The Evening Tribune

Grand Haven, Mich.   September 1892




   There are thoughts in thy heart of death.  Thou art doing a secret work, and heaping up treasures for another year.  The new born infant buds which thou art tending are more than all the living leaves.  Thy robes are luxuriant, but worn with softened pride.  More dear, less beautiful than June, thou art the heart’s month.  Not till the heats of summer are gone, while all it’s growths remain do we know the fullness of life.  Thy hands are stretched out, and clasp the glowing palm of August, and the fruit smelling hand of October.  Thou dividest them asunder, and art thy self molded of them both.



   Co. F’s new armory will be a thing of beauty and should have encouragement from our citizens.


   VanDongen & Jonker commenced the brick work this morning of the new city pump house.


   The boom, boom, boom, of the hunter’s guns were heard along the river, long before sunrise this morning.


   There was a report this afternoon that the steamer Valley City had been sold, and would run no more.  She did not arrive today but the customs officials state that they have no report on the sale.


   The gearing of the shaft connecting the engine room and the currying shop of the tannery broke yesterday, thus giving a number of the employees a day off.  A flying tooth of one of the cog wheels barely missed the head of Oliver Brockway and lodged deep in a timber near by.  Outside of two broken cog-wheels no damage was done.


   People in this city will probably be more interested in the coming Sullivan-Corbett fight when it is known that Mike Donovan, the adviser and supporter of James Corbett, at one time lived here.  Donovan, some eighteen or twenty years ago was an employee in the ship yard and had a local fame as a pugilist.  At about that time a beer garden was opened at what was then known as Mill Point.  Here the sports would congregate and here Donovan fought his first battle.  His opponent was a man named Kelley.  Since he has left here nothing has been heard of him till his name became prominent in connection with the fight.


   Horace Brown, a Muskegon bicyclist, arrived in town yesterday on the D. G. H. & M. and left shortly after for Muskegon.  He has been wheeling through Canada for the last two weeks, also in this state, going by wheel from Grand Rapids to Jackson, Lansing Ann Arbor and Detroit.


Co. F Armory.

   With the exception of some inside work and furniture, Co. F’s new armory is nearly complete.  The Challenge Corn Planter Factory will make the lockers and it is expected that the armory will be ready for occupancy in about three weeks.  The main floor of the building is divided into six different rooms or apartments; two of which are intended for parlors and will be furnished in a costly style.  The lockers will be of the latest approved pattern, finished in mahogany and antique oak and the whole armory will be finished in a manner that will make it an attractive as well as a pleasant place for the boys in blue to spend their leisure hours.

   A prominent member and official of the corporation when addressed by the TRIBUNE reporter today in regard to the financial condition of the company, remarked as follows:  “Yes, we have already incurred a large debt in the building of this armory but we do not intend to let that interfere with making it a first class armory equal to any in the state outside Detroit and as our ability to extricate ourselves from large debts, we have shown ourselves equal to that by the way in which we bought and paid for the Opera House and lot in less than six years time.”

   “Most of the other militia companies get considerable financial assistance form the citizens of their towns in the way of honorary, or contributing memberships; but all of the property that we own is the produce of our own labors and the good management of our company property for we have always been fortunate in electing none but able men to our Board of Directors.”  The truth of the above statement must be admitted much to the discredit to our citizens.  Co F is an organization of which we believe all of our citizens feel justly proud and the importance of contributing liberally for its maintenance as other cities are doing, is evidently plain as the annual allowance for from the state is mostly needed for armory expenses and in order to keep the young men of a small city interested in a military company there must be some attraction outside of the laborious duties of a soldier, which after a year or so of service, becomes monotonous and lose all their attractions in a great many  young men.  Besides this an honorary membership of a military company in this state exempts the holder from all jury duties and this certainly is of valuable importance to our busy business men who rarely endeavor to escape jury duty so often when called upon just at a time when their business needs their attention; and it certainly seems that our business men would be glad to avail themselves of such an opportunity and at the same time help[ an organization that always stands ready to assist them in holiday celebrations and other occasions without a dollar cost.

   The present would be a good time for our citizens to show their appreciation of the existence of this institution in our city.  Why not present them with a parlor set for an organ, or both?  We believe it can be done if someone will start a list and solicit subscriptions, and it certainly ought to be done.


   We are told that there were two deaths from the genuine cholera in this section in 1853.  A sailor on a schooner sailing to Chicago was taken with the plague and removed to his house in Spring Lake where he died.  A friend contracted the disease from him and also died.  These are the only cases ever known here.


   In Michigan’s exhibit at the world’s Fair a photograph of all the principal buildings and colleges throughout the state will be shown.  Akeley Institute and Hope College will be among them and many of the Holland and Catholic private schools.  Also photographs of members of the legislature, editors and preachers.  Portraits showing the principal industries of the state, and views of the old lumbering days.  Another novel feature in the Michigan exhibit will be a birdseye view of the state 14 feet square, showing every river, and stream, every county, city and village in the state, the hills and valleys, the nature of the soil, the character of the timber and the various mineral deposits.  The map will be drawn from an imaginary point about two miles above the city of Toledo, and the view obtained will cover Lakes Michigan, Huron and Superior, the Upper Peninsula and a portion of Wisconsin.  The map will cost $10,000 and will require six months of hard work to prepare.  Similar maps on a smaller scale will be prepared of Grand Rapids, Detroit, Saginaw, Muskegon and other cities, but these will be paid by the cities interested and not by the state.




   The officers have their eyes on the young lady cyclists who ran over several men on Washington St. last evening.


   One of the boxes of fish on Henry Dornbos’ wagon dropped off on Washington street last evening.  Fish were scattered along the street about a block.


   The steamer Nellie came from Fruitport last evening loaded to the water’s edge.  Many of the resorters on the lake are returning home and her deckway above the cabin was filled with baggage and trunks.


A Sneak Thief.

   John Kooman, M. Kamhout, Fred Hovey, John Boyink, Buckley Lehman, and Ed. VanderZalm will hereafter be steered clear of, while out on a hunting expedition by thieves.  These gentlemen formed a hunting expedition up the river where they had a camp.  They had been camp but a short time when a fellow living in those parts, named Frank Austin, better known as Prentice, called upon them.  He appeared to be friendly and the boys treated him to cigars, etc.

   In the evening the party indulged in a game of cards.  During the excitement of the game Austin sneaked around the room rifling coat pockets.  At nearly one o’clock the hunters discontinued the game and prepared for bed.  Austin left for home.  One of the party happened to feel into his pockets found that his cigars and shells were missing.  The others also noticed they had been robbed.  This led them to suspect that Austin was the thief and the party started after him.  He was found just in the nick of time, ready to push his boat out.  He cautioned them not to come near him and raised his rifle to his shoulder and telling them to keep off or he would shoot them.  Not daunted in the least, John Kooiman jumped in the boat and grabbed the fellow by the throat.  Fred Hovey wrested the gun away.  During the struggle the fellow tried to throw the stolen cartridges in the river and did manage to get rid of a few.

   After being over-powered Austin was brought to the camp and securely tied, and kept till the next morning.  In the intervening time he was put through what he termed “hell.”  The hunters were so enraged that they drenched him repeatedly and even harder punishment.

   If he uttered a word he knew what to expect.  In the morning he was released and was a mighty glad man to say the least.  The hunters kept his gun but he dared not demure.  The party returned home today, but returned the gun by a man living in that section.

   Austin is a sneak thief and deserved all he got.  The punishment he received will probably be the best lesson of his life.


   The Grand Rapids Herald says:  the Milwaukee and Goodrich steamers were wind bound at Grand Haven.  This is libel.  The above steamers were not wind bound here but at Muskegon.  Furthermore they could have gotten out of here at any period of the gale with ease.


