Sand Hill City

Article Compilations

Masonic Lodge

Keyword:  mason

From:  “Grand Haven – Day by Day” project

 By Bob Beaton     March 10, 2009




   The Hon. Geo. E. Hubbard, late of this city, died suddenly at Phoenix, Arizona, Saturday, July 25. He left this city for the Pacific coast about a month ago, hoping there to recover his health, which was poor, the result of a severe attack of la grippe.

   Mr. Hubbard was born May 13, 1833, in Hamilton county, New York. He moved from Chicago to Grand Haven in 1856, and established the first hardware store in the town, and he ever since been closely identified with our city’s history. He was mayor in 1872, 1878 and 1880, and was for several years alderman of the First ward. Mr. Hubbard was prominent in Masonic circles, being made a Mason in Grand River Lodge of Grand Rapids in 1860, and was a member of the Grand Haven lodge. He was charter member of Grand Haven Lodge No. 139 F. & A. M. and Corinthian Chapter No. 84 Royal Arch Masons, in this city, having been exalted in Grand Rapids Chapter No. 7, and was also a member of the Grand Haven Council No. 51 Royal and Select Masters; also member of De Molai Commandry, Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, and also a member of the Scottish Rite, having received the 32 degree and Master of the Mystic Shrine. The funeral will take place as soon as the body arrives, probably Thursday or Friday, and will be conducted under the auspices of Grand Haven Lodge No. 139 F. & A. M.

   Mr. Hubbard leaves a wife and two married daughters, a son and a number of other relatives.



Geo. Hubbard Laid to Rest.

   The funeral of our friend and townsman Geo. E. Hubbard was held at two o’clock yesterday and was very largely attended. Grand Haven Lodge 139 F. & A. M. of which Mr. Hubbard had long been a faithful active member, had charge of the funeral. The Masons numbering about 100 left the Hall promptly at 1:30 p. m. for the residence and accompanied the remains to the Presbyterian church where the Rev. J. H. Sammis delivered a timely and able sermon, speaking of the service their dead friend and brother had been to city, church and Lodge. After the service at the church the procession formed and led by the Grand Haven Band followed by Masons, Mayor and Common Council and a large number of friends in carriages passed down Franklin street and over the hill to the beautiful Lake Forest cemetery, where amidst flowers and evergreens they deposited their friend and brother in his last earthly resting place. The beautiful Masonic services at the grave was conducted by W. M. Finch assisted by the Masonic brothers.


   Common council - met August 1, 1891, at 7:30 p. m., with President Boyce in the chair. Present, Recorder, Aldermen Bryce, Boyce, Bos, DeGlopper, Nyland and Vaupell, Absent, the Mayor, Aldermen Kamhout and Thielman. Quorum present. President Boyce stated the objective of the meeting, whereupon Alderman Vaupell offered the following and moved its adoption:

    Another distinguished citizen has passed away. Last Sunday morning the telegraph wire came laden with the sad tidings of the death of George E. Hubbard. He died far from home, and wife, and children, and old friends still not friendless, for his qualities of head and hearts won friends everywhere. His death comes to all of us with startling distinctness, and with our Council chambers still draped in mourning we have just returned in sorrow from another open grave. "Truly death leaves a shining mark."

   George E. Hubbard has lived in our midst for thirty-five years. He was long prominent in business here. None ever knew him to do a dishonest act. His hand was open, his ear attentive to the call of suffering his heart was warm with sympathy for man, woman and child. The world is better because such men have lived. Three times he was elected to the highest place in our city government. for several years he represented his ward in the Council. He was a faithful, efficient officer. He did his duty as he saw it, fearlessly and well. "Taken in all he was a man." It is by the Common Council of the city of Grand Haven

   Resolved, 1st. That we mourn the death of our lamented friend and fellow citizen George E. Hubbard, and we tender to his afflicted family or sympathy in their great bereavement.

   2nd. That as a token of respect the Council attend the

   3d. That the Council chamber be draped in mourning for the space of thirty days.

   4th. That a copy of this preamble and resolution be spread at large upon the public records and that a certified copy be forwarded by the Recorder to the widow of the deceased.

   Seconded by Alderman Bryce and adopted by a voice of all Aldermen present.

   On motion of Alderman DeGlopper the Council adjourned.




F. & A. M. Memorial Services.

    The most interesting event which has occurred in Masonic circles in this city for some time, was the Geo. E. Hubbard memorial services Saturday night, and the presentation by Mrs. Geo. E. Hubbard, and the acceptance and grateful acknowledgement by the Lodge, of a life like portrait of her deceased husband.

