The Evening Tribune November, 1891

Local News

Grand River Navigation The Spring Lake Suicide.
Politics. Ladies Literary Society.
The Ghost. Wreck of the Stevenson.
Electric Matters. Sad Death of Dan Garlick.
Match Factory. Supernatural vs. Experience.
Stephen L. Lowing. Conversation with an Old Gentleman.


Grand River Navigation.


   Col. William Ludlow, United States engineer in charge of Michigan rivers and harbors, will be in the city next Saturday to meet the river committee of the local board of trade.  If the steamer Barrett, which is hard aground, can be gotten off, the entire party, accompanied by the congressman elect, will make a tour of inspection to Grand Haven.—Grand Rapids Leader.


   Senator Stockbridge, Col. Ludlow, Congressman elect Belknap, members of the special river committee of the Board of Trade, Grand Rapids, and possibly Senator McMillan will make a tour of Grand river, from Grand Rapids to this city, Saturday.


   The executive committee of the Grand Rapids Board of Trade, Congressman Belknap, Senator F. B. Stockbridge, and Hon. J. C. Burrows and representatives of the press will come down Grand river on an investigating tour tomorrow reaching this city, it is understood, sometime in the afternoon.


   The Morning Press in its account of the excursion down Grand river Saturday pays the Cutler House and its management the following deservedly pretty little compliment:  “The visitors were conducted to the Cutler House, where further tempting edibles were provided.  All expressed their admiration of the beautiful new hotel, its fine furnishings and perfect management.”

Down the “Grand.”

   The party that came down Grand river from Grand Rapids Saturday was in charge of Col. George G. Briggs, president of the board of trade, and Capt. H. D. C. VanAsmus, secretary of the board, and was composed as follows:  United States Senator F. B. Stockbridge, Col. Ludlow, United States engineer; Congressman Belknap, Charles R. Sligh, vice-president of the board of trade and chairman of the committee on river improvements; ex-Lieut. Governor M. S. Crosby, G. W. Perkins of the Grand Rapids School Furniture company and director of the board of trade, Gen. I. C. Smith, Thomas Hefferan, president of the People’s Savings bank; C. H. Leonard, chairman of the special committee on a river line of steamboats, and John S. Lawrence, late Democratic candidate for congress.  The newspapers were represented by Swansberg of the Telegram Herald, and Rice of the Democrat, Milmine of the Eagle and Waters of the Morning Press.

   The talk by different persons as the steamer plowed its way to this city all related to the river and the project connected with it.  At 2 o’clock the party was seated to a banquet provided by caterer Warren Swetland, and in all respects it sustained its high reputation for artistic table decorations and delicious viands tastefully served.  Senator Stockbridge expressed the opinion that if the new line of steamers served such dinners it would be very popular for passengers.

   The health of Senator Stockbridge was proposed by General Smith in response to which the senator expressed his purpose to do all he can to secure a sufficient appropriation for the river improvement.

   Congressman Belknap said he was going to Washington to give his whole time in heavy work for the river improvement appropriation and for appropriations greatly needed for the harbors at Grand Haven, Holland and Saugatuck.

   The health of Mr. Lawrence was proposed and in response he earnestly pledged himself to do everything in his power to aid Captain Belknap in securing the appropriations needed for the district.

   Mr. Sligh submitted a letter from Senator McMillan in which he expressed the fear that he would be unable to accept an invitation to join the party, but saying further that he was familiar with the river from Grand Rapids to the lake and that it was not necessary he should go over it now.  He closed his letter by saying:  “In any event I am anxious to co-operate with your people in this matter and do so earnestly when I reach Washington.”

   Capt. Kirby placed his beautiful steam yacht “Joe” at the services of the Grand Haven reception committee and they were carried up the river to Battle Point, where it was expected the steamer Barrett would be met, but the Grand Rapids party did not make the time expected and the “Joe” and her passengers returned at dark to this city.

   In its account of the trip the Morning Press says:  “When Grand Haven was reached the party was met by many leading citizens including ex-Senator Ferry, G. W. A. Smith, S, H, Boyce, A. J. Emlaw, the venerable A. S. Kedzie of the Herald, Mayor Cutler, Capt. T. W. Kirby and Collector of the Port McBride.”