   The steamer Western Reserve, with twenty-seven persons on board, broke in two in Tuesday night’s gale and sank twenty miles off Sable Point, Lake Superior.  Harry Stewart, the wheelsman, is the only survivor.  Among those lost, in addition to twenty one members of the crew, were Captain Minch, the wealthy vessel-owner of Cleveland, proprietor of the Western Reserve, his wife, son and daughter.


Crockery Township.


   [This article describing the early settlement of Crockery Township. Ottawa Center and Henry Pennoyer, can be found in its entirety on microfilm at the Loutit Library] 




   The citizens should take hold and provide carriages for the Grand Rapids business men when they visit us next Wednesday.  Show them about the city and Highland Park.


   The fastest three consecutive mile heats ever trotted by a four-year-old stallion; viz: 2:16¼, 2:18, 2:16¾ was made by Geo. St. Clair, at Independence, Iowa, last Friday, Aug. 26th.  Geo. St. Clair is owned by Thos. Savidge of Spring Lake.


   The new fish tug being built by the Grand Haven Ship Building Co., for O’Beck, VanZanten & Co., was launched this afternoon.  Her engine was built by H. Bloecker & Co., and is 13x14.  The boiler was built by Johnston Bros., diameter 5ft, 3 inches, length 9 feet.


Grand Rapids is Coming.

   A large delegation of Grand Rapids business men and government and railroad officials will come down here from that enterprising suburb of Grand Rapids, on the steamer Valley City Wednesday next, weather permitting.  They will come under the auspices of the managers of the new Grand River packet line, and that they become better acquainted with water communication between Grand Rapids and this harbor,—the only harbor of general importance on this side of Lake Michigan.

   Our business men should turn out and give them a royal welcome, and introduce them to our large and varied interests.


   The Lighthouse Board is contemplating the introduction of electric lights in the lighthouses along the lakes.  This system of lighting has been tried at Sandy Hook, and has given complete satisfaction.  It is believed that the difference in cost will more than make up by the better service by the new light.


   Master Nick Ringleberg, aged 13, son of Henry Ringleberg, while crossing the river in a row boat today capsized.  Nick can swim like a fish and reached shore without trouble.  Those who stood on the deck and saw him capsize were more frightened than he was, not thinking at first that he could help himself.



   There is a certain class of persons here in Grand haven and its vicinity who delight in, whenever they have an opportunity, to run this country down, by telling strangers, who come here with the intention of staying or purchasing lands, that it is a poor place, that farmers around here can barely make their bare living and advise them to go somewhere else.

   Now then, why don’t they leave themselves? And go to the promised land, where milk and honey flow in abundance, and roasted pigeons drop right into their open mouths.  It would be better for them and a blessing to this place, to get rid of these persons.

   But these parasites will stick here after all, hunting for an easy living and lucrative offices, like the itch baccillia to a healthy persons

   I think it is a miserable bird, which soils its own nest.

   Always stick up for Grand Haven and its vicinity.       





   The Corn Planter factory shut down today to give its employees an opportunity to celebrate Labor Day.


   The fire today was on the Buswells sawdust.  Two alarms were turned in.


   A duel was fought yesterday in Bennett’s Hollow, between two Chicago sports, who were both paying attention to a young lady living on 6th street.  Little damage was done however, and both left for Chicago last night the best of friends, agreeing to never do such a foolish thing again.


   O’Beke, Van Zanten & Co.’s new fish tug has been named “Annie.”


   Never before this season have there been so many pleasure yachts here and at Spring Lake.  The following yachts were here yesterday:  steam yacht Rambler of Grand Rapids, steam yacht Hattie Ray of Muskegon, sailing yacht Enola of Chicago, steam yacht Gadabout of Salem, Mass., and steam yacht Eli of Muskegon.


   The lake Seamen’s Benevolent Association has offered a reward of $10 for the recovery of any of the bodies from the schooner City of Toledo, recently lost in Lake Michigan.  A request will be sent to the secretary of the navy for an investigation into the conduct of the life-saving crew at Manistee, Mich., at the time the City of Toledo was lost.  The association charges that the crew acted with great cowardice on that occasion.  It is stated in the communication that the association can prove that two-thirds of the crews at all the life-saving stations on the lakes are not fit for the position they hold as life-boat crews.—Milwaukee Wisconsin.

   The Wisconsin probably speaks on the spur of the moment as there are many crews who have shown themselves ready at any emergency.  Grand Haven crew for instance has never shirked at any time and have shown themselves capable for their position.


Small Riot.

   Saturday evening about ten o’clock a small riot took place near Roosien’s store on the corner of 7th and Fulton streets.  It seems that John DeSpelder, the old veteran who was a little worse for liquor.  Deputy marshal VandenBerg who was at home reading, was informed and proceeded to take John home.  A bystander asked the deputy what he arrested DeSpelder for, thinking he was taking him to jail.  This started several others to talking and a general fist fight began.  The officer was knocked down and DeSpelder released.  Henry VandenBerg’s wife saw the trouble and brought him his revolver and club.  He warned the crowd off and they dispersed.  No arrests.

   As in all such cases both sides have a story of their own.  Officer VandenBerg claims he was taking John home and not to jail.  A young fellow asked what he was arresting John for.  This brought upon him Phil and Will Van Dongen.  Blows were dealt on both sides and the officer knocked down and DeSpelder released.

   The Van Dongens claim the officer was drunk and that DeSpelder was harming no one.  They bear marks as well as the officer.  Plenty of threats on both sides but no suits as yet.




   The Electric light at the Spring Lake bridge will be lit as usual this evening.


   H. P. Wyman and family will move from Highland Park to their home in Grand Rapids tomorrow.


   Henry W. Lewis will board the next fifteen days in jail for being drunk and disorderly.  He was sentenced by Justice Angel yesterday.


   1040 pupils were enrolled in the city schools yesterday.  This is the largest number that have ever been enrolled on the first day.  The whole number will probably be increased to 100 by the end of the month.


   School has commenced in earnest and the scholars are getting used to the routine.


   The firemen by their efforts yesterday at the sawdust fire saved several poles for the Telephone Co.


   Rev. Reese received a letter from his sister in Berlin last week, stating that she had seen and conversed with Dr. Hofma.


   Thomas Fitzgerald, foreman of wheeler’s ship yard at Bay City says that the construction of the steamer Western Reserve was faulty in construction.  He was employed at the Cleveland Ship building Co.’s yard at the time the Reserve was built.  He now claims that while she was under construction he informed the superintendent of the yard and the President of the company that the work on the vessel was not of the right sort.  He was discharged from the yards soon after and claims to have made an affidavit before the Government Inspectors stating that she was unseaworthy.  Since the wreck of the Reserve, Fitzgerald has been getting considerable newspaper notoriety.  If Fitzgerald had done as much talking when the boat was being built, as he is doing now, he might have done some good, and saved 25 lives.  Coming as it does now it reminds on, of the boy’s “I told you so.”  Fitzgerald may do such a thing as talk too much. 



   Mrs. Henry VandenBerg wishes us to state that her husband was not drunk Saturday night, at the time of the row on 7th street.  This the Van Dongen’s said was the case.  Mrs. VandenBerg says that she thinks Phillip Van Dongen, one of the participants in the fight was drunk.  When she brought the revolver and club to her husband, Phillip Van Dongen asked her what business she had to come out.  Mrs. VandenBerg told him civilly that she was attending to her own business.  Van Dongen then said:  “If you say another word, I’ll throw you in the middle of the road.”  Mrs. VandenBerg did not think he would so grossly insult a lady, if sober.  According to Mrs. VandenBerg, it would seem that Phil Van Dongen was drunk and not the officer.