   The picture is very fine and life like, nearly life size, and enclosed in an elegant gold leaf frame, and will not be not only an ornament to the Lodge, but will always be a pleasant reminder of the deceased, dearly beloved member of the fraternity.  The impressive services were ably conducted, and were in every respect a success, eminently befitting the occasion.

   The meeting was opened by the Master, Chas C. Findley, who called the Past Masters to seats on the platform.  Rev. Bennett, of the M. E. church offered prayer, which was followed by an anthem from the choir, “By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept when we remembered thee O’ Zion!”  The presentation speech, on behalf of Mrs. Hubbard, was made by David E. Rose, of Chicago, and was carefully prepared and delivered.

   An able response and acceptance of the picture on behalf of the Lodge, was made by Mr. Robert Finch.

   The choir then gave a selection which was followed by the reading of letters of regret from Mr. H. E. Elkington, of Chicago; and Hon. H. H. Holt, of Muskegon.  Interesting addresses were also made by Messrs. Chas. T. Pagelson, W. J. H. Sanders, Geo. D. Turner, Mark Burd, A. McKinsey, Chas. Dickenson and H. Howe, of Spring Lake.

   The choir sang “Auld Lang Syne” and the services closed with a benediction by the chaplain.

   A unanimous vote of thanks were tendered the choir from the Second Reformed church for the excellent singing furnished and which added largely to the interest of the meeting.

   The success of the services was largely due to the efforts of the committee of arrangements comprising W. J. H. Sanders, Wm. Harper, Chas. C. Findley, S. Dickenson, Wm G. Wolfe, Mark Burd and Harry Oaks.



    EDISON PHONOGRAPH―Dealers wanted in every town in the State of Michigan to sell it, and handle our goods.  Splendid opportunity to energetic men.  For particulars address The North American Phonograph Co., Masonic Temple, Chicago, Ill.



An Old Salt.

    Probably no other person in Michigan has led a more interesting life on the rolling main than Chas. T. Pagelson of Grand Haven.  He has made two voyages around the entire world, and numberless others between different countries.  When a boy of 14 he shipped on a vessel plying between Denmark and the West Indies.  In those early days a boy’s life on shipboard was a “dog’s life.”  Three sound beatings a day were considered a pretty fair voyage by the seafaring youth of that time, and Mr. Pagelson has often said that he got his quota.

   After this he made voyages to nearly every land and clime under the sun from the Arctic to the Antarctic ocean, and around the world by Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope.  He has visited all the principal sea ports of the world.  The coast of the United States, Mexico and South America have been traveled by him and last but not least, a 400 mile voyage up the great South American river, the Orinoco.  This last, Mr. Pagelson says, was his most interesting cruise.

   Mr. Pagelson is now 62 years old.  A Dane by birth, he speaks six languages fluently.  During his twenty years residence in Grand Haven, he has held many positions of official trust, and is held in highest esteem by the citizens.  He is also a Free Mason of long and high standing.―Detroit Journal.



[Article listing for 3/23/1893 in the Tribunes annual article chronology on 12/30/1893:

3/23/1893 - Coopersville Masonic Lodge dedicated.]




[Masonic Temple - Chicago World's Fair 1893]

    It took 80,000 men seven years to erect King Solomon’s temple.  The great 21-story Masonic Temple in Chicago, which is nearly three times the height of King Solomon’s, was run up in two years by less than 1000 men.



  ““After Us What” was a scholarly essay by Henrietta J. Pagelsen.  It was a look forward into the century yet to come.  The United States with its 60,000,000 of people at present will have 600,000,000 in a century from now the speaker said, and its area will extend from the North Pole to the Isthmus of Panama.  Cities which now have 1,500,000 people will have a population of 19,000,000 and buildings like the Masonic Temple in Chicago will represent the architecture and size of that future age.”

[Excerpt from the 1893 Grand Haven High School Commencement Ceremony article “School Days Ended.”   The complete article can be seen at:



   From the D., G. H. & M. dock to the top of the big sand hill across the river is said to be a good half mile.  People seen on the hill from the docks appear as diminutive as people seen from the Masonic Temple of Chicago.

   [Note:  The ‘big sand hill across the river across the river’ would come to be called ‘Dewey Hill in 1898 after Admiral Dewey’s victory at Manila Bay in the Spanish American War.]



Death of A. Knudson.

    Andrew Knudson, and old resident of Ferrysburg, died early this morning at the home of his son, P. A. Knudson in Grand Rapids, where he had been visiting for a day or two.  His death was caused by bronchial pneumonia.