   “The shortness of the stay in that city was regretted by the visitors.  Many were particularly interested in hearing the views of Captain Kirby, who has given a great deal of close study to the subject of deepening Grand river, and at one time proposed to deepen the channel to fourteen feet to Grand Rapids for $750,000, and would prove his work by building a large lake steamer here drawing fourteen feet, to be floated out of here with her cargo to the lake.”


Ex-Mayor Kirby’s Liberality.

   To meet a delegation of the board of trade and other notable citizens of the Valley City, including Senator Stockbridge, congressman Belknap and U. S. Engineer Col. Ludlow, making, on the steamer Barrett on Saturday last, a trip of inspection of Grand river with the view of such government improvement as will make deep navigation to Grand Rapids, ex-Mayor Kirby tendered his fine and fast steamer “Joe” for the occasion.  The common council and many enterprising citizens of Grand Haven boarded the “Joe” at 2 o’clock Saturday p. m. and with colors flying steamed to Battle Point and awaited the arrival of the Barrett.  On returning an impromptu meeting was held in the cabin of the ”Joe.”  Ex-Senator Ferry was called to the chair.  A committee was appointed composed of A. J. Emlaw, W. F. Kelly and S. H. Boyce to await upon ex-Mayor Kirby at the wheel and pay him for his expenses of the trip.  He responded in person that he had no charges, the trip was free to all,

   Then on motion, the chairman, A. S. Kedzie and G. W. A. Smith were appointed to report a resolution of thanks and the following was submitted and unanimously agreed to.

   RESOLVED, by citizens present, who represent the City of Grand Haven on this occasion, that in providing the steamer “Joe” for this and a former like trip free of any charge, ex-Mayor Kirby has repeated his recognized liberality and by the generous tender of his staunch steamer without expense to the citizens or city, has exhibited a broad enterprising spirit and zeal, and large appreciation of the importance to the Grand river valley of the project of constructing deep navigation between the cities of Grand Haven and Grand Rapids worthy of the man and project.

   We return him our hearty thanks for his generosity, and take occasion to thus express our fullest appreciation of his graceful act, which has contributed so much to the the commercial object and to our comfort and pleasure.

   Mr. C. H. Leonard, of Grand Rapids, who accompanied the excursion down Grand river to this city Saturday is full of the plans of his committee for securing a line of light draught steamers for the Grand Rapids trade.  He expects to have no difficulty in securing $50,000 in stock subscriptions for the building of two steamers, such as are needed for the river trade next season.


   Col. Ludlow will report favorably for and appropriation for dredging Grand river.


   Editor VanScheiven and the Holland City News had a catnip fit last week occasioned by the excursion down Grand River from Grand Rapids to this city in the interests of the projected deepening of Grand river.  The time was, and only about three years ago, when Holland citizens could not do enough for similar delegations in the way of entertainments and carriage drives up and down between their village and Grand Rapids and all because of an awakening of a little interest in a canal scheme between the two cities, a project about one quarter as feasible the one in which Grand Rapids and Grand Haven are now interested.  Consistency, Mr. News man, is a jewel.





Elected by a Safe Plurality.  Democrats concede over
900 Plurality.  Republicans claim 1200 to 1500.

   Chas. E. Belkamp is the man who will go to Congress from this District.  His election is conceded by Democrats by a plurality of over 900, while Republicans claim from 1200 to 1500.  The returns from outlaying districts are not all in, but as far as heard from, indicate that the different counties in the District give Belkamp pluralities about as follows:  Kent 400; Ionia 300; Ottawa between 200 and 300; Allegan 400.  Belkamp’s plurality in Grand Rapids is 161.
   Mr. Haggerty, Republican candidate for Police Judge in Grand Rapids received a plurality over the Democratic nominee, Mr. Carroll, of 796.
   The result of the vote in Ottawa county is about as follows:  Lawrence, Democrat, 1787; Belkamp, Republican, 1944; Hutchins, Peoples, 805; Shultes, Prohibition, 118.


The Ghost.


Ghosts Ghouls and Goblins.
(A Solemncholy Warning.)