   Mr. VandenBerg was placed in a bad position, he being a deputy, and not supposed to get intoxicated.


   The Valley City Transportation  Company, through the Manager VanAsmus, has invited the stockholders, prominent shippers, newspaper men and the leading railroad men, with their families, to take a complimentary excursion on the new steamer Valley City, Wednesday morning, leaving here at 8 o’clock sharp.  The Grand Haven people will entertain the visitors at that end of the line, and the Chicago & West Michigan will run the tourists home on a special train with compliments of the railroad company.  The boat will run the course without a stop, and it goes without saying that a delightful time will be enjoyed.—G. R. Democrat.


   Thos. Brown was arrested yesterday by deputy marshal VandenBerg for being drunk and disorderly.  He was taken before Judge angel and sentenced to 12 days in jail.


   The young grocery clerk known as “Muzzle” had better think twice before attempting to throw any more potatoes.  He was a much sought for individual this morning.


   The tug Rambler, owned by Gilbert & curry, of Algonac, was destroyed by fire in the north channel Saturday evening.  Cause unknown.  She was just making a landing.  Loss $2,000.


   Three electric light poles in the vicinity of the Spring Lake bridge were burned in yesterday’s fire at Buswell’s old yard.  In consequence the light at the bridge was not lit last night.


World’s Fair Notes.

   [This report of the World’s Fair can be seen in its entirety on microfilm at the Loutit Library]




   Phillip Van Dongen wishes to say that the statement made by Mrs. Henry VandenBerg in yesterday’s TRIBUNE that he was drunk at the Saturday night row, was untrue.  Furthermore Mr. Van Dongen wishes to state that he did not threaten to throw Mrs. VandenBerg “in the middle of the road” and never had that intention.  It is to be hoped that this will settle the matter as it must be disagreeable to all parties concerned by this time.


   The steamer Valley city arrived at 2:45 this afternoon with 200 of Grand Rapids influential business men.  Before landing the steamer went out to the piers to give the excursionists a view of Lake Michigan.  Among the party are many prominent newspaper men and others prominent in Grand Rapids.  They are being shown about the city and Park this afternoon and all speak in praise of the town.


   Mr. L. L. Van Wormer died this afternoon at 2:15 in the living rooms in the rear of his son, E. L. Van Wormer’s restaurant.  Mr. Van Wormer has been living here for two weeks lingering between life and death.  He came here from his home in Oxford, Oakland Co., to see if the change in climate would not improve his health as he was a sufferer from stomach and heart trouble.  Mr. Van Wormer leaves five sons, L. L. of Clare, E. L. of this city, William of Oxford, A. M. of this city and Chas. of Chicago.  All are here except the eldest L. L. Van Wormer.  The remains of Mr. Van Wormer will be taken tomorrow to Oxford for burial.  The many fiends of the family in this city extend their sincere sympathy.


   Rev. and Mrs. Badger of Hampton, Iowa, spent yesterday in the city, the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Meiras, going across the lake last evening to Chicago.  Some 20 years or more ago, Mrs. Badger, (then Miss Crow, and the name by which she is better known) was teacher of the old Beech Tree school.  She was the first teacher and taught several years.  At that time Beech Tree school was the most important in town and was largely attended.  It is today the oldest school building in the city except one, which is part of the residence of Mr. John Nell.  Mrs. Badger is familiar with the names of nearly all who attended her school and spent yesterday visiting her old scholars.  It is needless to say that reminiscences of old school days were exchanged on both sides.


   Miss Hannah Roost of Holland has been secured as teacher of the Rosy Mound school for the coming year by the school board of the district.


   Geo. Kennedy is now owner of a handsome St. Bernard dog, which he received yesterday.  The dog is direct from England and is of valuable pedigree.


Collar Bone Broken.

   Charlie Otto, a young man of the fourth ward, aged about 18 years had a narrow escape from death last evening.  He was assisting Ed. Hicks in breaking a wild Texas bronco on Pennoyer Ave.  The horse had on the bridle and reins but was not attached to a wagon.  Otto was holding the reins, when the horse gave a vicious lunge forward and started off at a terrific speed.  The sudden jump jerked Otto down and he was dragged many feet.  Hicks ran to his assistance and grabbed the lines.  Otto then let go and the horse was left to continue it’s wild run.

   When the onlookers went to Otto’s assistance they saw that he was seriously hurt about the arm or shoulder.  He was taken to his home and Dr. VanderVeen summoned.  His shoulder bone was found to be broken.  It was set and he was made as easy as possible.  Today he is getting along as well as could be expected, but it will be two months before he will again be able to work.  It is particularly bad from the fact that it was his right shoulder.

   The horse which belongs to Paul VandenBerg, was captured late last night near George Miller’s farm.  Ed. Hicks will have nothing more to do with the animal, and the Fourth Warders can rest easy that no more will be nearly killed from that source.



The Best Location for Manufacturing!

   It may be saying a good deal to claim for any locality that is the best point for the location of any sort of manufacturing industry.  But that is just what is claimed for Grand Haven.  And why?  Here are some of the reasons:

   It is the best located to get low rates for shipping freight east or west, north or south.  Being on the shore of Lake Michigan, (with a harbor the WIDEST AND DEEPEST on the chain of Lakes, open all the year round,) it secures water rates west with prompt shipments; orders received by telegraph by dealers here up to five or six o’clock p.m. each day are shipped by boat same night, arriving either in Milwaukee or Chicago in season for business next morning.  This is a feature Grand Rapids would give millions of dollars for, (or have the, Government give her.)  There are two competing railroads east, and son there will be the third, giving as low rates to the east as are enjoyed by any city in Western Michigan.  Ample facilities are also in hand for shipping north or south by either rail or water.

   Splendid sites are to be had either on banks of the river or one of the railroads, or both.  All property is moderate in price and reasonable in taxation.  Grand Haven can modestly invite the attention of manufacturers to superior advantages for locating.  Nature has done much for her, and a happy and prosperous people have likewise done much to make her what she is today as a manufacturing center.  Yet but a beginning has been made, of what will be done during the next five years.

   Boats run to Milwaukee all winter bringing every day about twelve hundred tons of freight for the east, and it is expected that another line of boats will commence this winter to do the same thing.

   Correspondence is solicited by the Grand Haven Improvement Board.



   The firm of Crosby & Co. spent Labor Day in launching their new boat at Grand haven.  E. G. Crosby, R. rice and family, and J. A. Hitchcock went over to see the flag take its first breeze.  The name inscribed on the tug is “E. G. Crosby,” and the launching was a success in every particular.  The usual impressive ceremonies were gone through with and the holiday was voted as well spent by the tugmen and those present.—Muskegon News.




   Vyn Bros. moved eight new pianos to Akeley College today.


   Ex-Senator Ferry has lost none of his power as an orator.—G. R. Herald .


   H. C. Akaley is vice president and also one of the directors of the well known Metropolitan Trust Co.


   The fishing tug “Deer” brought in 2995 lbs. of trout yesterday.  This is claimed to be the largest haul of trout this season.


   I can prove by Josh Lehman that I was not drunk at the time of the Saturday night row, as was stated by Mrs. Henry VandenBerg.  Deputy VandenBerg did not act in a manner becoming an officer or a gentleman at the time, as he raised his club at my mother, Mrs. John Vandongen.



   Sullivan is a “thing of the past” but no other man will hold the championship belt as long as he has.  Many are heard exulting over his defeat but many more are sorry to see him superseded.  The big ‘un, may have been a brute but he had the most admirers, and has yet.  There might be too many “I’s” in Corbett’s phraseology to make friends, though he be a gentleman.


   All the Grand Rapids papers speak in the highest terms of Grand Haven’s hospitality to the guests from the Valley City.  This from the G. R. Herald.