   Mr. Knudson was born in Bergen, Norway.  He immigrated to America in 1863 and lived in Ferrysburg since that year, being one of the oldest settlers of the town.  He was a machinist by trade and for twenty years worked for Ferry Bros.  he has also worked for Johnston Bros. at Ferrysburg, at Bloecker’s foundry and at the Dake Works.

   Mr. Knudson was a member of Spring Lake lodge of Masons and of the Arbeiter Verein of this city.  He leaves two children, Peter A. Knudson and Mrs. O. Jorgenson of Grand Rapids.

   As will be remembered, his wife died about six weeks ago.  The family have the sympathy of their many friends in this vicinity.

   Funeral tomorrow afternoon from the church in Ferrysburg at 2:45 o’clock under Masonic auspices.  



   The lakes can now boast of a hydroelectric office, located as No. 1621 Masonic building, Chicago.  Although it will not furnish information of icebergs and storm areas, as do the coast offices, yet it will prove valuable to captains of lake vessels who will take the trouble to call on the officers occasionally.  Nearly 8,000 charts of all the waters of the earth are kept on hand for free use of navigators, and sailing directions will be given when requested.—Marine Record.



Capt. J. F. Smallman Dead.




   Capt. J. F. Smallman has made his last voyage.  The well known commander of the steamer City of Milwaukee passed into the other world at ten minutes to five this morning, at his apartment in the Norris House.

   For the past six years Capt. Smallman has been suffering from diabetes though he had never given up to the sickness except for a short time last fall.  For the past two weeks many have noticed that the captain looked ill and seemed to be making and effort to keep up.  His illness took a serious turn at Milwaukee Sunday, but he kept to the boat.  Yesterday the steamer City of Milwaukee made a special trip to this port to bring its commander home.  The steamer arrived here at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.  Capt. Smallman was tenderly carried by cot, from the steamer to his home.

   The sight was a sad one, and seemed to be a premonition of his death, within a short time.  Many faces were turned on the patient sufferer as he was carried to his home, and many an expression of sorrow was heard for the sick man.  After reaching his home the captain appeared to rest more easily and at eight o’clock rallied somewhat and talked to those about him.  From that time until 5 this morning he lingered, and at that early hour he passed away and his suffers were over.

   Capt. J. F. Smallman was born on Prince Edward Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, 56 years ago the 15th of last August.  The geographical position of the island of his birth, would naturally incline a youth to a sea faring life, and when 15 years of age he took to the ocean and has ever since been on the water.  His first chance was to the sunny land of Italy. 

   During the war Capt. Smallman commanded Gen. Foster’s staff boat, the John C. Farron, which plied from New York and along the southern coast.

   Since 1866 the captain has been in command of boats on Lake Michigan.  In fact since 24 years of age he has been a commander and was one of the youngest captains on salt water, at that time.

   It was he who brought out the Goodrich steamer Muskegon, which boat is still in service.  The ill-fated Alpena and the Muskegon were sister boats and on the night the Alpena went down, Gen Smallman passed her with the Muskegon, when the storm was already raging.

   In 1881 the steamer City of Milwaukee came out.  She was one of the handsomest boats on the Great Lakes and Capt. Smallman was put in command of her.  He has piloted that boat through many severe storms and perilous positions since, but always came into port unharmed.  During his long years as captain, not a man under him on ship board has been killed.  He had the reputation of being one of the safest captains on the lakes to which his good record would attest.  In calm, storm or fog the City of Milwaukee was always on time when the other line boats would be hours later.

   As a lake commander Capt. Smallman has no equal, and in his death the Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee line lose their oldest and best officer.

   Capt. Smallman leaves a wife and two children; Mrs. A. P. Burland of Chicago and Geo. Smallman of this city.  His mother and other relatives are also living in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

   The funeral will occur Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock from his home under Masonic auspices and his remains will be buried in Lake Forest Cemetery.

   Capt. Smallman has lived in Grand haven for 25 years and always took pride in the city.  His death will be mourned by a large circle of friends, who can express their sympathy to his bereaved family.

   Capt. Smallman belonged to the Masonic order and was a lover of Masonic work although he did not have much time devoted to it.  He requested that his funeral be under Masonic auspices.  He was admitted to Grand Lodge No. 189 F. & A. M. by demit from St. Andrews Lodge, No. 16, New Brunswick on Feb. 9, 1881.  On June 27, 1882 he joined Corinthian Chapter, No. 84, B. A. M. of this city.



   The funeral of Capt. Smallman occurred this afternoon from his home and was one of the largest ever held in Grand Haven.  The Masonic fraternity, fellow officers and sailors and many friends form here and elsewhere attended.  The funeral sermon was by Rev. R. Lewis.  The remains were interred in Lake Forest cemetery and a good man and model citizen was at rest.