This be the time at nightly hours
   When ghostly visions show their powers;
Unscantly up railway tracks they roam,
   Watching for good folks away from home.
Ye earthly mortals, now beware,
   Unearthly spirits pervade the air;
Hob goblins, ghouls, immortal things,
   In divers place their footstep rings.
Hasten the electric lights around
   That greater safety may be found,
Each …… wind, its seeming wail.
   May be but echo of ghostly trail,
As forth it stocks with all its clun,
   (Twice armed now the cross-eyed man)
Gaze it fiercely in the eye,
   Saying by “St. Patrick flee or die.”
Thus by this token you will be
   Free from ghostly blood, if it should flee;
But if it lingers, as if for pelf,
   By this same token flee yourself,
And rouse the town with dreadful shriek
   That officers and night-watchmen may safety seek.
So beware, be watchful, ghosts are round,
   Where e’er there’s shadows they abound,
And in ghoulish glee gnash their bony chops,
   Watchmen and sheriffs, carry “pops,”
Politicians, also, should go armed
   (Or else save the mark they may be harmed)
And thus protected why they mote
   Importune his ghostship for a vote—
People’s party, Prohibitionist, please take note.
   Grand Havenites, be watchful pray
When goblins come just say them “nay;”
   We all count “one” on census day,
We cannot spare one soul away;
Take care, be watchful, do beware.


   A sign with the words “danger inside, etc.,” hung on the City Water Works door last night.  The ghost has probably changed his route to that part of town.

   Are our newspaper brethren getting scared?  Brother Kedzie was seen about town last evening accompanied by a dog and a lantern, while the Express man importunes:  “Is it not about time that our officers should put a stop to this deviltry,” referring to the “ghost.”


   The latest person to brave a tussle with the ghost is John Cook, of C. N. Addison & Co.  As we understand it, Mr. Ghost “showed up” at the Wm. Mieras party last night and immediately on its appearance Mr. Cook, with his usual bravado, pitched into his ghostship and by a superhuman effort hastily threw the ghost down upon himself like a thousand brick.  The ghost seemed satisfied with this exhibition of his wrestling skill and quietly vanished into thin air, while Mr. Cook got up, rubbing his head midst plaudits and joined in the hymn “See the conquering hero comes,” J. Ball, of Ball & Co., was “in it.”  John and Jurien, respectively, are the heroes of west and east today.


“Macbeth, Beware Macduff!”

   “Hence, horrible shadow!
   Unreal mockery, hence!”—Macbeth. 
   Verily our city is undergoing a series of ghosts and ghostly apparitions compared to which Shakespearean tragedy and the Macbeths, Macduffs, etc., are not in it.
   Last night again the “ghost” so called, was seen in different parts of the city.
   Last evening while Henry VandenBerg, of Fulton street, was at a neighbor’s, the “ghost” appeared to his wife as she was going out the back door and she was so terribly frightened that some dish water she was carrying was dropped and she fell over in a faint and was semi-unconscious condition when her husband, who was immediately sent for, returned.  Well it is about time this nuisance was disposed of, that’s a fact.
   It is now pretty well understood that this “ghost” has been carrying on his nefarious work for some three months.  About this time ago, a young man well known in this city and particularly in the Third ward, who, for reasons of modesty never mentioned the fact before, says that he was out walking with his enamorata on Washington avenue when this particularly ghostly personage (who, it is pretty well understood is a very large man, whosever else he is) puts in its appearance and picking the young fellow up carried him over into the Second ward, some two blocks and there dropping him, disappeared.  The youthful swain returning found his girl awaiting him.  Lat Sunday evening this young man was out again with his girl (a different one, though, by the way) when they were again approached by the ghost, but by some exceedingly lively strategic movements escaped.


   Why is not our police force strong enough, or wise enough, to capture this contemptible fool or idiot who is going about our streets in the guise or pretense of being a “ghost?”  Though this is one of the greatest humbugs of the age, and though in its self utterly unworthy the notice of descent people, yet there are weak minded and silly persons in the community or persons of highly excitable nervous temperaments who are really and seriously frightened and seriously injured by this ridiculous montebank who stands about in white, with no higher object than to create a sensation and a scare.
   If I met him he will be pretty sure to carry away from the interview a dose of cold lead from a Smith & Wesson.  This will show whether things called “ghosts” have flesh and blood or not.  If there is not some of the latter left on the side walk, it will not be my fault.