   That the good people of Grand Haven know how to receive and entertain a visiting delegation was abundantly proved by the hospitable manner in which they entertained the Valley City excursionists yesterday.


   The steam barge Francis Hinton is unloading stone at the pier today.


Sullivan Whipped.

   John L. Sullivan was knocked out by James Corbett in the 22nd round at the Olympics club rooms in New Orleans last night.  Sullivan was the aggressor in the first 15 rounds chasing Corbett around the ring.

   Corbett showed his generalship by occasionally giving the big one a hard one to the stomach.  After the 15th round Corbett got in his work and had Sully at his mercy.  In the 21st round he was knocked out by a good clear blow.

   Millions of money changed hands.


Fine Dogs.

  Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Swan, who are guests at the Cutler House, have with them a valuable Chesapeake Bay Retriever bitch and two of her whelps.  All are registered.  The bitch is named Gyspsie S.  Following is her pedigree.


                 Faxon      Ned B.

Gypsie S.                  Faxon


                 Daisy       Sis.

    The pups were whelped July 15, of this year, in a litter of 7.  Mr. Swan is a well known dog fancier and has a fine kennel at his former home in Woodville, Newaygo Co.  The dogs he has with him will be entered in the bench show of the West Michigan Fair.  Mr. Swan will make Grand Haven his home, and bring his kennel here also.




   There are still are still a number of resorters at the Park.


   Akeley College has been testing it’s heating apparatus for the past few days.


   A water spout was witnessed on Lake Michigan from Macatawa Park this week.


   It reminded one of saw mills to see the tug Stickney towing a big drive of logs down the river to Kilbourn’s today.


   Martin Walsh shipped the first carload of grain today that was ever shipped from Spring Lake, 457 bushels of rye from his own farm.


Big Log Raft.

   The tug Stickney brought down today from Crockery Creek, a raft of about 250,000 feet of logs for Silas Kilbourn.  The raft contained between 1,500 and 2,000 logs and was the largest seen since the sawmills suspended business.  The tug was obliged to down the river opposite the fish shanties and then go around and go up the south channel.  Some years ago it would have excited no comment to see a raft of logs, but now it was a strange sight to many.  Many a log indeed has been towed up the south channel when Boyden’s shingle mill, the largest in the world was in operation.


   Nothing has ever yet been discovered of the schooner Hume of Muskegon which has been missing since May,1891.  It is one of the strangest cases on record as not a stick of her was found.




   Every sport has its season with the small boy.  It is the putty blower now.


   The heavy rain this morning converted the streets into a running gutter for a short time.


   A spirited dispute over the respective merits of John L. Sullivan and James Corbett took place on the steps of the Cutler House last night.


   Capt. Mitchell of the river steamer Valley City says that the river is almost impassible this fall on account of sunken logs.


   Rev. J. J. VanZanten will fill a classical appointment in the 8th Reformed church of Grand Rapids tomorrow.  Student Winters of the Holland Theological Seminary will occupy his place.


   The Valley City Transportation Co., owners of the steamer Valley City, will purchase the river steamer Barrett and consolidate the two lines.


   There are two boat lines now between Grand Haven and Saugatuck and Douglas engaged in the fruit trade.  The A. B. Taylor and the steamer Favorite, which began making regular trips Thursday.

   Is prize fighting more brutal than a game of football?  Only two men are injured in a prize fight while at least fifteen come out of a football game badly bruised.

   According to the number of school children at our public schools Grand Haven has a population of nearly 6,000 now.  The estimate is none to high.

   The fire alarm last night was occasioned by fire breaking out in the sawdust again.  The alarm was given at a time when the streets were crowded and this added to the excitement of the occasion.

   The cross walk on Washington St. opposite Beaudry & Co.’s is impassible after every rain except to those who can swim.  Something should be done to keep it free from mud as it is a very important crossing.


   Michigan has eight mile tracks:  Sturgis, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids two, Saginaw, Lansing and Detroit.

   One of the most unique parades ever seen here was the one given by the Si Punkard Co., this noon.  Dressed as farmers, they marched down the street and had the crowd with them from the start.  Every body that saw the parade will be at the show tonight, that can raise the price of admission, so be early.

   The government steamer Hancock was at Muskegon Saturday with the mammoth scow Sampson which was loaded with timbers at Muskegon for the pier at White Lake.

   Capt. James Muir of the steamer Barrett and General Manager Van Asmus of the Valley City Transportation company have complained to the secretary of war regarding the pier obstructions which they claim the L. S. & M. S. railroad is building in Grand river at the swing bridge.


A Relic from Crown Point.

   A. G. VandenBerg of this city has in his possession a relic which he prizes very highly, in the shape of an old powder horn.  To a casual observer it would seem nothing more than a common horn but inscribed upon it are names and figures familiar in the old colonial period of this country.  The following inscription first catches the eye, “Elijah Hall.  His Horn Made At Crown Point.  November 21, 1760.”  Neatly cut upon the horn are the coat of Arms of England, and English ensign, various other ornamental work and last but not least the figure of a block house, which played such a conspicuous part those days protecting the colonialists from Indian raiders.  Also inscribed upon the horn are the initials I. W. and J. D. A., but the lettering is of a different style.  The horn was undoubtedly made by Elijah Hall as inscribed.  Crown Point was one of the most important places at that period and during the Revolution.

   The horn came into Mr. VandenBerg’s possession in the fall of either 1854 or 55.  The propellor Pocahontas went on the beach here and her cargo was thrown overboard.  Mr. VandenBerg was keeper of the lighthouse and with others assisted in saving the crew and cargo.  The horn among other things was thrown overboard and washed ashore.  These articles were collected together by Mr. Vandenberg, but not finding the horn’s owner has had it ever since.




   A large number of people from Fruitport and Spring Lake attended Si Plukard last night.


   The sewer opening at the corner of Washington and Second St., becomes clogged up at every rain and causes no end of trouble.


   Henry Veltje was arrested by Marshal Klaver yesterday afternoon for drunkenness.  He was confined in jail all night but released this morning.


   James Harvey, a young man of 15 or thereabouts, was arrested by Marshal Klaver for careless handling of an air rifle.  One of the shots struck A Stap’s horse.  He will have a hearing before Justice Angel this week.

   John DeSpelder was arrested yesterday afternoon by Marshal Klaver and Officer Brouwer for drunkenness.  John was awful full, so to speak for he was celebrating the advent of his birthday, which is tomorrow.  He was brought before Justice Angel this morning and sentenced to pay a fine of $10 or repose 15 days in jail.  John went to jail and vows that he will stay out his time rather than pay.  Later John paid $10 and was released.


   The Congregational church was crowded last evening to hear Samuel Freuder, once a Jewish Rabbi, speak of the habits and religion of the Jews.  Mr. Feuder was converted to the Christian faith some years ago and now lives in Chicago.  During the discourse he showed the garb worn by the rabbis and the proverbial ram’s horn.  He says that there are today about 10,000,000 Jews, most of whom lived in Russia.  There are two classes, the orthodox and the reformed Jews.  The orthodox Jews are still believers in the old Mosaic laws, while the Reformed Jews are not, hence the difference in their service.  The Reformed Jews of this country call Chicago their Jerusalem.  Mr. Freuder is connected with the Chicago mission in converting Jews to the Christian faith.  At the close a collection was taken up for his mission.


An Ocean Built Yacht in Port.

   The beautiful steam pleasure yacht Gryphon of New York arrived in port last night having on board no less distinguished personage than Allison B. Armour one of the wealthiest meat packers of Chicago.  Mr. Armour did not remain long but left on the Goodrich steamer, his business requiring him to be there today.

