Bloecker will rebuild the foundry very soon, making it as large as the machine shop.


   The tug B. L. Cockrell which has been on the dry dock at Kirby’s ship yard returned to Pentwater this morning.


   The Lizzie Walsh, Captain Aris Woltman, with a large crowd of excursionists from Ottawa Beach arrived here this morning.


   Folgert Ennings, of Sixth street, fell asleep while reading a book this morning and up to 2 o’clock, though every effort had been made to wake him was still sleeping.


   The funeral of Dan O. Connell, of Grand Haven township, which was held at the Catholic church of this city, yesterday forenoon, was largely attended by his old friends and neighbors.


   Johnnie DeGlopper, while playing ball in front of his home on Second St., was hit in the nose by a foul tip breaking that organ.  Dr. Hofma attended him and Johnnie now bears an ornamental plaster.


   Mrs. E. Bolhouse died at her home on Washington St., corner 8th, yesterday afternoon of inflammation of the bowels.  She was 45 years, 11 months of age.  Funeral service will be held at the house tomorrow afternoon.




The Elite of the City Were There.

Description of Ceremony and Costumes.


   It was a very beautiful and notable society event and the elite of society’s event of the season—the wedding last evening of W. B. Dubee, of Ripon, Wis., to Miss Marion VanderVeen, eldest daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A. VanderVeen, of this city.  The nuptial ceremony took place at St. John’s Episcopal church, before a large number of invited guests, and was performed by Rev. Dr. Wilkinson, after which the company re-assembled at the family residence, where refreshments were served.

   In the order of ceremony in St. John’s, first came the two ushers,  Mr. Armstead and  Mr. Shippey, then the bridesmaids, Miss Beall, of St. Louis, and Miss Jenks, of Grand Rapids; following them was the maid of honor, Miss Glover; then came Marguerite, the little sister of the bride, bearing flowers, and Master Harry Wilkinson carrying the ring on a white velvet cushion:  the last of come was the bride leaning on the arm of her father.  They were met at the alter by the groom and his best man, Mr. McFarland, of Olivet College.

   The beautiful Episcopal service was made more impressive by a sweet prayer being sung just before the benediction, by the bride’s mother, Mrs. Squires, Mrs. Boyce and Mrs Koster.  Mrs. McKillup, presided at the organ.  The church was beautifully decorated with yellow and white flowers and ferns.  The wedding party stood under an arch of ferns and lighted candles.

   The bride’s gown was an ivory white faille, en train, garniture with orange blossoms and embroidered white chiffon, tulle veil, fastened with a pearl tiara, and carried a bouquet of white sweet peas.

   Miss Beall wore a pale blue silk tissue over a gown of silk the same shade, short pink veil, fastened with a diamond star, and carried pink sweet peas.

   Miss Jenks wore a pale blue silk tissue over blue silk, trimmed in blue ribbon velvet and for-get-me-nots, short blue veil and carried a bouquet of variegated peas.

   Mrs. VanderVeen wore thin black silk grenadine with black embroidered chiffon, diamond and black jet ornaments.

   Marguerite a white silk “Kata Greenaway” frock; Master Harry Wilkinson in black velvet page’s costume.

   The groom’s gifts to the maid of honor and bridesmaid were lockets in the form of beautiful gold hearts with individual monograms of  the recipients.

   There were a great many guests from abroad among whom were Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Frost, of Chicago; Mrs. Frost was an intimate school friend of the bride; Mr. and Mrs. Mend, of Hesperia; Mr. and Mrs. Wood and the Misses Wilson, of Muskegon; Mrs. Pratt, of Ionia; Mrs. and Miss Beall, Mrs. and Miss Blue, Capt. Barnes and Mr. Edgar of, of St. Louis; Mrs. and Miss Sherely, Mr. Swager Sherely, of Louisville, Ky.; Miss Farrington and Mr. James Farrington, Terre Haute, Ind., Mrs Raymond and Mrs. Howell of Dayton, Ohio; Mr. McFarland, of Olivet; Rev. and Mrs. VanderVeen and son and Miss VanderVeen, of Grand Rapids; Mr. and Mrs. VanderVeen, Mr. John VanderVeen, and the Misses VanderVeen, of Holland; Mrs. McKillup, of Muskegon; Miss Libby Colvin, of Chicago; Miss Lester, of Grand Rapids.  The presents were very numerous and beautiful.    




The D., G. H. & M. will build one at once.


   MILWAUKEE, Aug. 26.—An important conference has just been held at the Chamber of commerce between a committee of the chamber of commerce and General Manager Spicer and General Traffic Manager Lord, of the Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee railroad company, the subject under consideration being the need for a grain elevator at Grand Haven for the handling of grain shipments from Milwaukee by lake and rail to eastern points.  A number of commission men and merchants were present at the conference, who explained to the Grand Haven officials the great need of elevator facilities on the other side of the lake.  The annoying grain blockade of a year ago in Milwaukee and the immense quantities of grain expected to arrive this fall with the probabilities of another blockade were referred to.  Shippers here prefer to send their grain across the lake and thence east by rail rather than via Chicago, where delays seem unavoidable, owing to the immense business during the grain shipping season.  In anticipation of this the Milwaukee and Eastern Transportation Company is erecting a large elevator at Benton Harbor, and with similar facilities at Grand Haven.  Milwaukee would, it was urged, be in excellent shape to promptly fill all eastern orders and to prevent a blockade.  The Grand Haven officials saw the force of the arguments and intimated that they would take immediate steps to secure the needed elevator facilities.  Since it started last spring the Milwaukee and Eastern has been daily receiving and forwarding hundreds of tons of Milwaukee freight which is landed at Benton Harbor and then sent east by rail.  A vast new shipping business has been created and when the grain begins to move more offers for shipment will be received than any one lake transportation company can handle, and if the Grand Haven company puts in an elevator it can also have all the grain it can carry.—Grand Rapids Democrat.