Juvenis Jr.


   A great deal of unnecessary complaint is being made as to the officers not catching the so-called ghost!  Most of the stories of having seen the ghost have proved to have been only scares over merely nothing.  Certain parties reported the ghost around their premises and upon investigation by the marshal he found it to be a small cat walking around on the dry leaves.


   Since the ghost was seen in C. E. Conger’s wagon shed that gentleman does not appear in his usual haunts after dark.  Charley explains it by claiming he is “laying for that ghost.”


Electric Matters.


   The tug Keiser Wilhelm brought a scow load of brick to the electrical plant this morning.


   The Electric Light Co. finished placing the wires for the street arc lights today.

   The incandescent dynamo for the electric light plant has arrived.  Vyn Bros. are transferring it.

   The brick and stone foundation that is being constructed in the electric plant company’s building for the Walker pump is nearly finished.


   A floor is being laid in the engine room of the Electric Light Plant.

   The other dynamo for the electric plant is expected today.  After its arrival, but three or four days will elapse before the lights will be turned on.


   The inside work of the electric light company’s building is receiving a coat of paint today.


   The boiler room of the electric plant received a covering of iron, Saturday, making it fire-proof.

   The cast iron connections for the water works pumps have arrived.  They are to be used to connect the pumps with the well, from the electrical plant.


   The arc dynamo for the electric plant arrived yesterday and a car load of oil today.


   Wednesday next is the date set when the electric lights will be turned on.

   Boys in some parts of the city have done some damage throwing stones at the electric funnel shaped hangers.  Unless stopped, they will probably get into trouble.


   The Challenge Corn Planters Co. will have their factories lighted by some 200 incandescent electric lights.

   The Furniture Company will have their factory electric lighted, and will then, we understand, run evenings until 9 o’clock.


   The electric light switch board the incandescent lights has been placed in position and is a very neat affair.

   The Grand Haven Electric Light & Power Co. have commenced laying pipes to connect their plant with the city water mains.


   The Walker pump which was recently sent to the machine shops at Fenton for repairs is expected to arrive home today.


   The connection pipe of the Walker pump was removed from the water works to the electric light plant this afternoon.


   The Walker pump arrived last Friday and was put on its foundation in the electric light building Saturday.  It is being connected with the city mains today.  The pump has been repaired at the shop in Fenton, some new parts added, making it altogether as good as new.


   The electric lights did not light last night as announced by our evening contemporary.  They may be “turned on” tonight.

   The large Corliss engine in the electric plant was started last night and ran all evening.  It will be run today, so we can expect light tonight.


   The EVENING TRIBUNE Thanksgiving toast:  “Grand Haven, best lighted and least benighted of all the lake shore towns.”  We’ll “rise to remark” about it later.

   The Electric Light company is putting in two large arc lights in the opera house for the Company F dance and for the play, “The Burglar,” Friday night.

   At the Co. F ball tomorrow night the ball will be lighted with electricity for the occasion.  It promises to be one of the best balls ever given by Co. F.  Lieuts. Pelegrom and Ed Andre will officiate as floor managers, and Rosbach, Palmer, Hamilton and J. Fisher as reception committee.

Turned On.

   Miss Bessie Koeltz, daughter of ex-Ald. Jos. Koeltz, turned on the current at the Grand Haven Electric Light and Power Co.’s building last evening, and the city was lighted with electricity for the first time.   Though only lighted a short time a favorable impression was made, and considering that it was the first attempt and that the machinery was new it may well be counted a success.  The different factories signified their approbation by a long series of whistles, chimed in by the ringing of bells.

   One reason for thanksgiving, is that Grand Haven has taken her place among the other well-lighted lake shore towns of her own avoirdupoiso.


   In consequence of a current breaking our new electric lights were not lit last evening.


   C. N. Addison & Co., Boer & Bolt, and Lefebre & Meyer will put in electric lights next week.


   The Cutler House is now lighted with electricity.

   The electric light at Sixth and Washington streets has not been lit since the lights were turned on, and the residents in that vicinity are demur.