   The yacht was built in 1891 at the C. D. Miller yards, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and is finished with the richest of mahogany.  Her dimensions are length 82 feet, beam 10 ft.  her engine is a triple expansion 7 and 11 by 18x10.  The boiler is a Roberts make.  Her captain claimed a speed for her from twelve to eighteen miles an hour.  When fist built she was named the No 12.  Allison B. Armour obtained her and renamed her the Gryphon and in July took her up the Hudson River, thence by Erie Canal to Lake Erie and up the lakes to Chicago.  She is returning to Chicago now from a tour of Lake Superior.  Her commander is Capt. E. J. Buscony of Chicago with a crew of five men.

   She coaled this morning at the Goodrich dock and was an object of great interest.  She is a typical sea water craft from stern to prow and is valued at many thousand dollars.




   The sewer opening at the corner of 1st and Washington street was cleaned out by street commissioner Kraai and force today.


   James Harvey, the boy who was arrested for shooting an air gun on the street Monday afternoon, was brought before Justice Angel this morning and sentenced to pay the cost of the case or go to jail for five days.  This should be a warning and reminder to all boys that there is an ordinance against shooting on the streets or public thoroughfare.


   Word has been received that the great stallion Nelson will be at Grand Rapids on exhibition next week, and will trot to lower his record of 2:10.  So popular is this swift stallion, that different local associations have resigned from the national association for the sole purpose of opening their tracks to him.  He is in finer trim than ever, and if the track be in good condition he is expected to make 2:07 or better.


   None of the tugs went out today on account of the rough weather.


   Capt. Kirby’s little passenger steamer Sprite is being converted into a towing tug, and the passenger cabin taken off.


   The revenue cutter Andy Johnson will reach Chicago today.  She was in Milwaukee yesterday.  She will be used as a boarding vessel to guard against the introduction of cholera by Canadian vessels.


   A U. S. Life Saving station will be erected upon the grounds of the World’s Columbia Exposition at Chicago.  The station will be part of the government exhibit at the Fair.  It will take the place of the present Chicago Life Saving station, the crew of which will be moved to the new station. 


   It will be 19 years tomorrow that the steamer Ironsides went down off Grand Haven in a wild September gale.  The Ironsides left Milwaukee with a large cargo of grain and a big list of passengers.  A storm came up but the steamer kept on her course until about five miles from this harbor.  Instead of coming in she tried to ride out the storm just outside, but the wild lurches of the waves spread her timbers and she filled with water and sank, carrying 30 lives down to a watery grave.




   Insulators are being placed on the tops of the electric lamps.


   Two cribs, each 100 feet long, are to be added to the north and south harbor piers at Sheboygan.



   Burglars gained admittance to the Washington House last night and appropriated to themselves $40 and about $2 worth of cigars.  When Proprietor Young opened up this morning he found numerous signs of burglary.  The cigar boxes were thrown on the floor behind the show case in a promiscuous manner and a final investigation showed that the till had been emptied of its contents.

   The burglars first gained admittance by smashing a rear window pane in the cardroom which is just in the rear of the barroom.  This was done in order that the latch be moved and the window raised.  Getting into the card room the burglars by pushing against the door which leads to the barroom broke the latch.  Operations were then begun on the till which is just behind the bar.  By use of a knife and an ice splitter the lock was pried away and taken out and the amount taken as stated.  The cigar counter then took their attention and feeling satisfied they left by the way that they came.

   The burglary was undoubtedly committed by some one who knew the place, as is evidenced by the breaking of the window pane to remove the latch.  A match was found under the card room window which was used to facilitate the work as there is no light left burning in that room at night.  The gas is always left burning in the barroom.  No one in the house heard any noise.  The officers are now at work on the case.


Steamer Taylor in Danger.

   The steamer A. B. Taylor became fast on a bar while leaving Saugatuck yesterday morning for this port.  This led to the rumor on the streets last night that she was on the beach and breaking to pieces.  John Wiles who is clerk of the steamer arrived home today and reported that such was not the case.  The steamer in going out of Saugatuck went out of the right channel in consequence of the heavy gale moving the buoys.  She is not damaged in the least and several tugs were to have been sent to her today to pull her off.


   The Grand River Transportation Company was organized in the Board of Trade rooms Grand Rapids yesterday with the following stockholders:  Charles H. Leonard, L, C, Stowe, Huizenga & Sons, W. J. Stuart, A. B. Knowlson, S. B. Jonks, Adolf Leitelt, F. C. Miller, G. W. Perkins, Brown & Sheler, M. J. Clark, John Muir.  The company has a capital of $2,000 and it is proposed to purchase the steamer Barrett and run it in connection with the steamer Valley City.  The boats will make trips down the river on alternate days.




   Another big raft of logs was towed down the river to Kilbourn’s today.


   Emmett Platt of Muskegon, will take care of the Grand Haven Telephone Exchange in place of Harry Vint, who goes to Detroit.  Mr. Platt has been connected with the Muskegon Exchange.


   The Grand Rapids Board of Trade and city aldermen arrived on the Valley City at 2:30.  The more prominent of the visitors were given a ride on the steamer Sprite, (which had been put at their disposal by Capt. Kirby) to the lake.


    The remaining guests at the Park Hotel will leave for their homes Sunday.  No other watering place or resort has equaled the record this year of keeping open as long as the Highland Park Hotel.  Petoskey, Wequestonsing and many other well known places have been closed three weeks and more.  Here the summer girl will flourish until next week at least.  Much of this is due to the management of the Park Hotel who look to the wants of all their guests.  It is to be hoped that they will have charge next year, when a large number of the world’s fair people will surely visit us.


   Clarence Greggs or Ottawa, Ill., secretary of the Marseilles match Co., is a guest at the Park Hotel.  Mr. Greggs was very much surprised the other day upon picking up a match made by the Grand Haven Match Co., to learn that it is a plant outside the big Diamond Match Trust.  He supposed that the company of which he is secretary was the only match factory in the U. S. that does not belong to the trust.




   Thirty people died in New York yesterday of suspicious symptoms supposed to be cholera.


   Patrick Ryan who under an alias of Rev. Fr. Kelley victimized many people in this section of the State and who lived in the Park for a time this summer was sentenced to 18 months in Jackson from Grand Rapids yesterday.  He went around in the garb of a priest obtaining money for some false purpose.


   The Grand River Navigation problem would probably come nearer being solved if Grand Rapids would move down here.  We have plenty of room and plenty of water and can accommodate in nice locations every one of Grand Rapid’s factories.  Grand Rapids should think this over and save probably a million dollars, which will be necessary to make a nine foot channel, if the city is bonded. In ten years at the most, anyway, Grand Rapids will be but a near suburb of Grand Haven, while Muskegon will be our 24th ward.  Consequently, it would be better for Grand Rapid’s business men to have their factories and mills in the heart of a growing city than in a little county seat.  “Think it over.”


   When the steamer A. B. Taylor first struck the bar off Saugatuck Wednesday morning, Mrs. E. C. Dunbar (who was on the boat) one of the owners of the boat showed courage and coolness which is very seldom seen under such circumstances.  Mrs. Dunbar instead of becoming excited as most women would, took it all very sensibly and simply remarked “Well here we are and we might as well take it cool.”  Then she went to her knitting work as composed as ever.  The crew state that she helped in many ways during the emergency.  When the boat started out yesterday morning and again struck the bar, Capt. Beauvais lost his watch, it falling from his pocket into the water.  The watch was one he valued very highly being presented to him while captain of the Grand Haven Life Saving Crew for brave and meritorious conduct.  The captain wasted not a moment but quickly stripped, dove into the lake and recovered the watch.  Capt. Beauvais states that the injuries to the Taylor, are not of such nature, but that they can be repaired here.