   The government tug Williams was in port today.


   Barney Zwaagman has purchased a new peddler’s wagon.


   The Spring Lake House closes Sunday for the season.


   The large government dredge Saginaw arrived in this port this morning.


   The grocers report having a great time at their picnic yesterday in spite of the rain.


   The schooner J. W. Johnson arrived from Muskegon with a load of shingle blocks this p. m.


   There is considerable fault found with that mud hole in front of A. Kiel’s furniture store.


   The steamer Atlanta got in three hours late this morning, caused by a heavy sea outside.


   The pleasure boat Favorite from Ottawa Beach was in our port yesterday.


   A hen peacock was picked up by J. Shippers last night.  The owner is requested to call and get it and pay for this notice.


   Martin Everts, of Washington ave., is quite sick with malaria fever.  His mother who has been visiting in Chicago will arrive home this evening.


   Folgert Ennings, the boy who fell asleep yesterday morning and could not be awakened is reported to be awake to day and and none the worse for his long sleep.


   The steamer Joe goes off the route between here and Fruitport Sunday, and will go on the Ottawa Beach and Holland route.  The steamer Sprite takes her place.


   Quite an excitement was created yesterday afternoon by the discovery of fire on the roof of the Kirby House.  It was extinguished without the aid of the fire department.


   Poel wedding



   The government boat Hancock is in port today.


   A beautiful atmospheric display was witnessed along the northern heavens last evening.


   City Surveyor Brayton is fixing the grade of 5th street between Washington and Fulton.


   The government tug Williams with her three consort scows left last night for Michigan City.


   Bloecker & Co., are putting up a temporary building in place of their burned foundry, and will be ready for business by Wednesday,


   The vacant building adjoining Van Wormer’s restaurant is being occupied by G. L. Venstra as a boot and repair shop.


   Wednesday morning as the City of Racine neared Chicago she discovered some wreckage floating in the lake.  It is now thought to belong to the lost schooner Thomas Hume, and Capt. Seth Lee of Muskegon has been engaged to make a search for the craft.  If found, a diver will go down and examine it.


   Yesterday morning a wreck was discovered on the shore of Lake Michigan in Olive township, and upon investigation was found to be the yacht “Little Harry.”  It was owned by Cornelious VanHoeven, who with his little son Harry were on the boat most of the time during the summer, plying between the Holland resorts.  The dead body of his son was found in the cabin, but the father is supposed to have been washed off deck and drowned.  Mr. VanHoeven is well known in this city having moved to Muskegon a year ago.  He was 70 years of age, and leaves a widow to mourn his loss.



   The City of Racine in coming out of the Muskegon harbor Saturday struck the bar three or four times.


   A man fell through the dock yesterday morning as he was carrying the line of the Atlanta to a pile.


   The body of  skipper Cornelius VanHoeven, wrecked last week with his little son Harry, on his yacht, “Little Harry,” was found on the beach Saturday near Port Sheldon.


   The firemen wish to publicly to express their thanks for and sincere appreciation of the fine lunch furnished them last night by by Mrs. J. Mastenbrock, Mrs. E. Moll and Miss Minnie Fisher.


   A foul tip has broken the nose of little Johnny DeGlopper of Grand Haven.  Johnny may not be as nice looking here-after, but he knows the sensation of a great ball player.—Grand Rapids Democrat.


   The steamer Wisconsin after several attempts to make Muskegon harbor, returned to this city Saturday afternoon.  Muskegon is continually bragging of its superior harbor advantages and yet their is not a captain on the lake that would enter that port in a heavy sea.


   Engineer Ludlow is actually surveying Grand River, the Grand Rapids folks still insisting that it can be made into a great ship canal and their city into a seaport.  Colonel Ludlow works for a steady salary and under order, but he must be frescoed inside with inward smiles as he thinks of the absurdity of the whole scheme.  As well try to move Grand Rapids by rail to Grand Haven.—Muskegon Chronicle.




This Time it is Silas Kilbourn & Co.’s Factory That Goes up in Smoke. 

A Serious Loss But Will Probably be Rebuilt.


   The industries of our city met with another hard blow in Silas Kilbourn & Co.’s serious loss in the burning of their Kit Factory last night.  The fire broke out about 10 o’clock from some cause which cannot be assigned, and in the mass of dry timbers, boards and sawdust, burned like kindling wood, and had gained such headway before the fire department could arrive that to save the main building, or any part of it was an improbability.  It is hardly necessary to say that the department did most excellent service, as usual, working all night to prevent the spreading of the fire to adjacent buildings and cooper shops belonging to the company.

   A close estimate of the loss has not yet been ascertained, but will be from $12 to $15,000, insured for $6000.  The company employed 80 hands, 50 or 55 of whom will now be out of employment for a time at least.  The company will be able to keep their cooper shops running right along.

   It is understood that the factory will be rebuilt very soon, but there has been no meeting of the stockholders or officers as yet, and therefore no plans of definite shape have been formulated for the future.

   This institution has been one of the substantial industries of the city, and it is sincerely hoped that it will rebuild and continue operations here.