Match Factory.


  The stockholders of the match factory at their meeting last evening decided to commence the erection of a factory at once.  It will be located on the four lots recently bought of Jacob Baar near the planning mill.


Match Factory Building.

   The hauling of brick, and other work preliminary to the erection of the Globe Match Company’s building has begun.  Lots 1, 2 and 3, block 5, Monroe & Harris addition; on Sixth street back of Lewis & Bryce’s planning mill have been secured for the site.  The main building will be 30x40, two stories high and built of brick, cement floor and iron roof.  There will be three smaller buildings, for office, ware-room, etc., also of brick with iron roof, and with the exception of the office, cement floor.
   The work of building will begin at once and will be finished as soon as possible with all the help procurable.
   The officers of the organization are as follows:  President, H. W. Buswell; Vice president, S. H. Boyce, Sec’y and Treasurer, Geo. D. Turner.

   The tug Keiser Wilhelm brought a scow load of brick from Bertachy’s brick yard, Fruitport, this morning destined for the new match factory.


   Brick laying on the match factory has begun.


   There’ll be money in the match factory, when folks get to scratching it out.


Stephen L. Lowing.


   Capt. Stephen L. Lowing died at his residence in Allendale yesterday morning, Nov. 4th, aged about 74 years.  Stephen L. Lowing has been a notable figure in Ottawa county for more than fifty years.  He was born in Western New York and came into what is now Georgetown about 1838, and resided in the county until his death.  He was sheriff for four years back in the forties, supervisor of Georgetown for many years and prosecuting attorney from 1869 to 1875.  One of the first men in Ottawa county to respond to the call of his country in the war of the rebellion, he was commissioned first lieutenant of Co. “I” of the old Third Infantry, May 13, 1861, was promoted to captain in October following and was badly wounded in the hip at Fair Oaks, May 31, 1862.  From this wound he suffered much the rest of his life and it was probably the cause of his death.
   Captain Lowing was the owner and of the largest and most valuable landed estate in Ottawa county.
   The career of Captain Lowing as a lawyer was most remarkable.  His early education was limited to a single term in a log school house in Western new York, and his manhood to the age of about fifty was spent in the labor of farmer and lumberman in the woods of this county.
   At the age of fifty he was admitted to the bar, the next year was elected prosecuting attorney and removed to Grand Haven.  In his position as prosecuting attorney he was the terror of evil doers, and during the fifteen years of his residence in Grand Haven, the period in which by vast litigation the land titles of this county were settled, he was on one side or the other of every important suit in the county.
   He procured the largest law library in the county and by his midnight study, clear legal mind, powerful, although sometimes quaint eloquence, grit and combative qualities, he was facile princes of the Ottawa bar.
   That a man with no school education, spending his mature years to an age when most men are getting ready to retire, as a woodsman, should at the age of fifty study his books like a college bred man and easily take front rank in a learned profession is most remarkable.
   Growing deafness compelled Mr. Lowing’s retirement from the law in 1883, when he removed to Allendale where he died, and spent the rest of his life in improving his thousand acre farm on the Great Pigeon Creek marsh in Blenden and Olive.
   It was often remarked during Mr. Lowing’s career as a lawyer that he resembled the great Lincoln in many ways:  in build and personal appearance, in his commanding mind with lack of early education, in the lightning of his countenance and his ungraceful person becoming most graceful with the fervor of eloquence, and in the most tender of hearts.
   No poor client who told a story of wrong to Steven L. Lowing ever lacked a powerful advocate to the law’s end because he lacked money to pay his lawyer or his costs.  Many a poor man or woman in Ottawa county will think of Stephen L. Lowing with tears when his death is known.
   Mr. Lowing’s funeral will leave his residence in Allendale at 10 o’clock a. m. tomorrow (Friday, 7th.)  Services will be at Bosworth school house in Georgetown and he will be buried near his old home in Georgetown.  His pall-bearers will be his associates of the bar.


The Spring Lake Suicide.


   The body found recently in the waters of Spring Lake was identified at the inquest as that of a man who had been about town several days, about a week previous.  He stated that he hailed from Milwaukee, and had been stopping at Grand Haven for some days.  He was evidently very tired of life as the following letter was found upon his person, fairly written in German upon an ordinary sheet of letter paper, and wrapped in a piece of Milwaukee German newspaper.