   Akeley Institute opened today.


   A cross walk is being placed on the corner of Washington and Water St.


   New cases of cholera are being reported in New York every day.


   The great stallion Nelson will not be at the Grand Rapids fair as advertised and Grand Rapids people are howling at her owner.


   Local wheelsmen have measured out a mile speeding place on Washington Avenue and practice every evening.  One man claims a mile in 2:23¼.


   The big hunting party left for the Pottawattamie bayou early this morning.  The original party was increased by Mr. L. C. Addison a Fremont hunter of renown.  The party were loaded for anything and everything.  The wagon used to haul their paraphernalia to camp resembled a circus wagon from the amount of luggage it carried.  Gerrit Bottje was elected steward of the camp.


   Some of the citizens of Grand Haven township are a peculiar class of people.  There are three distinct communities in the township, Irishville, Germantown and Polacktown.  In a certain section some are very superstitious and regard everything, a little out of the natural line as an omen of some evil.  Some time ago it is said several pigs died in an unusual manner.  An old lady was taken for a witch who caused the trouble.  Many other similar things have happened which show that in some communities it would not take long to have old Salem horrors revived.  As it is the big majority of the citizens are a sensible class, and thus off set those who believe in superstitions of the dark ages.


   Work is rapidly going forward on Capt. Kirby’s new ice house.


   The temperance lecture given by Prof. G. W. E. Hills at the Congregational church last evening was highly enjoyed by the large audience present.


   A broken line wire at the corner of Griffin St. and Pennoyer Ave., in the 4th ward caused the electric lights to be out until 9 o’clock last night.


Martin Fisher Killed.

   Martin Fisher an old Grand Haven boy was killed at Plymouth, Mich., Saturday afternoon while boarding a train.  While stepping on he slipped and was run over and killed instantly.  Fisher had just received a telegram stating the serious illness of his wife in Grand Rapids and was on his way home to see her.  He was horribly mangled.  The funeral takes place tomorrow afternoon at Eastmanville.

   Mr. Fisher was born in this city from 30 to 34 years ago and lived here for many years.  His parents Mr. and Mrs. Len Fisher now live near Eastmanville.  He leaves a wife and one child.


   The search light used on the steamer Virginia is of French manufacture and is the only one of its power on a merchant ship in the world.


   Saugatuck as a harbor is a dismal failure.  The ship owners of that place will lay their fleets up this winter in other towns for fear they will not get out of Saugatuck next spring.




   Enos Stone will move his barn now on 6th St., to his livery barn on 3rd St.  It will be made an annex to the livery barn.


   Alderman Joseph Koeltz, is converting what was once the old armory building into a palatial residence.  The building has been moved to Mr. Koeltz’s property on Second St., and is in the same lot just south of his own residence.  Mr. Koeltz will spare no pains in making it a home to be desired.  It will contain eight commodious rooms, a hall and a bay window looking down Second St., to Washington thus giving a view of the busiest corners in the city.  Handsome folding doors will be placed in the hallway.  The masons are now at work on the brick foundation and the fine cellar, which will be placed under the entire house.  In the rear is a wide drive way.  Moreover the building will be connected with the water works and sewer and everything made as handy as possible.  Already Mr. Koeltz has been besieged with parties desiring it for a home but an occupant has not as yet been selected.


Accidentally Shot.

   Early this morning L. C. Addison who constituted one of the hunting party from here, now camping at Mill House bayou, received a painful wound from the accidental discharge of his shot gun.  It seems that he was standing on a stump watching for game, when a rabbit sprang up.  The gun which he had been holding barrel up, he started to raise to his shoulder.  The trigger caught in some way and the gun was discharged.  The shot made a deep hole in his left arm near the wrist, the coat sleeve was ripped open and one side of the rim of his hat completely carried away.  Luckily his arm was the only part of his body touched by the shot.  As quickly as possible his fellow hunters got a farmer in that vicinity named Robinson to bring him to Grand Haven.  He was taken to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. Addison and Dr. VanderVeen called to dress the arm. The wound though a very painful one, is not particularly dangerous.  The accident was very fortunate, in that the shot did not enter the head or body, though it did come very close.


   Capt. T. W. Kirby’s fish nets off Sheboygan, Wis., are being tampered with, and it is thought is being done by fishermen from the Wisconsin shore.  The tug Deer has found them in a torn and badly damaged condition several times.  The work is done by means of a grappling hook.  The police have been notified and will do all in their power to arrest and capture the depredators.


   Capt. H. Truman, of Manistee, has completed at Grand Haven the largest pier crib on the lakes.  It is 100 feet long, 88 deep, 85 wide, and contains 300,000 feet of timber, 1,150 cords of stone, twenty tons of drift and screw bolts, and has a fastening on the bottom seventy-seven piles cut off thirty-one feet below the surface of the water and twelve protection piles at the outer end.—G. R. Democrat.


Death of Martin Fisher.

   Full particulars in regard to the death of Martin Fisher were learned last evening by his friends here.  It seems that he had been working for the Western Union Telegraph Co., in placing wires, about 20 miles from Plymouth when he received a telegram announcing the serious illness of his wife in Grand Rapids.  A gravel train was the next train due and he flagged it in order to get to Plymouth and make connection for Grand Rapids as speedily as possible.  In trying to jump on the caboose he slipped and went under the wheels.  A friend who was with him called out and the train was stopped.  The train had passed over Fisher cutting off one leg near the hip and the other just below the ankle.  When picked up he said he suffered no pain.  No physician being near he was placed on the gravel train and a rapid run made to Plymouth.  During the trip he bore up bravely.  Plymouth reached, a physician was called, and it was a while he was attending him that Fisher fell back and died.  He had borne up with bravery and resolution to the very end.

   The funeral services were held this morning from his home in Grand Rapids after which his remains were taken to Eastmanville for burial.




   The doors for the lockers in the handsome new Co. F armory were put in place today.


   The following time table is now used by the Grand River Transportation Co.:

steamer Valley City leaves here at 7:30 on Monday Wednesday and Friday mornings of each week, arriving in Grand Rapids at 2 in the afternoon.  Steamer Barrett leaves here at the same hour in the morning on Tuesday’s, Thursday’s and Saturday’s.  A good pleasant trip at the right hour.


   Steps should be taken to have the air-gun nuisance abolished.  It is not only a nuisance but a danger.  Yesterday a lady living on Columbus street received a shot in the forehead from the careless handling of one of these guns in the hands of a boy who was wildly shooting at sparrows.  Other cases have been reported from time to time this summer.  The sparrow’s damage is only minor to what the small boy can do with his air-gun.




   A brilliant display of heat lightning was noticeable last night.


   A local wheelsman suggests that a bicycling club be organized here to cooperate in the political parades which will be held here this fall.  His plan was to obtain Chinese lanterns, helmet torches, etc., attach the lanterns to the various wheels and go through evolutions at the head of the march.  This would be a new feature to such parades.


   Henry Fisher killed a 28 inch rattle snake on his farm just outside the city limits yesterday.  The snake which has three rattles is now on exhibit in the East End Shoe Store display window.  Very few of these snakes have been killed in this section in some years and it is an object of much interest.  Mr. Fisher has killed three of them but did not notice the difference from common snakes until he had killed the one of yesterday.


   A lady applied at the county clerk’s office for a marriage license this week.  A very rare case.


   L. C. Addison who received a painful shot gun wound Tuesday is getting along nicely.  The fingers of his left hand will not be so free as they were before, because  the shot tore out some of the cords in his arm.