   The floral tribunes at the funeral of Capt. J. F. Smallman this afternoon were beautiful.  Friends from Grand Rapids, Chicago, Milwaukee, Muskegon and this city contributed pretty wreaths and designs.  One of the most beautiful … in the way of a floral offering was a design of the steamer City of Milwaukee, which Capt. Smallman had commanded so long and one of which boat he was so proud.  It was almost exact imitation in miniature of the handsome boat.  Her paddle wheels, cabin, walking beam, and the captain’s bridge and pilot house were all conspicuous.  English violets, carnations and other flowers contributed to its make up.  This was an offering from the officers and crew of the City of Milwaukee.  The Masonic Lodge and D., G. H. & M. freight house employees also contributed beautiful flowers.



[Article listing for 12/27/1893 in the Tribunes annual article chronology on 12/30/1893:

12/27/1893 - Masonic lodges install officers.]




Death of Myron Scott.

   It is with a deep sense of personal loss that the Tribune announces the death of Myron Scott, which occurred at four o’clock yesterday afternoon.  Although he has been sick and confined to his home since last November, and the last few weeks has been gradually sinking, still his demise is no less a painful shock to his many friends.

   His death was caused by catarrh of the stomach, contracted by exposure in service.

   Myron Scott was born in West Dresden, near Geneva, N. Y., forty-nine years ago the fourth of last March.  His birthday was in the beautiful lake region of the Empire State and when quite young he was engaged on of the small steamers that ply on Seneca Lake.

   When the war started, Mr. Scott, though then but a lad, enlisted and went to the front.  He served two years in Co. H., 33d N. Y. Volunteers, a regiment made up of men living in the counties adjoining the birthplace of Mr. Scott.  He participated in the first battle of Bull’s Run and Harper’s Ferry, also in the memorable contest at Antietam.  At Fredericksburg he was wounded in two places and captured by the confederates.  After capture he was made a prisoner in old, historic Libby, where he was for some time.  A brother was killed in the battle of the Wilderness.

   In 1863 deceased came to Grand Haven, and has been an honored and respected citizen ever since.  Shortly after arriving he engaged on the tug Jones.  For nearly twenty years he was the employ of White & Friant as engineer of their tugs and steamers, in the lumber business.  Among the boats in which he sailed here were the tugs Miranda, St. Mary, (old) Tempest, Stewart Edward, and Claude and the propellors White & Friant and Tempest, sailing on every lake of the great chain.

   Mr. Scott was married in 1867 and three sons blessed the union, Eugene A., Arthur A., and M. Kingsbury.

   Eight years ago Mr. Scott was appointed one of the board of government steamboat inspectors with an office here.  Mr. Scott was boiler inspector, and Capt. Dodge, the other member of the board was inspector of hulls.  Together they traveled many miles in the course of their duty, in the district over which they had jurisdiction.

   Mr. Scott succeeded Mr. Cowan to the office of inspector, the latter being now engineer of the Auditorium, Chicago.

   For some time Mr. Scott’s health has been failing and in late fall he … remained indoors most of the time since.  A few weeks ago he tendered his resignation as inspector, since which time, inspector boards of other districts have attended to the business of this district. 

   Deceased was a member of Weatherwax Post, G. A. R. and also a member of Ex-Prisoner’s Association.  He has held a number of offices in the G. A. R.

   Mr. Scott was a member of Grand Haven Lodge No. 139, Free and Accepted Masons, and was king in Corinthian Chapter, No. 84, R. A. M., and Thrice Illustrious — Master of Grand Haven Council, No. 51, R. & S. M.  He was also charter member of several marine engineer’s lodges.

   He was a prominent member of Muskegon Commandery, Knight’s Templar, under whose auspices his funeral will be conducted.

   The entire community will mourn the death of Myron Scott.

   Mr. Scott was a man to be admired and loved by all who were so fortunate to share his acquaintance.  Kind and gentle in the extreme, and of modest disposition, a harsh word was a stranger to his lips.  After his amiable family, the marine engineers of this city will most certainly mourn his death.  During the eight years that he was a local boiler inspector, he made a friend of every engineer with home he was connected.

   The funeral tomorrow will undoubtedly be very impressive.  It will be held from the residence on Water St., at two o’clock tomorrow afternoon under the auspices of the Knight’s Templar.  The Masonic orders will attend as escort.



   The white sand bluffs of Michigan, 58 miles away, can be seen from the Masonic Temple in Chicago.