   Tired of life.  For 20 years I have born my problems without disclosing my plight to any one except my sainted wife, and as she has been dead for some time, and I have no one now to whom I can carry my trials.  It is better for me that I should sacrifice myself.  Peter Klien from District Starkenburg.  And I am given to drink; do not want to live longer.  The world is a swindler’s roost; I would had I not been in it; I would I had never been born; I would not have lost courage.  I have experienced many bitter hours in this veil of tears

Ladies’ Literary Society.


Nov. 7, 1891, 2 p.m.
   About thirty of the ladies of Grand Haven met at the parlor of the Unitarian church for the purpose of organizing a society devoted to the study of history, science, literature, art and music.
   Mrs. T. A. Parish, opened the meeting by a few introductory remarks stating the object of calling the ladies together, and the society then proceeded to the business of the day.  Mrs. G. A. Farr was appointed chairman for the afternoon and Miss Frances Sheldon secretary.  A committee of three, Mrs. A. S. Kedzie, Mrs. W. C. Sheldon, and Miss Louise Stickney, was appointed for the purpose of choosing permanent officers subject to the approval of the ladies.  In the absence of the committee, and article headed “Pioneer Women” was read by Mrs. Geo. Angel, after which the report of the committee was given, and the following permanent officers permanently elected:—
            President—Mrs. E. P. Cummings.
            Recording Secretary—Mrs. J. N. Reynolds.
            Corresponding Secretary—Miss Louise Stickney.
            Treasure—Mrs. S. H. Boyce.
   It was decided that the society should hold its meetings Saturday afternoons from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. at the Unitarian church.
   It was moved, supported and carried that a committee of three be appointed by the chairman to draft a constitution and by-laws.  Accordingly, Miss Lora Smith, Mrs. Jno. Macfie and Mrs. A. S. Kedzie were appointed for the purpose.
   In order that the executive committee might know the pleasure of the ladies in regard to the work to be pursued, various suggestions were made.  It was considered advisable that, in view of the coming World’s Columbian exposition, the subject of Spanish History be given special attention.  As regards Literature, several were in favor of giving a special study to the works of George Elliott and the subject of English Literature in general.
   On motion of one of the ladies, a committee of three, Miss Lora Smith, Mrs. G. W. McBride, and Mrs. N. Robbins Jr., was appointed by the chairman for the purpose of preparing a program for the ensuing Saturday, before it was possible for the permanent committee to be in working order.
   The officers and committee appointed to draft the constitution were requested to remain after the meeting and the society adjourned for one week.

Secretary Pro Tem.

   We learn that a similar society in Grand Rapids numbers 400 members and is restricted to that number, while over 100 others are waiting for room in its charming circle.  Every lady in this city is to be congratulated upon gaining membership in this society and in entering upon the progress in study thus opened.


Wreck of the Stevenson.


   The schooner Ellen Stevenson, with a crew of three, Capt. Nicholson, Emet Brovring and Carl Tapo, bound homeward from St. Joe to Ludington, struck head on to the pier at 12 o’clock last night while trying to make this harbor and was dismasted and totally disabled.  The life saving crew were at once to the rescue and did as fine a piece of work as ever a life saving did.  Lines were thrown over her first, but they parted and the crew went to her.  The sea was a terrible one but they reached the wreckers in safety but came along side several times before the men could be gotten off, and once their boat struck with such force as to split her bow, and before the station was reached was half full of water.  The men were in the water an hour and a half and got severely chilled, but at the station were worked over, thoroughly warmed and cared for and warmly clad, and today are as well as ever.
   Capt. Stevenson has been in the life saving service and during his service and sailing career has seen many wrecks, but says he never before saw work equal in heroism to that done by the Grand Haven crew last night.
   The Stevenson is owned by Swanson & Nicholson of Ludington and is valued at $1000, not insured.  Just before leaving her the crew threw out the anchor and she is now anchored 50 feet from the north pier and about 100 feet from shore.  Unless the wind goes down she will probably go to pieces before night.