   Mesdames G. A. Bottje, J. Juistema, J. M. Cook and J. D. Duursema visited their husbands at camp yesterday.  They report having an elegant dinner which goes to show that men are not as bad cooks as most people think.  The meats consisted of squirrels and rabbits and of course were seasoned and cooked just right to tempt the appetite for the most fastidious.  While there, the men hauled in there night lines which they had set, and brought in a large catfish weighing fifteen pounds.  This is the first report we have had of their captures, so it would be unfair to say this is only a fish story.  We wait with a longing to here some of their stories when they return, but we give you warning now boys, that you must “give it to us straight.”  The callers in the afternoon were Mrs. Kooiman and daughter Lizzie, Mr. VanLopik, Mr. and Mrs. A. Bottje, Mrs. D. Duursema, Nettie Steuveling, Angie Ball, Miss Kieft and Wm. Fritz.


   Complaint is being made at St. Joseph that the appropriation for the removal of the bar outside the piers, instead is being used to deepen the river channel.  This will give the steamers engaged in winter traffic the same annoyance as last year.




   The rabbits all disappeared today in this section.  D. A. Lane and Mr. Wright went hunting.


    South Water St., presents a busy appearance these days.  A large force of men are at work on the water pipes to the city well.


    Muskegon should change its name to Hackleyville.  Mr. Hackley and his public gifts are about all there is of the city these days.—G. R. Press.


   Sherman H. Boyce was appointed one of the congressional committee from this county, at the congressional convention yesterday.


   The bicycle is catching up to the running horse and going far ahead of the trotter.  Johnson made a mile in 1:56 3-5 at Independence yesterday.


   Herman Nyland has a large and excellent photograph of the bicycle corps of the Second Regiment and the officers of that regiment.  Nyland, VanderZalm and Bryce have a conspicuous place in the group.


   Yesterday’s Detroit News contained a very excellent portrait and sketch of Curtis W. Gray, Grand Haven’s oldest citizen and pioneer.  It mentions him as having sailed with Fulton on the Hudson.


Dedication of Akeley Institute.

   The dedication of the new building of Akeley Institute occurred today at eleven o’clock and was __ largely attended by people of this city and abroad.  The service was presided over by Bishop Gillespie and assisted by Dr. and Mrs. Wilkinson, and were beautiful and impressive.

   Remarks were made by Bishop Gillespie, Dr. Fritz of Grand Rapids, Bancroft of Hastings, Rippey of Muskegon, Walton of this city, Dr. and Mrs. Wilkinson, Senator Farr, E. F. Sweet, Dr. Cutler and others.

   This new building stands as a grand ornament to Grand Haven, and a lasting monument to the energy and liberality of those who have contributed so largely, their time and money to its construction.


   In the picture of C. W. Gray in yesterday’s Detroit News, a cane can be seen on his lap.  This cane was once the property of the King of Spain.  It was obtained by Mr. Gray’s stepson in Colorado, while the King was traveling in this country, having been given to him by that dignitary.  It thus passed into Mr. Gray’s hands and he had it for many years, until the anarchist riot in Chicago, where he gave it to an old friend, police officer Jamison of Chicago, who received a bomb shell in the hip and had occasion to use the cane.


   A number of young fellows of this city secured situations on the stone steamer Francis Hinton and went out with her yesterday.


   The tug Chas. H. Auger was placed on blocks today for repairs to her rudder.  The Auger is owned by A & A. Fisher and is commanded by Adrian Fisher.




   D. Verwy is moving a residence from the “sawdust” to the corner of Jackson and 3d streets, for Mr. John Hallman.  It will be occupied by Mr. Hallman.


   Mrs. Amelia Borck was arrested this morning on a warrant sworn out by Mr. Geo. Hancock for trespus on his property.  Her hearing will be Wednesday before Justice Pagelson.  The Bork’s have given Mr. Hancock no end of trouble for some years.  The husband was arrested last summer for stealing from Mr. Hancock and received a heavy fine.


   The Business Men’s Hunting and Camping Club returned last evening from their camping expedition up the river.  Of rabbits they had several hundred pelts, but ducks they say were mighty scarce in the marshes.  While there at camp they had a photograph taken of the surroundings.  A table was spread outside and the hunters stood before their tents making a very fine picture.  No incidents outside of the ordinary happened while away except the accidental shooting of Mr. L. C. Addison.


   The members of our life saving service on the costs of our tempestuous lakes in the fall season now confront several months of dangerous work under untoward conditions.  Few ever give thought to the faithful men who patrol our lake coasts and keep watch, ever ready to brave storm and peril, if thereby they save a life.  Their lot is not so hard as once and is better paid, still it is not to be envied, save in the opportunity it affords of rendering the most important service to drowning men.—Michigan City News.


   O. H. Gromberg a resident of this city some years ago died yesterday at his home in Elgie, Ill., aged about 45 years.  Mr. Gromberg is well known here as former partner of John Bryce in the machine shop of Bryce & Gromberg.

[This article can be found in its entirety on microfilm at the Loutit Library]




   The leaves on the trees are already turning red.


   An unusually fine hand organ gave forth sweet music on the streets today.


   The VandenBerg broncho gave another exhibition of how western horses run away this afternoon, but without material damage.


   The Chicago Graphic of last week published a sketch and views of scenes and buildings around Grand Haven.


   John VandenBerg will have a fine residence built on the corner of Second and Howard streets, which will be a model of architecture and to cost $1500.


   The Second Reformed church congregation were pleased when Rev. VanZanten announced yesterday that he declined the call to Coopersville.  Rev. VanZanten has received four calls this year, one from Grandville, Forrest Grove, North Holland and Coopersville.



   The steam barge Berrien, lumber laden, in coming for shelter this morning ran into the schooner Anna F. Morse, which was lying at the pie.  Luckily the blow was a glancing one or the Morse would have been cut in two, as it was her side was stove in and her jib boom loosened.  The blow caused her to spring a leak and her cargo of sawdust was immediately shifted to the opposite side so as to give an opportunity to repair the damage.  The Berrien escaped with little damage to her headgear.  Her crew claimed her steering gear to be out of order and not working properly.  The Morse is from Muskegon with a load of sawdust from South Chicago.


On the Beach.

   On Sunday morning the little schooner Hattie LeRoy went on the beach near the north pier.  The life saving crew noticed they were in distress and had gone to their assistance.  She was unmanageable, her tiller not working properly and nothing could be done towards getting her inside the pier.  The people on board were taken to the life saving station and cared for.

   The Hattie LeRoy is from St. Joseph, but was built at Donald’s Station, a little inland town on the St. Joseph river.  Her owner Capt. Albert Kemp, wife and daughter comprised the crew.  They were bringing the little ship here to be measured.  When this is done she will got to Chicago, from thence down the Illinois canal, to the Mississippi river and thence to the Gulf of Mexico and Florida, their destination.  Their plans will not be interfered with by going on the beach as she is not badly damaged.  Her timbers have probably spread a little and will require some caulking, otherwise she is in as good shape as before.

   The boat is loaded down with provisions to last the long journey.  A chair 150 years old is also one of the articles on the boat.  It is an old heirloom of Capt. Kemp’s having passed down to him from his ancestors.

   The crew will undoubtedly have her off the beach and floating tomorrow.  She is now lying broadside on the beach.


   A man probably from 60 to 70 years of age was noticed staggering along the street yesterday.  He had a big bottle of alcohol of which he had imbibed too freely.  A crowd of boys followed him hooting and yelling at the pitch of their lungs.


   The state militia is preparing to organize a separate cycle company.  Co. C, Kalamazoo; Co, F, Grand Haven; Co.’s E. and B. of Grand Rapids, were the only companies to furnish men for the squad at camp, and on their shoulders was the task of proving to the Michigan brigade what the cyclers could do.  Even with this small showing it was such a center of attraction and so successful that a state squad will be organized.


   The Craig Ship building Co. of Toledo will launch Wednesday the Toledo, Ann Arbor & North Michigan Ry’s new steamer.  Its depth is eighteen feet, and it has a capacity of twenty-four loaded freight cars.  It is the finest steamer ever built to transport freight cars across Lake Michigan and will run between Frankfort and Waukesha.  It will be used to handle Lackawanna through freight, which now goes over the Ann Arbor road.  The trans-lake traffic in grain and flour has hitherto been carried on by the F. & P. M. road by means of its steel steamers.




   Grover Cleveland has formally accepted his nomination for the Presidency.


   Girls wanted for canning factory.  Apply of Geo. Hancock.


   Adella Baar nine month old child of Mrs. Mary Baar of Grand Haven township died yesterday morning.  Funeral tomorrow.


[Infant and small child mortalities have generally been omitted from this project. Such deaths were very common for this entire period.]


   When the new armory is completed it will rank among the finest in the state.  The lockers were all fitted with Yale locks all of which require a different key.


   Albert H. Fisher well known by the sailors and marine men of this city, is here today.  Mr. Fisher has but recently come from a whaling and sealing cruise to Alaska and can tell of many adventures in those northern waters.  He has a number of relatives in Spring Lake.  Tonight he leaves for Chicago on the steam barge Berrien.


   The audience at the Opera House last night though not a large one was a very appreciative one.  The Little Trixie Co. proved gifted in their special lines and carried the audience.  The plot of the play itself did not amount to much, but the intermixing songs, dances, clogs, and instrumental playing were fine.  The “darky” of the play was a good one and with the accordion has no superior.  Nearly all the songs were encored several times.


   The hooker Hattie LeRoy is still on the beach near the south pier.


   The Life Saving Crew were given plenty of practice in rowing against a heavy sea and wind today.  One of the fish yawls stood off from the harbor about a quarter of a mile, seemingly not liking to come in, in the heavy sea.  The crew stood by her until she was well inside the piers.




   The fire department horses never ran faster than this morning.


   A beautiful meteor was noticed to shoot across the sky last night.  As it shot from the south a bank of clouds in that direction was lit up as if by a flash of lightning, (only brighter) presenting a most beautiful appearance.  It was noticed by many people.


   Hancock’s canning factory is now running full blast.  Eighteen girls are employed and about 3000 cans put up each day.


   A genuine case of Asiatic Cholera is reported from Benton Harbor.  A man died there with every symptom of the disease.


   Jerry Boynton the railroad hustler it seems according to the Grand Rapids Herald visited the Baldwin Locomotive works at Philadelphia some time ago and negotiated for an engine.  The Baldwin people understood his “Grand River Railway” was built and being operated.  They were told that the road ran from Grand Rapids to Grand Haven.  The engine was built and shipped to Grand Rapids, but to the surprise of the Baldwin people when the engine reached there it was learned that there was no such railroad.  Things looked uncomfortable for some one for a while but the matter is now settled satisfactorily.


   More vessels arrive in Grand Haven in a week than in Muskegon in a month.




   A very large number from this city will attend the Holland Fair next week.


   A fine balloon ascension and parachute drop took place at the Berlin Fair yesterday.


   With ill concealed disgust the horsemen admit that the bicycle is beating them.


   Hon. Thomas Savidge’s great stallion [Geo. St. Claire] has entered in several big races in Indiana the past week.


   J. B. Johnston of the firm of Johnston Bros., boiler manufacturers, has removed to Chicago to take charge of the branch establishment in Chicago.


   The South Haven Sentinel tells of a marriage license recently issued in that place for Spencer Beach, aged 76, and Abbie Burch, aged 16, and demands laws to put a stop to such nonsense.


   Police news is very dull just now.  During last week not an arrest was made.  There are only two prisoners in the county jail, Norman Sweeney for horse stealing and a prisoner named Green in for larceny of a watch.  Sweeney makes a model prisoner not causing the least of trouble.


   The steamer Valley City has one of the finest toned whistles of any boat that comes in here.


   The odd looking schooner Indian Bill, Capt. Frank Behm, is in with a load of hard wood and lies near the South channel bridge.


  In view of the recent Western Reserve disaster, a Cleveland vessel man suggests that every craft sailing the lakes should have attached firmly to the bow of each yawl she carries a large torch that could be easily lit on a moment’s notice and could not be extinguished by wind or water.


   The little schooner Hattie LeRoy was released from the beach by the life saving crew yesterday.  She was found to be not badly damaged and was taken along side the pier, near the Station where the crew are now repairing what few injuries there are.  In a day or two she will be ready to resume her long journey to the Gulf.  Her crew are staying across the river in a little hut.


   Frankfort is enjoying a boom, made so by its being the terminus of the carferry across the lake.


    The jury in the case of Geo. D. Hancock against Mrs. Borck for trespass disagreed yesterday, three standing for acquittal and three for conviction.  The case attracted a great deal of attention and the court room was filled a portion of the time.  The expected came when Mrs. Borck raised a scene by telling Mr. Hancock what she thought of him.  The Judge even could not keep her, from having her say.  The case will probably now be allowed to Drop.




   A fine cement walk is being laid in front of Nat Robbins residence.


   Fred Pfaff & Co., have just placed a steel roof on the Herman Luhm building on Washington St.


   The trotting horse does not move forward nearly as steadily as the cyclist.  This can be easily seen by watching the phenomenon — sulkies the wheels of which cover the ground in a series of short rapid jumps.


   In the case, The People vs. Emile Bork and son George Bork, the respondents demanded separate trial which was granted by the court.  Thereupon Mrs. Borck was tried first and resulted in a disagreement by the jury, three being for conviction and three for acquittal.  Yesterday morning the case was called again at 9 o’clock in Justice Pagelson’s court.  Jas. J. Danhof appearing for the people, and D. F. Hunton for the respondents.  By agreement the case against Emile Borck was dropped and the respondent Georgie Bork plead guilty, as charged, being a juvenile offender his case was turned over to the County Agent for final disposition.


Capt. John F. Joyce is Dead.

   A telegram was received here today stating that Capt. John F. Joyce had died in Chicago at two o’clock this morning.  Mr. Joyce had been sick for the past year or more with rheumatism.  Six weeks ago he went to Chicago with his wife to receive treatment at one of the hospitals.  He had gradually grew worse and has been very low for several days.

   Mr. Joyce was about 60 years of age, was a native of Ireland, but had lived in this city for the past 22 years and in this country for 50 years.  His occupation was that of a sailor up to a few years ago, when he was appointed assistant light house keeper, which position he held until compelled by failing health to resign.

   Mr. Joyce leaves a wife and six sons, Thomas, who is clerk on the steamer Menominee; John, who is a traveling man for a Chicago wholesale house; will, bookkeeper for Marshall, Field & Co.; James, porter on the steamer Milwaukee; Martin, on the steamer Virginia, and Andrew the youngest, who is attending school in this city.

   Capt. Joyce had sailed into Grand Haven for 30 or more years, and had been mate and captain of several vessels.  In the year 1872 when the steamer Ironsides went down off Grand Haven, Capt. Joyce commanded the propellor Lake Breeze.  Always ready to aid, he was the only man in port to venture out to help her ill-fated crew and passengers.  Just as she got outside her machinery broke down and she was compelled to turn back.  Capt. Joyce had also been mate on the steamer Amazon and later the Menominee.

   The many friends of the estimable family in this city, unite in sympathy with them and bereavement.  Capt. Joyce, dies, mourned by all who knew him or came in contact with him in life.

   A later telegram states that the funeral will take place Monday in Chicago.


World’s Fair Notes.

[This report of the World’s Fair can be seen in its entirety on microfilm at the Loutit Library]