   The wrecked schooner Stevenson stood the beating of the surf all day yesterday without damage, other than she sustained when going on the beach.  She was pulled of today by the crew assisted by the members of the life saving crew.


   The Grand Rapids Democrat editorially pays our brave life saving crew the following compliment:  “It is very probable that the hardy members of the Grand Haven life saving crew do not see anything especially heroic in their rescue of the crew of a stranded schooner, Thursday, but the man who faces death to do a gallant act in the line of duty and with no expectation of the plaudits of the multitude, is the most pronounced type of hero, nevertheless.”


Sad Death of Dan Garlick.


   The sad death of Dan Garlick at Benton Harbor is made still more deplorable by the publication of statements concerning the circumstances that are without foundation.  In this city Mr. Garlick has always borne a good reputation and the statement made by Benton Harbor papers that he was intoxicated and blew out the gas has been proven absolutely false.
   Dr. Walkley who was called to Benton Harbor to treat Mr. Garlick returned yesterday.  While there he carefully investigated the matter and says that there is not the slightest foundation for the rumor, and the night clerk testified at the inquest that Mr. Garlick was not drunk, and every appearance of a perfectly sober man.
   The unfounded statement made by the Daily Palladium cannot be to severely censured.  A plausible solution of the matter is that the gas was turned off, but that from defect in the burner or other reason the gas still escaped, and that the statement made was to shield the Eastly House from blame.
   During the night the guests were annoyed by groaning and heavy breathing from Mr. Garlick’s room and one of them went down and told the clerk, who dismissed the matter with the remark that it was probably some one with a “jag on” or words to that effect, which explains one reason of the report of intoxication being rumored.


Supernatural vs. Experience.


   There now comes us a story, which hath the lineament of truth, concerning the strange experiences of one our respected townsman, who loveth his morning nap, and a good patron of the EVENING TRIBUNE, by the way, that is of a certainty ‘too good to keep.”  It seemeth that our good friend of the Scottish heath do believe somewhat in the supernatural, a belief which is not obtained by the erudition gained by rising at unseemly hours to study the sciences that light up the dark by ways of superstition.  Awakened recently from a refreshing morning nap by a mysterious noise, he tumbled out of bed and proceeded to investigate, and armed with a wieldy cudgel issued from his fortress.  Let us not say that he expected to be met by a white robed vision, but as an apology for the frailty and foibles of the human mind in this regard, let us rather say that he expected to meet the burglar.  The first named experience, however, greeted him, and he was about to dispatch the white mantled visitor when a second look revealed the reproachful look of a faithful spouse employed in building the kitchen fire.  Then he sought again his chamber “a sadder and wiser man,”  but whether or not to finish his righteous sleep has not been revealed.


   A Grand Haven man was awakened early the other morning by a mysterious noise and decided that there were burglars in the house he grasped a bulky club and tiptoed his way softly downstairs.  In the uncertain glimmers of the coming day he saw a stooping form in the kitchen and had just raised his club to strike when he discovered that it was his faithful wife who was building the breakfast fire.—Democrat.


Conversation with an Old Gentleman.


   In conveying the other day with an old gentleman on the subject of speed in traveling, I spoke of the marvelous rapidity of ocean steamers now-a-days, and the speed accomplished on the New York central railroad in running from New York to Buffalo 436½ miles in 439¾ minutes, a rate, allowing for stops, of 61.44 miles per hour.  “Well,” said he “that is wonderful,” only think that 45 years ago in 1846 I was 24 hours in going by that same Central road from Buffalo to Albany!  And worse than that he continued, “in 1836 I was a student in Lane Seminary, Cincinnati.  Prof. Stowe, of the Seminary, was in Europe, on his return—there were no ocean steamers in those days—he was nearly ninety (90) days from London to New York, 30 days of which time was spent in boating out of the English channel.  So much for speed in those days.

   The first sprinkle of snow in the autumn of 1891, in Grand Haven, occurred on Sunday last.  It all disappeared as fast as it fell.  This same remarkable gentleman, who is mentioned in the last paragraph above, tells me that he traveled on foot treading through the newly fallen snow of several inches depth on the 2nd day of October in 1836, from the hotel where he had stayed over night in Cincinnati, to Walnut Hill, a distance of about two miles.